Saturday, September 27, 2014

The "Son" is Still Shining!

Yes, Autumn is officially here
 on the coast of Maine,
at least according to the calendar,
but with temperatures this week 
in the 70s and 80s...

 
Well...
I guess we're getting a bit of that
"Indian Summer"
that comes every fall!

The flowers are still blooming...


And...we are still picking
 produce from the garden...
such a blessing!

A flock of wild turkeys...heading for our garden out front!

Yesterday, these lovely ladies thought they
might "help" us out
with our gardening chores...

I think the were after the seeds from these...


We have had the most beautiful crop
of sunflowers this year...
Some growing well over the top of
my little greenhouse!

And speaking of sunflowers,
yesterday my son was invited
to a friend's house for dinner
and a little birthday party for mama...

He wanted to take a little something for her...

I had this material...
And since it was such a
"sunflowery" kind of day...


I decided to whip up one of these little
aprons for a dish detergent bottle...
She has a very "country" kitchen
so I knew she would love one of these.


I added two cotton crocheted dishcloths
to the little package...


She just loved it!
And she sent this home to thank me!


What a "berry" special treat!

What a beautiful summer we have had...
Such an amazing blessing...
And, even on cloudy days,
these lovely sunflowers
 have been a
constant reminder to me that
the "Son" continues to shine...
No matter what the weather!


"and His face shone like the sun..."
Matthew 17:2

16 comments:

  1. What lovely pictures!! The sunflowers are gorgeous, I love sunflowers and yellow. :) And the apron idea for the soap bottle is so cute! I would love to make some crocheted dish cloths just like that. That was very thoughtful of your friend to give the apples and strawberries in return! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miss Amy,
      Thank you so much for your sweet comments! The dish cloths are ever so easy to make...they only take me about 20 minutes tops. I make up a whole bunch (usually while I'm waiting for appointments or to pick someone up) so that I have them to give away in a gift or whenever a friend might like one. If you email me...I will send you one and the pattern so that you can make some of your own!

      Hope you are having a blessed weekend!
      With hugs,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for you thoughtfulness and kindness, Mrs Laura!! I would love to receive the pattern for the dish clothes, I have actually been wanting to make some for my hope chest for quite awhile now. =)

      Delete
    3. I'd be delighted to send it to you, Miss Amy! And how wonderful that you are making things to fill your hope chest. I don't have any daughters (yet!) but I have been working on items for the young ladies that the Lord will bring into my sons' lives...my hope chest belonged to my nana...she gave it to me when I was just a little girl. It sits in our home as a constant reminder of all the love she shared through the things she taught me.
      Sweet blessings,
      Mrs. Laura

      P.S. Just go to my profile and you can email me through there...

      Delete
  2. The sunflowers are beautiful and so cheerful! Your apron was adorable and how nice of her to send the fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the fruit was such a nice treat! The strawberries were so fresh...nature's candy! Over the summer, her son picked me an entire cooler full of blueberries from their blueberry fields...what a blessing that was! I just love having berries in the freezer during the cold winter months...reminds me that spring isn't that far away!

      Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
      Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. You make the cutest things, Laura!! That was a tasty "thank you!" Just love sunflowers and your pictures are so pretty. Have a lovely fall season!
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, Kathy! And thank you for your sweet comments. I just love making these little aprons...they are so easy to make and always come out cute...no matter what material I choose.

      Hope you are enjoying the fall...is it cold in Illinois right now? Not sure about your seasons as I have never been there!
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
    2. We have been having very warm weather here- 80's! This is unusual for Illinois. We have a definite change of seasons. We had a lovely summer and everyone I talk to says we're in for another bad winter just like last year. We are prepared- LP gas bought, canned, frozen and stored veggies from our garden, and a stockpile of everyday items we use. Hope we both have a mild winter!
      God bless, Kathy

      Delete
    3. Sounds like us, Kathy! They say that we are in for another "bad" winter...so we've been splitting wood, canning and freezing, getting proects done...yesterday we brushed the chimney and cleaned out the cookstove. Today was in the low 80s...but they are predicting tomorrow to be in the 50s...brrrrrrrrrrr!
      Stay warm!
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Oh Laura, thank you so much for stopping by my little place... it has been a very rough year for us here in PA. Son back from college, Miss A. is growing quite well - praises to Our Lord for this! - middle son in 3rd year of high school...busy with illness, and work. But through it all, I am in awe of the love and mercy from Our Lord Jesus...through Him and in HIM is all things indeed!

    The temps are quite high here also ;) Indian summer is visiting, but it is good. It gives me a chance to pack the garden up and get ready for winter. It promises to be a cold one just like all the others. I don't mind, Our Lord is good and has provided!

    love,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, dear Maria! I was afraid we had lost contact...although I have been keeping you and your family in my prayers.Sounds as though we are all "feathering our nests" for the winter!

      Hope you have a very blessed week!
      With love and hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Dear Teri,
    It is such nice to be in contact with you again...seems as though this year has just "slipped away" from us. I have missed my blogger friends dearly, and hope to make this more of a habit now that fall is upon us. Summers are always so busy! I will be stopping by to visit your sweet little cottage again very soon!
    With hugs and love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Laura, I had given up hope that I would ever hear from you! I know you have had a busy summer. I love your sunflowers! Amazing that you still have warm temps and veggies in the garden. Wishing you a lovely fall day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sweetie, please don't give up on me!!! We have had a busy summer, like everyone, but I look forward to a quieter fall and more time to catch up with "friends!" So nice to hear from you!
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  7. I am always so blessed and renewed by the homey, warm feel of your writing and posts. Your photos are always so beautiful, too. What gorgeous sunflowers you have growing outside! They truly are a cheerful reminder.

    I just love the gift you made. It is so cute and such a neat idea- so country sweet. How wonderful it is to be able to give someone something you made from the heart.

    I hope you are having a wonderful Autumn so far!
    Wishing you a lovely weekend. Thank you also for your kind comments on my blog that are always a joy to read and a lift to my heart and spirits.

    Hugs to you,
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...