Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Circle Of Friends...

Two mornings a month...
I get together with some lovely ladies
to make dolls...


We get together in our little village church...
through the fall, winter, spring, and summer...


to make dolls.


We each bring a bag lunch
and spend several hours together
sewing and knitting...
laughing and sharing...


The sewing circle has been in existence now
for over 50 years...
With each passing year,
we find new friends joining us...
While others go on to glory...
And the "circle" continues...


We make fisherman dolls,
their wives, mermaids,
specialty dolls,
and "lobsterettes."
Lobsterettes are our teenage
lobstergirl dolls.


The first Wednesday of every August
we have our annual doll, craft, and food sale.


Folks come from all over,
some returning year after year...
Arriving early to be one of the first
to choose a doll.


Along with the dolls
we also have crafts...


And food, of course!


All the proceeds made go to local charities
such as the volunteer firefighters and ambulance,
fuel assistance for the elderly,
our community churches,
scholarships for local students,
our local food bank,
and missionaries...
just to name a few.
So often we hear sweet words 
of praise from kind folks...
thanking us for giving our time
to bless others...
 

But truthfully...
We "get" far more blessings
than we "give"
in our little "circle of friends..."


If you're ever in the area, dear ladies...
we'd love to have you join us!


"Thou shalt surely give him,
 and thine heart shall not be grieved
 when thou givest unto him: 
because that for this thing the LORD thy God
 shall bless thee in all thy work,
 and in all that thou puttest thine hand unto..."
Deuteronomy 15:10

12 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely time you must have!! I'm envious :) I make dolls now and then, but what fun it would be to sew with a room full of good friends, for such good causes. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish you lived close by and could join us...what fun we'd have! I just love all the "crafts" you make...you are one talented lady, my friend!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. The dolls are just beautiful! What a special gift to share with others.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sarah. I so enjoy making them...but even more than that, enjoy spending time with these sweet ladies.
      Have a wonderful week!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. I would be so happy to join your doll making group.. How fun..
    They are such beautiful dolls.. and how blessed that you all are doing these for such great causes.. God bless each of you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Judy, I wish that you lived close enough to be part of our "circle!' You and I would never get anything done, I'm afraid, though...we would be at our sewing machines all the time! LOL!

      I'm so sorry to hear about your granddaughter, Callie...and we continue to hold her up in our prayers. Yesterday, during our time of worship, I shared about Callie with our friends and they are all praying for her and your family as well. God IS in control, dear friend...may you rest in the comfort of this truth.
      Love and hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Those are cute! =) That looks like something fun to do. Do you like sewing a lot?

    BTW, I found your blog through Jennifer's. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miss Amy,
      Thank you so much for stopping by for a little visit! I LOVE to sew...and craft...and knit and crochet...and embroider...well, you probably get the picture! :)

      These dolls are so fun to make...but what is even more of a blessing is the friendships I enjoy with these lovely women of all ages...such a precious time together. In fact, we have already begun our dolls for next summer...I just finished making some "jeans" for the fishermen...and this week I'll start on some dresses for the fishermens' wives. A lovely lady donated some of the sweetest little print cotton...I can't wait to start!

      Again, thank you for stopping by...come again!
      Sweet blessings,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your kind invitation, Maybe someday, we could come to visit. I've always thought Maine is a beautiful place. Yes, when I was young, my family and I lived up north. My siblings and I had lots of fun times playing in the snow during the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miss Amy,
      We do feel so blessed to live here...it truly is beautiful every season of the year. When my sons were little...they loved playing in the snow. In fact, they still love playing in the snow...we all do! :)

      Have a lovely weekend!
      Hugs,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  6. This sounds so wonderful. I long for community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Laura, this little group is such a blessing to me. I have learned so much from these ladies...and had such a wonderful time. We are starting on our dolls for next summer now...I' ve been hand sewing legs for the fishermen...got quite a few sets done!

      Have a lovely day...thanks for stopping by!
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...