A typical sunny summer morning...
I headed outdoors for some morning chores...
I just love working outside in the summer...
I had several things I hoped to accomplish
outside before the morning was over...
Mowing and trimming the lawn...
and hoeing the potatoes for the last time.
Call me foolish...
But I love to mow the lawn...
Even though I have a son
in the lawn care business.
Unfortunately,
I couldn't seem to get either the lawnmower
or the weed trimmer going
this particular morning...
this particular morning...
No matter how much I fussed with them.
I moved on to the potato patch...
Weeding, hoeing,
placing newspaper down between the rows
and then, finally,
covering the rows with wood shavings
to prevent further weeds.
Now, usually I keep my cell phone
with me at all times...
Even outside...
So that my parents can always reach me.
But this particular morning,
I had forgotten it on the kitchen counter
where it had been charging...
until I heard it ringing.
Jumping up from the potatoes
I ran to the back porch,
through the sliding door,
and went to grab the phone on the 5th ring...
Clumsy me!
I slipped, hit the phone,
and it flew across the counter
into my dishpan of soapy water.
In a panic,
I grabbed the phone, dried it off,
and remembered somewhere I had read
that you should put a wet cell phone in
a bag of rice to absorb the moisture.
I did this...
And went back to my potato garden.
Two hours later,
I tried the phone...
Let's just say I've had better days.
The lawnmower, the weed trimmer,
and now,
my cell phone...dead.
So, I decided to take a break
and check my e-mail...
(did I mention that our laptop
was also acting funny???)
And decided to see if anyone
had another idea for "drying out" cell phones.
I'm so thankful that I did!
I found a video on youtube...
And the gentleman suggested
using the suction hose from a vacuum cleaner.
I took the hose,
cupped my hand around it to create
a better suction...
And "vacuumed" my phone!
IT WORKED!!!!
Just wanted to share this amazing tip
with all of you...
Just in case you have
one of those "close calls"...
By the way,
my day continued to improve...
while folding laundry...
I heard a familiar noise outside...
A little "elf" was mowing my lawn...
I don't know how he knew...
He just knew.
How marvelous are the blessings
of our Lord...
each and every day!
of our Lord...
each and every day!
" But my God shall supply all your need
according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus..."
Philippians 4:19









Isn't there something called "Murphy's Law"? :)
ReplyDeleteI like to mow the yard too; don't trust anyone else around the flower beds. But I can't run a weed eater and no one else will so I have to use Round Up and that leaves a little tan border around everything!
Oh...you had me in stitches over the "round-up"! We received a free bottle of that once...and I tried it..so I definitely know what you mean about the "little tan border!" Have you ever tried spraying vinegar directly on what you want "gone"? It will kill weeds (and your flowers, so be careful!) when the sun hits it. I use along my walkway...works like a charm!
DeleteHave a wonderful week!
Hugs,
Laura
I've had days like these too, Laura! It's always something! So glad everything turned out ok for you. Josh is a special son! How nice of him to mow your yard. God always provides!
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Kathy
Yes, Josh is special, for sure! God has blessed us with three amazing sons...all with unique talents. He certainly was a blessing that day!
DeleteSweet blessings, my friend,
Laura
What a great post! God does provide for us, doesn't He? That's good to remember on tough days.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your weekend,
Judy
I try to look for those little "blessings" each and every day, Judy. Sometimes, if I'm not mindful of watching for them, I miss some of the most wonderful blessings of all!
DeleteHave a lovely week!
Laura
Laura,
ReplyDeleteSo sorry my friend, that your day was so bad... But very happy that you saved your cell phone..[have done it too..yuck]..
What a beautiful potato bed.. Has the rest of your garden died out? Ours has.. Only okra left..
Hugs,
Judy
Thank you! Our potatoes are a bit late this year...we got them in late. The rest of our garden is still coming as well...I'll post some pictures for you! Our season is much later than yours, I think.
DeleteLove you!
Laura
So glad you were able to get your cell phone working again! I have used the rice before, but never heard of using the vacuum - thank you for the information. My husband accidentally left his cell phone in his pants and I washed them in the washer. . .we didn't realize what had happened until I threw the jeans into the dryer and we heard a loud clanging noise - the cell phone hitting the sides of the dryer. Lets just say rice did not help the phone! I don't think anything would help after it being in a washing machine :) haha
ReplyDeleteHugs to you, sweet Laura!
Oh, Steph...so sorry to hear about the cell phone! I almost did that to Josh's computer "stick" which had all his billing info on it! I'm not always great with checking pockets...but the Lord was watching over us for sure...and I just happened to this time. What a blessing! Josh had been a nervous wreck because he couldn't find it...
DeleteHope you have a wonderful week...love your new blog!
Hugs,
Laura
Hi, Laura,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you could get your phone working again! I've heard of the rice trick, but not the vacuum hose. I've never gotten my phone wet so I haven't had to try it, but I'll keep it in mind. I just have a Tracfone flip phone that stays off unless I go out, then I'll turn it on. I know, I'm in the ancient times. LOL!
How nice of your little elf to drop by. Is that Josh? I know he must be excited about getting married. Have they set a date?
Hope you have a great week, sweet friend.♥
Up until this past year...I had a tracfone just for emergencies, too, Melanie! But when Mom and Dad started needing more care...we had to get one where they could reach me at any time.
DeleteYou must be getting ready for back to school! Miss Katie is growing up so fast...
Have a wonderful week, dear friend!
Love,
Laura
P.S. No date set yet! We are all very excited!
Sounds like a busy day!! =) I'm glad things turned out better for you. Your potato garden looks lovely!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Miss Amy! We've just begun to dig up the potatoes for this year...we had a strange thing happen that I will post on later. Looks like we've been blessed with an abundance again...God is so good!
DeleteHave a lovely day!
Hugs,
Mrs. Laura