Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Unraveled..

The blessing of homemade cotton dishcloths...


 I make these by the hundreds...

Simple, quick projects to take along
with me during appointments...

A gift to pass along to someone else
whenever I send homemade goodies
or my "ladies" farm fresh eggs...

Yet, sometimes cotton yarn can be expensive
and in short supply here on the coast...

 

 So I have found another means 
to keep the blessing going...
and I thought I'd share it with my dear friends...

I keep my eyes open for 100 % cotton sweaters
at thrift stores and yard sales...
and I unravel them.

It is amazing...
the amount of yarn you can get
from one sweater...
not to mention the gorgeous colors.
For me,
this unraveling is such a joy...
for I know in the end it will bring a blessing...

But how often do we feel joy
when life seems to "unravel?"

Unexpected set-backs, unexplained illness,
financial difficulties, bruised relationships,
the list seems to go on and on...

And yet,
our Lord has told us to 
"count it all joy..." (James 1:2)

All Joy...

And so I continue to look for the blessings
in the unraveling  of life...
and give thanks for it all...
and remember the sweet words of my nana...

"Hem your blessings with thankfulness 
so they don't unravel..."

 Thankfulness...such a wise lady...

And now I will head out in the swirling snow


and give thanks for the pile of firewood
that gives us such warmth..

May your day be filled with joy today
dear friends...

 
"In every thing give thanks:
 for this is the will of God 
in Christ Jesus concerning you..."
I Thessalonians 5:18

18 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post, Laura. What a great idea to recycle the yarn from old sweaters. Joining you in counting my blessings this day. Enjoy your afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Mildred! Thank you for stopping by for a little visit...and for counting your blessings with me! His gifts are endless and amazing...
      Have a lovely day!
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Oh Laura! What a timely post for me! I also put some balls of yarn to good use in my blog today. We had similar "frugal" ideas. Do you ever get tangles in the yarn? I do, and spend a lot of frustrating time getting them straight.

    Yes, I need to count my blessings today because the sun is shining before another round of cold, cold weather. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I giggled all morning after reading your post, Charlotte! Yes, sometimes I do get tangles...but I've discovered that my seam ripper is my best friend! I also look for sweaters that are more loosely knit...the tighter ones are much more difficult to unravel!
      Have a lovely day...and stay warm!
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Laura, you are a very wise lady.. And what wonderful colors you have gotten from that sweater.. That cast away sweater will bring great joy to your recievers.. How very sweet of you to do this..
    Sending prayers and hugs to you my friend..
    ps the snow looks cold.. We are getting snow flurries here today.. No accumlation... but really cold.. Looking forward to spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Judy, you are so sweet...but I am far from wise...just a sinner saved by His amazing grace! I have to admit...I do enjoy searching for cotton sweaters in really unique colors. Sometimes I get rather peculiar looks from the cashiers...for the sweater might be rather "unbecoming"...but the color might be fabulous! I just smile...

      We got quite a little storm yesterday...but today is bright and beautiful! Heading down the road to shovel at mom and dad's.
      Have a blessed day, dear friend!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura, I am so glad you commented on my blog because it led me to your blog, what a neat trick to unravel thrifted sweaters! I think we may be kindred spirits,
    I've only read one of your posts and am looking forward to reading more.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you stopped by for a visit, Rhonda...and I really enjoyed reading your post about the sewing spider! I'm going to do some sewing this afternoon (after we shovel out some more...that is!) and I'm going to try your handy dandy little idea! Thanks so much for sharing!
      Have a wonderful day!
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Your work is so lovely!! What a neat idea to get yarn from sweaters. What gorgeous colors. It is so thoughtful of you to make these and share them with others.

    Your words were such a blessing to read today, and this was just a beautiful post! Also, I so loved your Nana's words.

    May you have the most blessed day!

    Hugs,
    Jazzmin ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Miss Jazzmin! So nice to have you stop by for a little visit! How is school going? What are you studying this year? You are in our daily prayers...school can be challenging at times...but is always exciting!

      I so enjoy looking through thrift and antique stores...as I know you do too! I am always on the "lookout" for sweater that would make pretty dishcloths...among other things on my list! (You should see my used book list!)
      Have a lovely day!
      Hugs,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post! I love your idea of using old, re-cycled sweaters. What a great idea! I love to crochet! Do you ever share your pattern to make the little washcloths? They are so pretty! BTW, I am your newest follower! I love your blog. So glad I stopped by Holley's and found you today. God bless you, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Cheryl, and thank you so much for visiting! I have quite a few patterns that I enjoy...I'll try to do a post on some of my favorites soon. So glad you stopped by...I'll be over to visit you!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  7. I love to make those dish cloths and give away too! I stocked up quite some time ago at Michaels when there was a sale. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Nancy...thank you so much for stopping by! Lucky you, to have a Michael's close by! Our nearest large sewing/craft store is at least an 90 minutes in any direction. So....I don't get to the "big city" too often! It is such a treat when I do...and I try to stock up on some of my favorite craft supplies as well!
      Have a blessed day!
      Laura

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you shared this again today. I hopped over from a blog hop, but I looked at several this morning and can't remember which one!

    I remember reading in a book, Number the Stars, about a girl who unraveled an old skirt or sweater and knitted something new. Sometimes new materials simply weren't available during WWII. Sometimes we simply cannot get them ourselves now. I do love a thrifty idea. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm glad to have found your blog. I'll be reading more. I invite you for a visit as well.

    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laura,
      Thank you so much for stopping by...and for your sweet comment! I love thrifting as well...creating something with little or no cost...nothing better!

      I will stop by for a visit soon...thank you for inviting me!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  9. What a great lesson for the day! I love that God can make all things new!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Stephanie! Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...