Monday, February 10, 2014

A Celebration of Life...

Balloons hanging from the signpost...


And a few more on the kitchen door...


Birthday traditions.

Friday evening,
we celebrated a life...


My mom...


born in 1929...
the daughter of a farmer...


She married her high school 
sweetheart...

That's me in between my two big sisters!

 Raised 10 children...

I miss you every day, big brother...

One, of whom
was called home
in November...
 
All but my nephew, Brian, were here for this photo...

A legacy of grandchildren
and great-grandchildren...


91 years...
so much to celebrate!

As we sat around the dinner table...
telling stories...
reminiscing...

It occurred to me
that our birthday celebrations
are just another gentle reminder
of the "life" we should be celebrating
every day...

"Jesus said to her, 
“I am the resurrection and the life. 
Whoever believes in me, though he die, 
yet shall he live, and everyone who lives 
and believes in me shall never die..."
John 11:25

And the gifts we gift...
But a small representation
of the amazing "gift" 
given by our Lord... 

"But the gift of God is eternal life 
in Christ Jesus our Lord..."
Romans 6:23

 
Happy Birthday, mama...
We love you so!

17 comments:

  1. I especially love the last photo of your Mom. Her smile is so warm and genuine. Thank you for sharing this celebration. I know you all miss your brother very much. So thankful that through Jesus, we have Eternal Life and will be together one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Mildred...isn't that a great photo! She really is "a piece of cake"...sweet, funny, full of life. Thank you for your kind words...I do miss him so...but I'm so grateful to know that he is home with Jesus...what a comforting blessing.
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! So many happy years with your mother. My mama passed away at age 73 and Daddy at 99 1/2. I only have one sister, no brothers, and we don't see each other very much, so I do turn to God for comfort when lonely, and look forward to the day He comes to take us home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, Charlotte! I, too, look forward to that blessed day...yet enjoy each and every day He gives us with our loved ones here. Have a wonderful week!
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Happy, happy birthday to your mom.
    Such a fun happy day for your whole family.. My heart felt really sad for you all, missing Gary.. Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell mom that you said, "Happy Birthday", dear Judy. We did have a wonderful celebration...hard to imagine she's 91!
      Love and hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. So wonderful, Laura!
    Thanks for sharing :-)
    Blessings to you and your beautiful family :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by for a visit, Kath! It is always so nice to meet new friends. Have a blessed day!

      Delete
  6. Did you know that you have a heart shaped face? :) I always have to check when I see someone is from Maine. All of my husbands family is there and he grew up there.
    What a beautiful state it is! His family has an Island there that we love to visit each August.
    Stay warm and stay safe..
    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit, Mona...and for leaving such a sweet comment! We do love Maine...we live on the coast in a little fishing village. Where are your husband's family from? There are some lovely islands along our coastline!
      Have a blessed day!
      Laura

      Delete
  7. Oh, I'm so glad your sweet mom had a good birthday. :-) So nice to see her smiling face. What wonderful memories she must have made through all these years. Please wish her a belated happy birthday from me. I believe she and Katie do share the same birthday, don't they, on the 7th?
    I hope you're all staying warm. It is cold here with a snowy forecast for tomorrow night.
    Hugs to you, my sweet friend!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sweetie! Seems like it has been awhile since we've touched base. Please give Miss Katie 16 big hugs from us! She is growing up so quickly into such a lovely young lady! You and Lee are truly blessed.
      Hope you all are staying warm as well!
      Love and hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  8. This is a lovely birthday tribute to your mother, Laura! Happy belated birthday to her. So glad you have had your mother for so long. I'm glad you all had a fun day celebrating.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, Kathy! Hope you are all doing well...are you getting any of this crazy weather out there in Illinois? We are expecting another foot of snow tonight...counting the days til garden time!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  9. what a precious picture of your mama.....xxoo D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...isn't she just too cute! She's full of mischief...and joy. A great way to be at 91 years old!

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Teri! I hope that you and your lovely family had a wonderful Valentines day together. Before we know it...spring will be here!
    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...