Friday, February 14, 2014

The Best I Could Do...

Happy Valentine's Day, dear friends!

I awoke this snowy morning
to a beautiful bouquet of flowers
from my sweetheart...


I'm not quite sure just how he managed this...
For, like many of you,
we have been "shut down"
for the past week...

Two snowstorms...
Two separate power outages...
Two cars in the "shop"...
All of us here at home
battling with "flu-like" symptoms...
And a generator that wouldn't work...


Today we dug out from under
another snowstorm...

The big concern...
Getting the wet heavy snow
off the roof.

We spent the afternoon
at my parents...
Shoveling, sanding,
checking drains,
the standard "snow" stuff.

Afterwards,
we went in for a cup of tea
and some cookies...
I told my mom about
my beautiful bouquet...

"Wait til you see what I got!"
she said with a huge smile.

She grinned as she held it 
behind her back...
Then she showed us...


Evelyn,

Happy Valentines Day!

This is the best I could do.

Love you,
Warren

You see, my 90 year old dad
always makes mom a special card
on his computer...
and buys her some little treat
that he knows she will like...

But, because of the power outages,
and all the snow...
He just wasn't able to
accomplish his usual "surprise"...


If you didn't know better, though,
you would have thought 
that mom held a sack of gold
in her hand...

Because...
"the best he could do"
was to love her 
all these 70+ years...

It just doesn't get much
better than this...

After all,
Isn't that exactly what our Lord
commands of us?


"A new commandment I give unto you, 
That ye love one another; 
as I have loved you, 
that ye also love one another..."
John 13:34

21 comments:

  1. Precious post this Valentine's evening. Blessings to each of you. Hope you all feel better soon and that your weather conditions improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sweetie! Hope you had a wonderful Valentines day yesterday. We are expecting another foot of snow this evening...it is getting to be pretty standard stuff around here!
      Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Happy Valentines Day.
    What a wonderful dad you have..[and mama too],,I just know that this years card will be more cherished than any before.. Love is---showing you care...
    Just warmed my heart..
    Hope you and family feel better soon. I too am battling a cold..just praying the ole asthma don't take off..it usually does, if I get a cold..eeeh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Judy...I hope you get over this cold really quickly! I'll be praying for you, sweetie. We have had this "thing" all week...and just can't seem to shake it. We probably just keep passing it around to each other! Makes me tired...but hopefully it won't last too long. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Laura,

    What a sweet story! Your parents sound like a wonderful couple.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to have you stop by for a visit, Sarah! I do feel very blessed to have them as my parents.
      Have a wonderful weekend!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. This post warmed my heart!! So sweet! And your husband picked out such a lovely bouquet- those lovely colors! And I love your embroidery- so pretty. My Grandma has stayed a couple of days with us and she's helping me try it out :)

    I hope you have a blessed weekend!!

    Hugs to you,
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Miss Jazzmin...how wonderful that you got to spend some time with your grandma and that she is teaching you to embroider! I really love "redwork"...there is just something so simple, yet striking, about it. I like to take scripture verses and embroider them. Can't wait to see what you are working on!
      Hugs,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  5. Hi Ms. Laura,
    I wanted to comment again because I meant to write in my other comment that I pray you and your family feel much better soon!!
    Also, I just saw the comments you left me- thank you so much! Such a joy to read them all today!

    Hoping you get well soon and that your weather gets better♥

    Hugs,
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers, Miss Jazzmin! They mean so much to us. We are still a bit "under the weather"...but drinking lots of fluids and keeping warm by the wood stove! We just had another storm last night...this certainly has been an interesting winter! I see that you got a bit of snow in Texas...that must have been exciting! Have you ever been to the Northeast in the wintertime?

      Hope you have a wonderful week at school!
      Sweet blessings and hugs,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  6. I'd say both you and your Mom had very nice Valentine surprises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, dear Karen! Hope you had a wonderful Valentines day as well!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful post for Valentine's Day, Laura! Too sweet!! I hope my husband and I are like your parents when we get 90!! Love is meant to be shown every day not just at Valentine's Day and your parents exemplify that perfectly. Both your mom and you got lovely gifts. I hope you get over your flu. We had it over Christmas and it's not fun. We too have had TOO much snow and cold weather. We are hoping for an early spring!!
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathy,
      Thank you so much for your sweet comments and prayers. We are still dealing with this "bug"...just doesn't seem to want to leave us! So many people have been sick...we are just trying to keep it away from my parents.

      Keep warm, dear friend...spring cannot be far away!
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  8. What a thoughtful dad you have! And, what a thoughtful husband you have! So nice to be remembered on special days.

    We've actually had sunshine and warmer temperatures the last two days, so maybe there's " light at the end of the tunnel" for you. Hope you have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine and warmer temperatures...hurray!!! We had another storm last night...spent a good part of the morning clearing out...most churches were cancelled. But today is sunny and bright...and that is a blessing! Hope you have a blessed Sunday as well!
      With love,
      Laura

      Delete
  9. Happy Valentines Day, Teri! I hope you had a most wonderful day. Yes, I did receive some lovely "sweets" from all my "sweeties!" Thank you for your prayers...we are still a bit "under the weather" with this little bug...just can't seem to shake it! I hope it doesn't head your way!

    Have a wonderful week, dear friend!
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, bless your heart, Laura. Y'all have really been having a time of it!
    I hope you're feeling better now. There's been a lot of the flu stuff in our area too.
    Such a sweet little note your dad wrote. That is precious- something to treasure, which I'm sure your mom will.
    Yes, I wonder how your husband was able to get those flowers for you! :-)
    We, too, have been 'cooped up'- lots of shoveling trying to dig out. Thankfully we kept our power. It went off several times, but only for about ten seconds. We were so fortunate. Many in our area lost power for a while. Church was canceled this morning, but we hope to have school tomorrow. We were supposed to have been off for Presidents' Day, but we're using it as a make-up day. We had to cancel Thursday and Friday last week due to the storm.
    It has been quite a winter for sure!
    Hugs to you, my sweet friend. I hope you have a great week!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Melanie!

      Oh, I'm sorry that you have to use your vacation day as a snow day! This certainly has been quite a winter all over the country! People who have never seen snow before have even had their share of it this year. We spent most of yesterday cleaning up from Saturday night's storm...and they are predicting more snow tomorrow. Not sure how much yet...I'm getting so I don't even want to know ahead of time...we'll just deal with it when it gets here!

      Thank you so much for your sweet comments. We are beginning to feel a bit better here...can't believe how many have been sick this winter! Must be all the crazy weather...that's what my nana would have said!

      Hope you all have a great week, too! I think the schools around here have this whole week off.

      Take care and stay warm!
      Love and hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  11. Hi Mrs. Wiley!
    Just wanted to stop by and say I hope you all are feeling better very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lydia...I appreciate your care and concern!

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...