Wednesday, November 27, 2013

So Very Thankful...

Torrential rains...
High winds...
Coastal flooding...
Downed trees..
Power outages...

On one of the busiest traveling
days of the year...


We are so very thankful today that,
although we lost several big trees,
this one only nipped the corner 
of the chicken coop...


 As I was preparing pies this afternoon
and feeling so very thankful 
for the family that the Lord had
blessed me with...
I came across this message 
that my son, Joshua had written...
And I thought it fitting to share it tonight...

"So tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I imagine that many of my friends will be sharing about their Thanksgiving and what they are thankful for. So, in the spirit of the holiday, I just wanted to share what I was thankful for.

I believe that one of the signs that a man has truly come of age is when he realizes in his heart that he does not know everything. A man's pride is too often the culprit of his downfall...the Word of God says this over and over and over again! A quick example...Proverbs 16:18 says,

"Pride goes before destruction,
And a haughty spirit before a fall."

But Proverbs also has much to say about wisdom. Clearly pride and wisdom are foreign to each other...

"When pride comes, then comes shame;
But with the humble is wisdom." (11:2)

"By pride comes nothing but strife,
But with the well-advised is wisdom." (13:10)

A man does not know everything...he must be willing, with a spirit of humility, to seek the counsel of God first and foremost. Also, he must be humble enough to seek the direction of men of God who have gone before him...his father or his father-in-law, his brothers or brothers-in-Christ, or the elders in the church, just to name a few.

I am thankful for the men of God in my life whom I can confide in. Above all, I am thankful for my Heavenly Father and the promise He made recorded in James 1:5..."If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."


Wishing you all a blessed Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are safe after the storm and minimum damage to the coop..hopefully the chickens are all fine.
    What a blessing to have such a godly son, you certainly have done well in bringing him up to be a fine wise man.
    Wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you and yours a very blessed Thanksgiving day as well, Sherri!

      Delete
  2. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day, dear friend!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, what wonderful thoughts from Joshua! Does he still have his blog? I miss it. Wishing you and your wonderful family a happy Thanksgiving full of delicious food, loving family and many blessings to be thankful for.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy. No, Josh doesn't have his blog right now. Perhaps he will again in the future...Hope you and your family had a blessed Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. Wise words Laura... May this time be a time of healing and of joy! m.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...