Friday, October 18, 2013

Unexpected Visitors...

We just love having friends
and neighbors stop by for a visit...
And like to think that our door
is always open...


 Most days,
when you visit our home
you will find...


A candle burning in the window...

 
The teapot warming on the cook stove...


And a homemade goodie or two
sitting on the kitchen counter.


Friends and neighbors
often stop by to chat
and have a "mug up"...
or to bring our hens some table scraps...


And usually leave with a 
carton of fresh eggs from our "ladies..."


However,
we were taken aback
this week by some folks
 who stop by unexpectedly...
not just for a visit
or a cup of coffee...
but to discuss a matter of concern.

To be honest, at the time,
I was deeply hurt that they
had approached us concerning this matter.

Looking back...
I know that it must have
been weighing heavily on their hearts...

But in light of the circumstances
concerning my brother...

Well, it just seemed as though
this could have waited for another day.

I have to admit
that I had a difficult time focusing
on the conversation...
And I truly couldn't tell you
what most of my responses were...

Perhaps because I had had less than 
5 hours sleep in the previous two days.

As our visitor continued to share her feelings
My heart kept crying out...

"Why, Lord?
Why is she doing this now?
She knows what we are going through...
Can't she see that we are grieving?"

I wish that I could tell you
that the visit ended well...
That the matter was resolved
and that feelings were not hurt...
But sadly, this was not the case.
And, for that, I am deeply sorry.

Later, in bed,
 As I was praying for understanding...
My heart was convicted...

Of times when I, too,
Had felt so strongly compelled to share
some matter on my heart...
That I failed to consider
what the other person might be
dealing with in their life
at that moment.

And so the Lord,
In His most gentle and loving way,
 Reminded me once again
That all matters of the heart
 should first be bathed
heavily in prayer...

And never presented
"unexpectedly"...

"Therefore, 
whatever you want men to do to you,
 do also to them..."
 Matthew 7:12

11 comments:

  1. Oh my friend...it is hard to think of others, when something keeps at us and won't let us go. I am sorry that you were put in this situation. But I know that Our Lord was in control of it all right from the get go. My prayers continue to be with you Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of kindness, dear Maria. I am ever so thankful that God is constantly "refining" us...and guiding our pathway.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry, Laura! I wish I could be there to give you a big hug! I saw your other post about Gary and I'll keep praying for you guys. I know it's a lot on you right now. Warm hugs to you, my sweet friend~love you.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel...you are such a dear...and I treasure your friendship. You are just like a sister to me...and, of course, you are my sister in Christ. Thank you for your never ending support and love...sweet friend.
      Love you too,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Well, I don't like to see anyone hurt by another ones careless words when there are wounds already. But you have a good heart and went right to the Lord...unlike me, I must confess, who flies off the handle and 'then' has to go to the Lord to ask forgiveness.

    You, your family and Gary remain in my prayers through the day and I will add your extra burden to my list.

    Big hugs and love to you my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for keeping us in your prayers, Sherri...it means the world to me.

      Sweet blessings and love,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Laura, My heart goes out to you and your family in this hard time in your lives
    ..
    I am so sorry that your visitor, chose such a time to air her feelings..[It really makes me wonder what is wrong with this world ,that we seem to not see the hurts and troubles of others...and can only see our wants or needs at the time. so sad.] Try to take this visit from your mind.. You turned over to Our Lord, He will handle the hard feelings. Now, you just take care of Laura...her family. Try to get some rest my friend.. I wish so bad, I could be there for you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Judy...I praise God everyday for your friendship...you are truly a "treasure" to me. I honestly believe that this person did not mean to be insensitive...she was just dealing with her own feelings. The Lord was using this, I think, to remind me to be ever so careful with my words to others...I've thought a lot about that this week.

      Have a lovely weekend, dear friend...and thank you so much for your continued support.
      Love to you and Kenny...
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Oh, dear Teri...you are always so kind and thoughtful. I value your friendship...thank you for sharing our burden with us...and for your prayers.

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Laura,

    You are in my prayers as you go through this difficult time. May the LORD fill you with His perfect peace.

    The photos you shared in this post were so lovely! your cook stove is beautiful as are your sweet kitties.

    May you have a blessed weekend filled with the peace of Jesus!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to have you stop by for a visit, Sarah! Thank you for your sweet thoughts...they are so appreciated at this time.

      With love,
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...