Thursday, October 17, 2013

Two Cups of Kindness...


Dear Sweet Friends... 

It has been over three weeks
since I've had a moment to sit down
and share with you all...

This is so hard for me to write...
I suppose I have been avoiding this
because in writing it down 
it makes it more "real" to me...


My brother, Gary, is not doing well...
Short of a miracle...
Which we continue to pray for...
Knowing that our Lord is more than capable...
If it is His will...
Gary will not be with us much longer.

The doctors are no longer treating his cancer...
They are trying desperately to manage his pain.
As I type this, he is undergoing surgery
to relieve pressure on his spine.

We have been traveling back and forth to Boston...
Taking my 90 year old parents down...
Staying with my sister-in-law...
So many parts of our lives have been
put on "hold" for now... 

We so appreciate your prayers
and sweet notes...
The Lord sends comfort and peace
in so many different ways...

This week I received two packages in the mail
as part of the cup exchange that my dear friend,
Stephanie, was hosting...
Which was another item on my list
that had been placed on the "back burner"...

In the first package was this lovely little teacup
 and some delicious tea... 
from my new friend, Sandra...


So sweet and fragile and delicate...
The Lord was reminding me that 
our lives are like this...
And that we need to treasure every moment
and hold one another close.
Thank you so much, Sandra...

The second package was filled
with a mug and various items
all coordinated in autumn colors...
From my new friend, Sherri...

This handsome mug is 
strong and rugged...
like my brother...

And it did not surprise me that 
the colors were Gary's favorites...
He so loves the autumn 
and has missed being able to see
 the foliage this year...
Thank you, too, dear Sherri.

Lord willing,
I am going to fill this cup
with some of Gary's favorite hot cocoa
 and freshly whipped cream...
to let him know that friends all over
the country are holding him up in prayer...


"Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
    you make my lot secure..."
Psalm 16:5

***Update as of Friday, October 18th***

Dearest Friends,

You just cannot imagine how much your prayers
for Gary and our family mean to me... 
Thank you so so much...

Gary was operated on yesterday
in an attempt to relieve some of his pain...
As of this morning, 
it looks as though the operation was a success
as his pain has subsided somewhat...
We are giving God all the glory for this miracle...

With love and deepest gratitude,
Laura 

22 comments:

  1. Oh My Dear Friend...my prayers are with you and yours. May Our Lord continue to give you the strength to go through this. It is hard Laura, but He is there midst the pain and the tears.

    How precious that you are able to share your pain as well as your joys....this is the reason Our Lord wants us to be together...one family - His Family!

    In His Love,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    My heart is breaking to hear this news.. I am going to have special prayers for Gary, his family , and you. May God touch his body, ease the pain, and help you all.
    Hugs my friend. please remember to take care of your self too.. And hugs to your sweet parents. May God bless and help them. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Laura, I am holding your brother Gary up in prayer. Thank you for taking the time and emotional energy to let us know what is going on so we will be able to be there for you in spirit and prayer.

    Please do keep us updated as you are able.

    Much love a big, big hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I am praying for a miracle for Gary. I know he is so special to you. Praying also that God will be with you and your family at this difficult time.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Maria, Teri, Judy, Sherri, and Kathy...

    Your comments and prayers warm my heart...and feel like a soothing comforting hug...which is exactly what they are. Our Lord is so amazing...to give us friends across the miles...thinking of us...praying for us...when they, too, have their own burdens to bear. You are all so dear to me...I cherish your friendship...what a blessing from above...truly a gift from God.

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,
    My thoughts and heartfelt prayers are with your brother and your whole family! I am so sorry to hear about this... I pray that God creates a miracle for him and comforts your family.

    God Bless you. Hugs to you!
    ~Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Jazzmin...
      Thank you so much for thinking of us at this time. Your kind words and prayers are so thoughtful...they warm my heart.

      Delete
  7. Oh my dear Laura, tears are flowing from my eyes as I type this. Your ability to share your joys during this time of difficulty is truly amazing to me! You, my friend, are a rare and beautiful gem that is shining forth for our Lord Jesus Christ. You, your brother, and your family have been and will continue to be in my prayers. It is a praise to know that the surgery to relieve some of the pain was a success - thanks be to God. Please friend, if there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask :)

    And your tea cup and mug are absolutely wonderful! I love how the mug reminds you of your brother - what a special blessing :)

    Much love to you and BIG hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Stephanie, I am so glad the Lord saw fit to bring you into my life at this time...you are such a light and a joy. Thank you, sweet friend.

      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  8. Hi what a lovely exchange! I love both the tea cup and the mug.
    Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by for a visit, Julie. Yes indeed, I just love my two new "gifts!"

      Delete
  9. How sweetly these gifts ministered to your spirit in this challenging time. I will be praying for your brother, his wife and family, your parents, and you. Very glad that the surgery has helped relieve pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit, Vee, and for your prayers. We, too, are thanking God for the success of the surgery and the relief from pain.

      Delete
  10. Laura, It seems that this cup and this mug were meant to come to you to give you strength and comfort. I will pray for your brother and your family that you may be eased in your pain through your happy memories and with hope for better days ahead. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda...thank you for your prayers...what an amazing blessing to us to hear that folks all over the country are praying right now.

      Delete
  11. Dear Laura, I'm visiting the exchange blogs tonight and I am just so impressed that you were able to share so much with your blogger friends. I will put your brother and you on my prayer list. Stephanie's comment to you made me cry too...she is so very sweet. Have a cup of tea and breathe a bit when you can.
    Hugs...Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda...thank you so much for stopping by for a visit...and for adding us to your prayer list. Yes, Stephanie is such a dear friend...I feel so blessed to know her.

      Delete
  12. Laura, I am so sorry to hear about your brother's cancer. It is a beast of a disease that God is able to carry you and your family through. I see that you know that. Praise the Lord! I will pray for you all.

    Your gifts are lovely and certainly, from your description, show that the Lord is with us in everything, even a simple tea cup or mug. I pray that you have a blessed Sabbath rest ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to have you stop by for a visit, Anne. We are taking comfort in our Lord at this time...knowing that He is "the Great Physician."

      Delete
  13. I've just read a little further in your blog. I pray God will ease the pain that each of you are feeling, that He will cocoon you in His love, mercy, hope, healing, and provision. I shall pray for you all just as soon as I finish writing.

    God's richest blessings be upon you,
    Mrs. Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laura,
      Thank you so much for your prayers...it is such a comfort to all of us.

      Delete
  14. Stopping by from the tea cup and mug exchange. Laura, you and your family are in my prayers! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...