Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dressed To A Tee!

Or, perhaps,
more appropriately titled...

Two Tees To A Dress!


One of my dearest friends
has a  darling young daughter...

She has found it difficult
to purchase modest dresses
for Carleigh at an affordable price.

So...
In the past, 
I have made dresses for her,
and I am always on the lookout
when I'm in the thrift store!

Recently, I found this cute
little t-shirt with hearts all
over it...50 cents!!!
Just Carleigh's style!


I knew that I had an adult grey t-shirt
in my "rug" bag...
(I buy bags of various colored t-shirts
at the thrift store to use in my rag rugs...
only $2 for about 10-15 shirts!)

So I decided to put the two together
to fashion a dress for Miss Carleigh...
This is soooooo easy, ladies!
 

First, cut the top off of
the tee that will be the skirt...

 

Then, cut the bottom off of
the tee that will be the top!


Run a gathering stitch in the "skirt"...


Pin the top to the bottom
right sides together...


Then sew!


Topstitch the top
to hold the seams down...
I like using my twin needle
for this!

Really, that's all there is to it!
Easy peasy!
Unless you want to
"jazz" it up a bit!


I added some old lace
to the bottom to give
it a "petticoat" effect...

Then I stenciled some hearts
to the skirt using freezer paper...


I "couched" around the hearts
(check out Alabama Chanin...)
using the leftover jersey that
I pulled into thin "ropes"...


And of course,
a dress is not complete
without a satin ribbon that
ties with a long bow in the back
embellished with three fabric yoyos!


" In like manner also, 
that the women adorn themselves
 in modest apparel,
with propriety and moderation...
 I Timothy 2:9







10 comments:

  1. Hi sweet Laura! First of all, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments on my blog - they are a blessing! And secondly, this dress is absolutely darling! You did such a beautiful job and I love all the cute feminine touches :) It is so hard finding modest dresses so I am sure this is a huge blessing for your friend's daughter.

    Thank you for sharing and have a lovely evening. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Stephanie,
      It is so nice to have you visit again...and leave such a sweet comment! It is such an encouragement for me to hear from others...makes my little world seem a whole lot bigger! Hope that you and your family have a wonderful day today!

      Hugs back!
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Thank you, dear Teri, for your sweet comment. I do love making dresses for Carleigh...with a house full of men...I don't often get the opportunity to make 'girlie" things! It is always so much fun to sew for someone who truly appreciates what you create!

    Have a blessed day, my friend!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura~
    Well, isn't that just the neatest thing?! How clever of you. What sweet little touches you gave it. I'm sure Carleigh will really appreciate it! I enjoyed the video.
    Hope you've had a good week! It's been a busy one here getting back into the swing of things at school.
    Hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet compliment, dear Melanie!
      I am sure that you and Miss Katie must be very busy with the beginning of school...hope your enrollment is up and that things are going smoothly! We will be praying for a wonderful year for you and your family!

      Have a great day, sweet friend!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura!
    First of all, that dress is so cute! It turned out so lovely, and will be so pretty and modest for your friend's daughter to wear. In blogging, I have found a few ladies who sew and share things they sew and I always enjoy reading about what they have made- your post was no exception. I am inspired by your sewing.

    I also wanted to thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a kind and thoughtful comment. I wanted to reply to you on your blog because I didn't know if you would see it otherwise. I am glad you came across my blog through The Enchanting Rose- Stephanie is such a sweet and wonderful person and her blog is a gem. In reply, I just wanted to say I was blessed by your words. And I delighted in reading the things you shared... it must have been so neat visiting all those places, so rich in history! Making memories by exploring places like that is so wonderful. And aside from historical places, I'm sure you've gotten a chance to see much natural beauty as well living up in Maine. I hear it is truly heavenly there.

    Thank you again for your comment. I am so happy to find your blog- it is so welcoming from what I can see in just one post- and I look forward to reading more as I follow you.

    Have a blessed day!!
    ~Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Jazzmin, thank you so much for stopping by for a visit...and for your lovely comment! I did so enjoy stopping by your blog for a visit...it is always so interesting to see how the Lord is working in the lives of others in far away places! I, too, enjoy Stephanie's blog...she is such a darling.

      Hope that you have a wonderful day!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Hi Laura :) I am not able to reply to you through email, but I wanted to tell you how much your comments mean to me. Thank you for always taking the time to write encouraging and uplifting words on my blog - you have truly blessed my heart! When I see your name I always get excited to read what you have to say.

    May you be richly blessed, sweet friend! Enjoy your Monday.

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Stephanie...what a sweet comment...and just what my soul needed to hear this morning! I was feeling a bit "down"...nothing much, really...and your kind words just brought a smile to my heart! Thank you, dear friend!

      With love,
      Laura

      Delete
  6. What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing! :) I am always looking for modest inspiration for my daughter too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...