An incredible 48 hours...
The biggest storm my sons
had ever seen in their lives...
Amazingly, we did not lose power...
But my parents did lose water
because of frozen pipes...
We had to hike down to their home
through huge drifts to help out
because our road was not plowed...
Later, we discovered
that our neighbor who usually
plows our road had
gotten his truck stuck in
an eight foot drift overnight
while trying to keep ahead of the storm...
My husband discovered that
the high winds had broken a window
in my parent's basement...
Thus allowing cold air and snow
to come in and freeze the pipes...
After thawing out the lines...
He then discovered that one of the
pipes had cracked...
Late in the afternoon,
He had them up and running again...
He's becoming quite the "plumber!"
It wasn't until late Sunday afternoon
that they were able to get a state
truck in here to take care of some
of the enormous drifts...
As I said earlier...
An amazing weekend...
We are so thankful
for this week's sun and
temperatures in the 40s!
"Truly the light is sweet,
And it is pleasant for the eyes
to behold the sun..."
Ecclesiastes 11:7
The biggest storm my sons
had ever seen in their lives...
![]() |
| Early in the storm...one of our cars was buried! |
Amazingly, we did not lose power...
But my parents did lose water
because of frozen pipes...
![]() |
| Sometimes it was just easier to walk through the woods! |
We had to hike down to their home
through huge drifts to help out
because our road was not plowed...
![]() |
| My husband kept checking to see if I was still there! |
Later, we discovered
that our neighbor who usually
plows our road had
gotten his truck stuck in
an eight foot drift overnight
while trying to keep ahead of the storm...
![]() |
| We had to dig our way into the house... |
My husband discovered that
the high winds had broken a window
in my parent's basement...
Thus allowing cold air and snow
to come in and freeze the pipes...
![]() |
| Fixing the broken window... |
After thawing out the lines...
He then discovered that one of the
pipes had cracked...
![]() |
| Covering with a tarp to keep out the draft... |
Late in the afternoon,
He had them up and running again...
He's becoming quite the "plumber!"
![]() |
| Digging out the door to the generator... |
It wasn't until late Sunday afternoon
that they were able to get a state
truck in here to take care of some
of the enormous drifts...
![]() |
| A little space for the "ladies!" |
As I said earlier...
An amazing weekend...
We are so thankful
for this week's sun and
temperatures in the 40s!
![]() |
| It's so good to see the sun! |
"Truly the light is sweet,
And it is pleasant for the eyes
to behold the sun..."
Ecclesiastes 11:7
![]() |
| The "triangle" on the right is the tip of a 12 foot pine tree! |












Laura,
ReplyDeleteI have been praying for you..and wondering how you were making it.Honestly, from looking at the weather channel.. I figured you didn't have any power.. so proud you didn't loose that. and so happy you were able to get to your parents house to help them..[It looks really cold and the snow looks deep.....I have never seen snow like that,ha.]
take care my friend. Sending a warm hug..
Thanks, Judy...it was pretty incredible. The most amazing thing is that only 4 days later...you would be amazed at how much of the snow has already melted! We still have a ton though...but the roads are all cleared and the sun is shining! The hardest thing was having the snowblower die right in the middle of the first round Friday...so we had to shovel all the snow Saturday and Sunday! I have muscles now where I never knew I could! LOL!
DeleteHope all is well in your neck of the woods!
Love,
Laura
Wow! That was alot of snow!! In 1978 we had alot of snow and we were snowed in for 3 days! We didn't have as much as this though. Glad you are all well and the sun is shining and the snow is melting. God is good.
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Kathy in Illinois
I remember that storm, Kathy. I was barely a teenager...and I worked for the local supermarket part-time. My dad had to give me a ride to work on the snowmobile because the roads were still closed and they needed to open the store for emergency supplies! We were without power then for almost a week...probably the biggest storm I've ever seen.
DeleteToday is beautiful and sunny...great day for hanging out laundry!
Happy Valentines Day!
Love,
Laura
Dear Laura~
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness!!! What a snowstorm! I was praying for you all to be safe...how nice that you didn't lose power! Amazing!
I'm glad you were able to get to your parents' house to help them out. I'm sure they feel more secure having you all around.
So sorry your snowblower died in the middle of it. No doubt you must have had some sore muscles after all that shoveling. We've never had a snowblower, but we don't usually get nearly the snow down here that you all do.
Mom said she can remember hanging out clothes in the winter, and they'd freeze on the line. They were so stiff when she'd bring them in that they'd stand up by themselves. :-)
Hope you're having a good week and enjoying the sunshine!♥
You made me chuckle, Melanie...sometimes my laundry does come in a bit stiff! I always throw it in the dryer for about 5 minutes...in the winter to soften it... and in the summer to make sure that there are no bugs on it!
DeleteWe were totally amazed that we didn't lose power this storm. I think it was perhaps because the snow was so light...it didn't weigh the trees down. Also, they asked that people stay off the roads except for emergency vehicles...so there were less chances of folks sliding into telephone poles and knocking down lines.
Hope you are all enjoying a very sweet Valentines Day!
Love,
Laura
Oh my!! That's a lot of snow!! On one hand I always thought it would be so fun to be "snowed in" but boy that's a lot of work too. How nice your are able to walk down and help your parents.
ReplyDeleteThat was funny you were documenting your walk and your husband was waiting to make sure you were still there :-) Cute!
~Cinnamon
Thanks so much for stopping by again, Cinnamon! It was kind of funny at some points during our trek down to my parents...in one drift I sunk down so deep I didn't think I was going to be able to get out! My husband said he was thankful that my coat was bright pink...it made it easier to find me in all that snow!
ReplyDeleteHope you and your sweet family had a lovely Valentines Day!
Sweet blessings,
Laura