This time of year
we find Christmas trees everywhere...
Bet you'd never guess that I
live in a little coastal community...
This tree is constructed
from wire lobster traps...
The decorations are lobster buoys...
And the top...well...
it's a red lobster holding a star!
This tree is constructed
from driftwood...
washed ashore after a storm...
The decorations are also lobster buoys...
And the top is a styrofoam boat mooring.
Today I worked
on some very simple trees
to use as tags for gifts...
or they could be strung
together as garland...
They are oh so easy to make...
First, cut a pattern
from cardboard...
![]() | |
| 4 inches across bottom, 5 inches tall |
triangle shapes from
assorted scraps...
and one square
from brown felt...
![]() |
| Great way to use up scraps! |
Make a sandwich of
triangle, felt, triangle
with right sides together...
Then, sew across the bottom...
I do a whole bunch at once!
Clip the threads
and then open up
and iron
wrong sides together...
Starting at the bottom...
Sewing up one side,
pivot, then down the other
leaving about an inch open...
![]() |
| I used white thread to see more easily... |
Stuff with fiberfill...
Then sew up the opening...
It's much easier if
you do them all together!
Next,
cut both sides with
pinking shears...
Too easy!
I also thread a big needle
with silver string
to make a hanger at the top...
I've found it helps
to "paint" the sides
and the hanger end
with mod podge
which dries clear...
Ever feel as if you are "up a tree"?
Next,
cut both sides with
pinking shears...
Too easy!
I also thread a big needle
with silver string
to make a hanger at the top...
I've found it helps
to "paint" the sides
and the hanger end
with mod podge
which dries clear...
Ever feel as if you are "up a tree"?
"Up a tree" is an idiom that
refers to being...
refers to being...
"in a difficult situation without
an easy way to escape..."
an easy way to escape..."
How often we find ourselves
in situations such as these...
misunderstandings or hurt feelings...
financial woes...
a loved one sick or in pain...
financial woes...
a loved one sick or in pain...
Sometimes it appears
that all is hopeless...
When I feel like this...
As I have this week...
I remember that our Lord
never promised that life
on this earth would be easy...
" Beloved, do not be surprised at the
fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you,
as though something strange
were happening to you.
But rejoice insofar as you share
Christ's sufferings
, that you may also rejoice
and be glad when his glory is revealed. .."
I Peter 4:12-13
But He did promise
to always be with us...
Through every trial...
and every heartache...
"When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go
through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you..."
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you..."
Isaiah 43:2
For no one knows any better
For no one knows any better
than our Lord
what it felt like...
To be "up a tree"...
"The God of our fathers raised up Jesus,
"The God of our fathers raised up Jesus,
whom ye slew and hanged on a tree..."
Acts 5:30















What fantastic trees.How amazing is the lobster tree, and I love the driftwood tree.
ReplyDeleteI love, love the little trees you made. If my grandaughters come over this weekend, I think this would be a fun project for them. I will take an make a garland for the entry into my living room..Such a cute idea.Thank you for sharing the photos.
sending prayers for Gary. and each of you. Hugs.
This would be a simple and fun craft to make with your little girls! You can even add beads for decorations or ribbon or rick rack or whatever!
DeleteThank you for your prayers, dear friend...
I'll keep you updated...
Love,
Laura
What a lovely and special Christmas tree that reflects the state of Maine! Some people are so creative! And that includes you, Laura!! Your fabric trees are darling. You have chosen wonderful verses to help you through this time of hopelessness. Praying for you.
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Kathy in Illinois
Dear Kathy,
DeleteThank you for your sweet comment! I just love all the cute craft ideas floating around in "blogland" this time of year! I'm going to work on some wreaths this afternoon...it is raining...and I thought that a couple for my parents might cheer them up a bit.
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Laura...you have such a special way with words as you share from your heart! There is always so much to ponder and to think upon! Laura you and your family continue to be in my thoughts and in my prayers! Blessings ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Teri...you are all such a blessing to me...holding my family up in your prayers. It just means more than words could ever express.
DeleteHave a blessed day, my friend,
Laura