A typical Thursday...
My "list" was a mile long...
~laundry to wash and hang on the line
~firewood to split and stack
~cookies to make for shut-in baskets
~grocery shopping
~a few wreaths to finish...
Instead...
I called my parents...
Told them to get their coats on...
We were going on a trip...
I spent 8 hours on the road
driving...
To see my brother...
A day of gifts...
We didn't phone ahead...
I like surprises!
And boy oh boy,
were Gary and Nancy surprised
to see us!
![]() |
| Me, Dad, Mom, Nancy (back) and Gary (in front) |
We spent the afternoon...
just talking
and laughing
and eating!
![]() |
| Dad, Sluggo, Mom, Nancy and Gary... |
We were there about an hour...
When my oldest brother
showed up...
![]() |
| Dad, Sluggo, and Gary! |
Boy, was he surprised
to see us as well!
Nancy had a pair
of Christmas socks
she had been saving for me
to make some
Christmas doll lovies!
As we said our good-byes...
Gary hugged me
and whispered...
"Thank you, this was the
best gift ever!"
![]() |
| A day with Gary...what a special gift! |
As we crossed the "big bridge"
back into Maine...
We noticed fireworks
off to our left...
Perhaps they were just for us...
A gift...
To help celebrate a special day...
When we got home...
I found that my husband
was full of surprises as well...
![]() |
| Something warm to wear when we walk! |
For on the island...
I found flowers
and a new pullover...
Two gifts just for me!
A day packed full of gifts...
On our ride home...
We listened to the
24/7 Christmas music
radio station...
How appropriate...
Randy Travis singing
"The Gift"...
"He was the Son
God sent to one and all,
put on this earth
to hang there on that cross,
born to die so we could live.
He had the birthday,
we got the gift..."









Oh, Laura, I can't think of a better gift you could have given your brother and the rest of your family! Just being together and loving each other is the best gift of all. The flowers and sweater were pretty nice too!!! This was such a nice post to read.
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Kathy in Illinois
Thank you, Kathy...it was such a special day...for all of us. I will treasure it always...
DeleteSounds like a very nice day. Ia m so glad you shared the photos. I have wanted to see you for a while now, always good to see our blogging buddys. Very sweet of your hubby,pretty flowers.
ReplyDeleteTrish...we had the best day! And to come home to flowers and more...well, as you can see, my sweetie is just the best! I am truly so blessed...
Deletelaura,
ReplyDeleteI am so happy that you left all your " to do list" at home.. And that you and your parents made this wonderful trip.. How fun. I felt tears in my eyes ,when I saw the photo of you all together. God is good and I am so happy that you all had such a good day.. And I know it could not have been a better gift in the world, than spending the day with each other.
And to return home , all tired with riding and emotions on high...............to a wonderful hubby who had you gifts. Now.. that is nice.
God does help us through each thing we do.. And that makes me very happy!!
Hugs and prayers my friend.
ps.. You look very young [not old enough to have those grown boys.ha
Oh, Judy...it was just the best day...one I wouldn't trade for anything! Gary was so happy to see us...and it was so good for mom and dad to spend some time with him. We plan to do it again very soon. It makes for a long day...but so worth it!
DeleteYes, my husband is so very wonderful! I am so blessed with the family (and friends!)that God has given to me.
Hope you both have a very blessed weekend, dear friend!
(By the way...thank you for the sweet compliment! You are very good for my ego!)
Oh Laura...such a perfect day filled with so many special "gifts"... such precious blessings and memories! Such wonderful pictures of your family! You have such a loving heart and you are so pretty! Love shines from within! Hugs & Prayers ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Teri!
DeleteYes, it was just the "perfect" day...we had super driving weather...very cold but very sunny and no precipitation! There was hardly any traffic...which is a big plus for me...especially driving in to "the big city!" (I'm so used to these dirt country roads!) My brother was just so pleased...and he kept telling us that he was having very little pain that day. God is so good.
Thank you for your sweet compliment, my friend! I feel so blessed to have such special and loving friends across the miles...
Have a blessed day, dear one!
Laura
Dear Laura...
ReplyDeleteI am SO glad you got to see your brother!! I'm sure it was such a special time for all of you...memories to treasure always.♥
What a sweet hubby you have too. I know YOU know you are blessed!
Hugs to you, my sweet friend. I enjoyed all the pictures. You are beautiful, inside and out! :)
Thanks so much, Melanie, for your continued support and encouragement. I forgot to mention one of the best gifts of the day...Gary received word that his friends at work were contributing their sick days until his long term disability kicked in...about 6 months worth! Isn't that a miracle! God continues to watch over us...we are so blessed.
DeleteHave a wonderful day today, my friend...give Miss Katie a big hug for me. My thoughts were on you all Friday...especially.
With love,
Laura