Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sweet Hearts For My Sweethearts!

Today,
While cleaning out the fridge...
And making my grocery list...
I noticed that we had some apples
in the crisper
That were "less than crisp!"

At first I thought...
Applesauce.

And then,
Apple pie.

But I finally decided 
on these!


Apple Heart Tarts!

First, I peeled and cut the apples
and cooked them as I would
for applesauce...


 Then, I made the pastry...

You mix 2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar


I use my little food processor...


Then add 2 sticks of butter
cut up into tiny pieces and mix...
Your dough should resemble cornmeal...


Add 1/4 cup ice water
It is really important that
the water is icy cold!
And mix until the dough gathers
on one side...


Separate into two portions,
wrap in plastic,
and refrigerate until firm...
About 30 minutes or so.


While this is happening...
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
and make your filling...

I used applesauce...
But you could use your favorite jam.
Mix 1/4 cup 
with 1 tbsp. cornstarch 
and 1 tbsp. water.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly,
Then set aside to cool.


Then roll out your dough to about 1/4 inch
to 1/2 inch thick...
I cut mine using my heart cutter.


Place on ungreased cookie sheet...
Put about a tablespoon of filling in center...
Place top on and crimp sides with fork.
Make a few slits in top to release steam...
  Paint with an egg wash
of 1 egg and 1 tbsp. water.
Then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top!

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes
Remove when golden brown.
Watch the filling...it gets mighty hot!

Of course, the little heart shaped tarts
are so cute and delicate
and just the right size for us ladies...


But since I live with four "men"
I had to make some 
"man" size ones
as well!

If you'd like,
You can put a little icing on top.
Just mix some confectionary sugar
with a little water...

Enjoy! 

"Owe no man any thing,
but to love one another..."
Romans 13:8


Don't forget my give-away!


Ends Saturday, February 11th!

16 comments:

  1. These look delicious. A great valentine gift for my sweetheart. He is usually an apple pie man...but I think this would be a great treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda!

    My guys love apple pie too! These are like little mini apple pies (or similar to poptarts)! I have to admit, they are not exactly the healthiest of treats...but, oh well, every now and then can't hurt too much!

    Take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely posts and pies nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening!

      So glad that you stopped by for a visit! We haven't been to Canada for a long time...probably 12 or 15 years ago. The last time we went was to Montreal...it was a lovely visit!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Laura I thx u for the wonderful comment on my blog and if you r in Maine, I would love to meet you. It isn't all that far away and I love your blog... I am working on trying to get a pattern published with hopes that I can sell to LQS. Fat Quarter Shop told me if I get it published they would sell it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Sally,

      Thanks so much for your sweet comment. We often visit MA because I have loads of family there (I'm one of 10 children) so perhaps sometime we could meet up when we are down there. That would be so fun!

      Oh, Sally, how exciting! What kind of pattern are you trying to publish? You do such a lovely job with your quilting...I enjoy looking through your blog!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. These apple tarts are making my mouth water. Shaped into hearts and iced gives them a dainty tea party appeal. But I understand how a larger size tart for your menfolk would be a sensible and most appreciated gesture.
    I see we have a common interested in Victorian samplers.
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karen,

      Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit and for your sweet comment! I do so enjoy your blog.

      Hope you and your family have a blessed day!
      Laura

      Delete
  6. Good morning, Laura!
    Those pictures are making me hungry! :) Your apple tarts look delicious! I'll have to copy this recipe. I'm sure your guys have been enjoying them. You take such good care of them.
    I hope you all have a great weekend.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie!

      Just got home and saw your message. These tarts are really good...sort of like homemade pop tarts! I've made them with cinnamon sugar filling and a variety of homemade jam fillings. Good for the mouth...but not good for the waistline, I'm afraid!

      Thanks for your sweet compliment...but, truth be told, they take very good care of me!

      Have a fabulous weekend!
      Laura

      Delete
  7. What a great treat for Valentines Day! I think we will make them for breakfast!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Keri!

      I'm sure your family will like them... and don't be afraid to experiment with fillings...the imaginations the limit!

      So nice to have you stop by for a visit...and Miss Maddie's blanket is so precious!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  8. What a great idea! They look yummy indeed!! Have a great Saturday! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Karen,

    I stopped by your blog yesterday...and watched that moving video...I couldn't even leave a comment yet. What an amazing display of the love of God. Oh, that we could be so moved...

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankyou for sharing Laura, Kenny loves apple pie [his favorite]. Sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Judy,

    We've been praying for Kenny as his day approaches...and for the doctors who will treat him. Hope you to have a restful weekend together...enjoy your sweetheart!

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...