Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Somethin' To Crow About!

Have you ever heard that old saying???

If you don't like the weather in Maine...
Just wait 5 minutes.

Well, these words rang true yesterday...

We went from snowy subzero temps...
To foggy 50 degrees...
What a strange winter!

Yesterday, my sons spent the day
Doing some clearing on a neighbor's land.
He's had a lot of blow-downs that
he has been concerned about...

So he hired them to remove those trees
as well as some others that might
fall toward his house.

What a blessing for us...
He told the boys to keep
whatever wood was good
to use for firewood...


The boys have already brought home
several cords of hardwood all seasoned.

 At lunchtime yesterday
They stopped in for a quick sandwich
before returning to work...


I had to laugh...
As always, our rooster came
right up to Josh...
Just waiting to be picked up!

Now, ladies,
I need to explain to you
about this rooster.

I truly believe that the Lord
gave us this rooster
as a special blessing and reminder
just for me.


As a blessing...

Because the last rooster we had
used to chase me around the yard
Whenever I was out in the garden...
I think he had a thing for my pink clogs!


And, as a reminder...

Because, you see, sweet ladies,
 our rooster has some
very unique behaviors.

No one ever taught him
that roosters are only supposed
to crow at daybreak...

So, he crows,
At anytime of the day...
For no apparent reason whatsoever...
Other than the fact
that he loves attention...


 Now, let's face it ladies,
How many roosters do you know
that love to be picked up and cuddled?

He is actual quite put out
that we haven't given him a bedroom
inside the house!

So, he is my reminder...
Whenever I hear him crow...


That the Lord is instructing me
to be careful with my tongue.. 

"Whoso keepeth his mouth
and his tongue keepeth
his soul from troubles..." 
 Proverbs 21:23

To not go about "crowing"
all day long...

Just to get attention or feel important.
.
"Even a fool,
when he holdeth his peace, 
is counted wise: 
and he that shutteth his lips
is esteemed a man of understanding..." 
Proverbs 17:28

I just love the way our Lord
instructs me each and every day!
"Set a watch, O LORD,
before my mouth; 
keep the door of my lips..."
Psalm 141:3

Sometime soon,
I'll share with you
Why the Lord gave us...


Larry, the Cat!

"Let no corrupt communication
proceed out of your mouth,
but that which is good to the use of edifying,
that it may minister grace unto the hearers..."
Ephesians 4:29

Just a reminder, sweet ladies!
Don't miss the lovely give-away at
Sweet Home Stitchery...
ends January 31st!

14 comments:

  1. Laura, thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving your encouragement for me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and I want you to know I just received the first good news which is that Dr. Yasargil has asked to see my MRI films. It's a long road ahead, and he just opened the first gate for me. Thank you for your help in this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise His Name, Danielle! I am so very happy for you. We will continue to hold you, your family, and Dr. Yasargil up in our prayers. Our Lord continues to do amazing things! We are so blessed!

    Take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura,
    What a cute post.
    How nice that you were able to get all that wood! What a blessing! I sure do miss having a wood stove. The heat pump just doesn't compare!
    The neighbors behind my parents must have your rooster's brother. It crows anytime of the day too. How funny that yours likes to be picked up and cuddled...too cute!
    So, what happened to the rooster you used to have? Did he chase you around the yard one too many times?
    I'm looking forward to hearing the story about Larry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun story about your rooster! :) We are hoping to get chickens soon so it's fun to hear about them! It makes me wish we already had them! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lord wanted you to have a good natured rooster so you can go outside. This rooster sounds like he has a few more female hormones then most rooster....he has a loving nature. Can't wait to hear Larry's story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have the firewood, a blessing indeed. I love your rooster, that is funny! I have never heard of such a friendly rooster!!
    Stay safe! Nasty weather is on its way. I'm looking forward to the day "in" that it will cause!
    In Christ
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Melanie!

    Oh, the rooster we used to have, well...now I can laugh about him...but when we was around...let's just say, "I was terrified!!!" He was a bard rock...and very large! At first, he seem quite harmless...but as he grew...he became very aggressive. He would chase me all over the yard...he definitely hated the color pink...we tried everything to get him to stop, but finally, I hate to admit, he became dinner one evening. It happened right after he wouldn't let some friends of ours even get out of their car! I must admit, I enjoyed him so much more on our table than I did in our yard!

    Larry, of course, is another story. We just love him...I'll share his adventure sometime soon.

    Hope you are all having a wonderful day...the sun is shining here on the coast, but the temps have dropped again...only about 30 degrees this morning.

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nabila,

    I'm so glad that you stopped by! We do love our chickens...and I know your little ones will love them as well! Just make sure that, if you get a rooster, you only get one. They can be known to fight quite terribly!

    Hope all is well with you and your little sweeties!
    Take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Trish,

    I've got to admit, I don't miss our old rooster one bit! The one we have now is quite charming...and takes good care of his "ladies" .... although he is really just a pussycat!

    Have a wonderful day, my friend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Karen,

    Oh, no! Please don't tell me that bad weather is on the way! Although, I too, could use an "indoor" day...I have so many projects going right now! And I certainly shouldn't complain...what a mild winter we've had so far!

    Hope you have a lovely day!
    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a nice rooster to have around...and you are so good at picking up analogies! Thanks for the good words!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Keri!

    Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet compliment. I just love how the Lord teaches us through the little things in our everyday lives...and I am trying to be better at noticing!

    Have a wonderful day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura,
    I love your rooster and the fact ,that you see Gods teaching in each thing.I so believe that God uses things in our every day life,if ONLY we will listen with our heart.. thankyou for sharing.
    I so agree, our winter has been so strange this year.Here in Ms, we normally have 3-4 snows a year, and last winter we had 6-7 snows..This year one snow,that was gone about as soon as it came.. And our temps are in the teens one day and high 5o's the next.........So strange..It is rainy and gray today.. Who knows about tomorrow?lol
    Have a good day and sending prayers for your parents and each of you..
    ps ..so proud of your wonderful sons..Such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Judy!

    Sounds as though you are having as strange a winter as we are! We are expecting some sort of storm tonight...but they are unsure as to whether it will be snow, ice, or rain...or a combo of all three! I just know that driving will be yucky tomorrow morning...and my sweetie leaves for work at 5 AM...so I really don't like mornings like this. The Lord is always Good, though, and He is watching over us...so I try not to worry too much.

    Hope all is going well where you are...what are you working on now? I'm sewing some pillowcase dresses for a blogger charity...I just love the ones you made for your granddaughters!

    Take care, sweet friend,
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...