Well, the snow is back once again...
![]() |
| Anybody recognize these tracks??? |
I'm ever so thankful that my sons
took a walk the other day
when we were "snowless"
and collected this tote full
of pine cones.
Some of you may remember this post
where I shared how to make my
favorite "firestarters..."
using shavings, wax, and egg cartons...
Well, ladies,
Today is a perfect "inside" day...
A day to get many little projects completed...
So, today I am making my second
favorite "firestarters"
out of pinecones and melted wax...
They are oh so simple to make...
I just melt used candles
in this old crockpot...
Then dip one end of the pinecone
into the hot wax...
And let it "cool" on
some waxed paper...
If your candles were scented...
The fragrance they give off
is oh so sweet!
That's it!
They make wonderfully
inexpensive "firestarters"
Lately, I've noticed...
That there are several verses
in the scriptures...
Where a reference is made to
"pining away..."
Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary
defines "pining" as
"Languishing; wasting away..."
In the scriptures,
the writer was often referring
to his life being
wasted on account of his sin...
And so today,
As I spend this "inside" day
accomplishing many little projects
that need doing...
It is my prayer that I will not
spend my life "pining away..."
But, instead,
focus completely
on the One
who gave me Life...
Be gracious to me, O LORD,
for I am pining away;
Heal me, O LORD,
for my bones are dismayed.
Psalm 6:2








The snow is so pretty and sounds like a perfect day ...to get the little projects done.. I love those cozy inside the house days..Enjoy..
ReplyDeleteSending prayers for each of you.
Hello Judy!
ReplyDeleteWe are sitting here...listening to the rain on the roof...it has been raining since about noontime...so all the new snow is gone. We have had rain, ice, sleet, and snow...all in one day! I was able to get quite a lot done...right now I'm sitting here sewing on my dollhouse dolls. My husband just got up to make us some popcorn and throw another log in the woodstove...life is good!
Sweet blessings, my friend,
Laura
Love your pinecone idea...
ReplyDeleteSuch a neat way to help start the fires..
Blessings to you...
Good Morning Faye!
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you stopped by! Yes, pinecones are definitely in abundance around here this year...so we are making lots of use of them! I've been storing some for wreaths for next year...some years just tend to be better than others.
Have a blessed weekend!
Laura
Once upon a time I could have told you what thoses tracks were...that would have many a year ago as I don't get out in the snow anymore...you'll have to tell me what they are.
ReplyDeleteDear Trish,
ReplyDeleteYou might not recognize these tracks...they are chicken tracks! We have about 20 or so hens...that live in a warm little hen house with our rooster. But we have one hen who refuses to go into the henhouse at night...and sleeps in a pine tree! The other hens used to pick on her when she was just a chick. So...she is always out and about every day...even in the snow! She comes to the back door looking for bread crumbs each morning...we do spoil her a bit!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Laura
We have just built a fire pit in our backyard and the other day I was trying to get a fire started and it wasn't doing so well as it had been raining. And I got to thinking about your last firestarters and was telling hubby I needed to make some! :o) This might be a bit easier to make! :o) Thank you for this! :o) Enjoyed your post as always. :o)
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila,
ReplyDeleteA fire pit...how fun! Great spot for s'mores! We have one out back that my husband and sons built out of some rock from our yard...we use it all summer! We burn a lot of the "junk" wood from our land in it...and pine cones do make great firestarters in fire pits. If you let them dry out...you don't even need to dip them in wax!
Have a wonderful week, dear one,
Love,
Laura
Oh here I am melting in the heat, what I wouldn't give to be in the snow, what a clever idea, although we don' gt to light fires very often... times a year maybe, it is always a problem to start it.
ReplyDeleteHi Laura...sometimes it takes a snowy day to be able to be cosy inside tending to those little projects! I always enjoy all that you share! Thank you! Hugs ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteDear Karen,
ReplyDeleteMelting in the heat! Oh, my! Actually, it was quite warm here today...my husband and I took a walk around the shore this afternoon and I just had a thin jacket on...he only needed a sweatshirt. That is very unusual for January in Maine! Almost all of our snow is gone...do to the heavy rains on Friday. This week is supposed to be quite nice...makes me want to get started on gardening!
Have a wonderful week!
Laura
Hello Teri!
ReplyDeleteYes, I love those inside days too! I was able to get a few projects done that I had been "putting off". This week looks like an outside week...we need to take some wood to my parents' tomorrow...and maybe clean out the chicken coop...definitely one of my favorite chores! LOL!
Take care, my friend!
Laura
Good Morning Laura,
ReplyDeleteHow lovely to live where the rhythmn of the Seasons is such a blessing and so beautiful..
I enjoyed the pine cone idea.Our family loves to use our fireplace and aromatherpy just makes me happy. Silly isn't it. One of my favorite parts of my home the sweet fragrance it can have.
Have a Blessed Day in the Lord,
Virginia
Good Morning to you, too, Virginia! We got some more snow this morning, a surprise storm, and it was just so cozy to be sipping tea by the cookstove and watching the snow fall. Certain fragrances are so soothing, aren't they though! I always love it when we walk through the woods...the fragrance of the pines always makes me think of Christmas!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed day!
Laura
I love seeing you snow! It's 60 degrees here in Oklahoma. I'm longing to see a pretty snowfall.
ReplyDeleteLove the pine cone project & the verse you shared!
Smiles,
Carol
Laura, thankyou for stopping by my blog..You always make my day so much more happier..
ReplyDeleteReading your blog , and how you relate it to scripture, is so inspiring, thankou for the work and showing God through your work.Amazing.
sending prayers for your parents..
Hi, Laura,
ReplyDeleteHow nice that your sons got you so many nice pine cones! I'm sure your home must smell wonderful! If I ever again live in a house with a wood stove, I will have to remember these. :)
I definitely do not want to spend my time pining away. God put us here for a reason, and there's work for us to do!
Take care.♥
Hi Mrs. Wiley,
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great idea for using pine cones dipped in wax as a fire starter. Thank you for sharing! =)
I was just thinking about you all yesterday and was wondering how you are doing. Hope you all are well.
Lydia
Good morning Laura,
ReplyDeleteYou are soooo right ,My grandson would be thrilled to be visiting you ..He loves DIRT!!! lol. And being all fellows..would thrill him.
Hope your enjoying your snow and getting lots done..I am sewing today.. I have some things to sew for this lady ,that has 2 little girls.. [And get to embroidery them too.yea.]
Email me your email adress, I will tell you all about my embroidery machine.. I cant make out your email adress on your home page..[Yep..Guess Kenny is right...cant see little writing worth a flip.ha]
kennycoke@ripleycable.net
talk to you later, Judy
Good Morning Carol!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by again! I'm looking forward to those 60 degree temps again...we probably won't see them until May here in Maine! It snowed again yesterday...a soft swirly snow...but today is clear. All in all, this has been a very mild winter for us!
Have a wonderful day!
Laura
Dear Judy,
ReplyDeleteI stopped in our local quilt store yesterday...they don't sell embroidery machines (it is quite a small store) but I did talk with the lady for some time about different brands. She recommended a Brother. I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open for a good price on a used one. I will e-mail you...I'd love to hear about yours! I'm sure that you'll have some wonderful tips for me!
Just pack your grandson up and send him our way! I'm sure he'd have a great time with my "guys"...or better yet, why don't you hand deliver him yourself!
Take care, dear friend!
Laura
Dear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you are all beginning to feel better...you still need to take it easy, though, it is so easy to have a relapse.
I do so love having wood heat! The whole house just feels so much "warmer" when the stove is going. We are very blessed to be able to get our wood for free...either off of our land or from the work that Joshua does.
Hope you are having a blessed day!
Love,
Laura
Dear Miss Lydia,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by for a visit and for thinking about us. We are all doing well...staying warm despite the cold temps...we are very blessed to have a wood stove!
This year we have had an over abundance of pine cones...just perfect for firestarters and wreaths! This does not happen every year. Whenever we walk in the woods we usually take a bag with us and fill it...the longer they dry out, the better they burn.
Hope you and your family are all doing well...please say "hello" from all of us.
Sweet blessings,
Mrs. Laura
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteHope you and family are doing well.. Enjoyig the coming and going of the snow..ha
Just had to tell you, I am working on a skirt for me..and I am using my embroidery machine to embroider on the bottom.. Will tell you about it later, ..
Praying for your parents.. Take care and my prayer is you feel God's loving touch today ..like never before.
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteHow's your parents doing? Sending prayers for both of them..
I never did tell you what kind of embroidery machine I have.Sorry , this old mind is forgetful.ha I have a Singer futura.It hooks to my computer and I download designs from the computer. So the possiablities are endless. I get a lot of free designs , and I buy alot [too many ,I could never use them all,ha]..You store them on your computer and transmit to the machine.. It is so fun.. I love mine. I think Singer has quit making my model. But.. If you find one on ebay or craigs list, I think you would love it.It is not the real expensive kind either.
Talk later, Have a good weekend.
Dear Judy,
DeleteThanks for sharing...there are so many choices! It's good to hear that you have one that you like...that isn't too expensive. I'll have to keep my eyes open on craigslist or uncle henry's for one.
My parents are doing as well as can be expected. Tomorrow is my mom's birthday...she will be 89 years old. They had a chance to visit with one of my brothers this weekend...which was so nice for them (and my brother, as well!)
Thank you so much for your continued prayers!
With love,
Laura