Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Oh, Be Careful Little Mouths What You Say..."

When our sons were young
We taught them many songs...

One of their favorites
I'm sure many of you know...

"Oh, Be Careful Little Ears What You Hear..."

What fun we would have
Going through all the verses...

The point of this little ditty
Is to teach children that our Lord
Is always with us...

And,
If we truly love Him 
And want to serve and please Him,
Then we will take care of this "temple"
Which He has entrusted to us...
And use it only for good.

For the Lord is always watching
and listening...
As are those around us.

This point was driven home to me...
Once again this week...
When I received a small package in the mail...


A beautiful little hair clip.
And no, it was not a belated 
Christmas present.

You see, several week's earlier...
During a dinner conversation...
I happened to mention that I had 
Stumbled across pretty hair clips for sale
On a friend's blog.

Because I have long hair,
I usually wear it up
or pulled back away from my face...
And finding barrettes or clips 
that will hold it is sometimes a challenge.

A brief remark about how pretty they were...
That was all...

Later, I was to discover...
That my son, Joshua, 
Had decided to purchase one of these 
clips for me...

Simply because he knew that I wanted one...

Simply because he knew that I had been 
going through so much with my parents...

Simply because he loves me.

As the story unfolded...
I found out that Joshua
Had enlisted the help of a friend
In choosing a clip and ordering it...
Not an easy task...
For a young man with no sisters!

And, after all the hugs and the tears,

During my "quiet" time...

I thought about the times when, perhaps,
the Lord had "spoken" a few words
to me in passing...

Was I as quick to "hear" those words?

Was I as eager to "go the extra mile"...

Just to please Him?

Just because I love Him?

Perhaps there is much more to learn
From the little songs we teach our children...

“Let the little children come to Me,
and do not forbid them;
for of such is the kingdom of God. 
Assuredly, I say to you,
whoever does not receive the kingdom of God
as a little child will by no means enter it.” 
And He took them up in His arms,
laid His hands on them, and blessed them.
Mark 10: 14-16


14 comments:

  1. Hello Keri!

    So nice to hear from you! I haven't had much time lately to "blog visit"...so sorry that I haven't been by. Now that the real cold weather has set in...perhaps I'll stop by during "tea time!"

    Sweet blessings to you and your family!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Laura, what a sweet thing for Josh to do!! He must be very observant. I'm sure it was a nice surprise for you.
    Please tell him I said 'hi', and I miss reading his posts. :)
    It is so true how we need to do things to please the Lord just because we love Him. What a simple, yet profound thought.
    I certainly do remember singing that little song. :)
    Enjoy your clip. It is beautiful.♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Melanie,

    Thank you for your sweet comments. I will pass your "hello" on to Josh...he hasn't done much blogging lately...he's had a lot on his plate right now.

    The clip is so very pretty...dainty, yet rugged, at the same time. I need something that won't slip out when I'm out working in the yard. This seems to do the trick! I was so touched when I got it in the mail...all of my sons are so sweet(they learned it from their dad!). They are always doing special little things just for me.

    Hope you are having a wonderful day...it is mighty cold here! We've been so spoiled this winter so far. Guess we just might see a taste of winter yet!

    Blessings and hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know, Trish...I am truly blessed!

    Have a lovely evening!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,
    I must say, this post ,brought tears to my eyes..What a loving son. I am so proud of Joshua. What a wonderful and loving son ,he is.Please relay this to him.
    May God bless each of you ,through this difficult time in your lives.Know I am praying for each of you..
    How are your parents doing? God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Judy,

    You are such a special lady...thank you so much for all your prayers and concerns. I did share your comment with Joshua...and he was deeply touched. He has had so much happening in his life lately...with some very difficult decisions to make...and yet, he, my other two sons, and my husband, have stepped up to the plate to help in every way with my parents. I am truly blessed beyond measure. In some ways it seems as if our lives have been put "on hold" for a season...and yet we know that God is in control and knows what is best for all of us...even if others don't seem to understand.

    My parents had a good weekend. We were able to take care of some immediate issues for them...which helps to relieve their stress. One of my brothers is here staying with them for a few days. They are such special people to us...and we only want the very best for them. Today I am going over to clean the house...yesterday we brought wood down to them. It helps them if we have some special project that we take care of each day...and, of course, just spending time with them is so important.

    I hope that you have a wonderful day, my friend. I look forward to seeing your latest creations when I stop by your blog!

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet and loving gesture. And so true, that is how we should be with our Heavenly Father! :)
    Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura, sending prayers to you and your family.. Think of you often..I pray that you feel God's loving arms around you, as you have never felt before.. And feel His amazing love . YOur friend, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, my sweet friend. Just stopping by to say 'hi'. You're in my thoughts and prayers today.♥((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure it is a gift that you will treasure forever

    ReplyDelete
  11. :o) It's the simple things in life that give our cloudy days bursts of sunshine sometimes? :o) So proud of your son! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen, Laura. Thanks for sharing this little story. God uses my children so many time to teach me His spiritual lessons.

    I haven't visited your blog in a while, but I'm glad I stopped by today.

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Ladies,

    I am ever so sorry that it has taken me so long to reply to your sweet comments. You are all so wonderful...and I have been meaning to take a few moments to "touch base" with each of you. It seems like time just "flies by" lately...which is no excuse...only an observation. I am so thankful that you all are holding us up in your prayers...it means more than you could ever know.

    Karen...
    Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit. I know how busy you are with homeschooling and all. I hope that you all are "staying warm" during our little "freeze!" Boy, I was really getting used to this warm winter weather! Oh, well, February is almost here...can mud season be far behind?

    Dear Judy,
    You are such a dear friend...and I so appreciate your prayers. I look forward to stopping by to see what you've got on the "cutting table!" Right now I'm working on some little dollhouse dolls...I will share a picture when I get some finished!

    Dear Mel,
    It always brightens my day to see your comments...I don't tell you that often enough. I am praying that all is going well for you and Katie at school...and that you are enjoying mild weather this winter. I'm so sorry that I missed your "give-away"...those hearts are too cunning! I didn't see it until it was over! Oh, well, perhaps the next time...Take care, my friend.

    Dear Karen,
    What a nice surprise to find your comment! Hope all is well with you and yours...I'll be stopping by for a visit soon!

    Dear Nabila,
    Always so nice to hear from you, sweetie. Hope you all are well...I'm sure that those little cherubs of yours are growing by leaps and bounds! Give them hugs for me!

    Dear Christine,
    So nice to have you stop by for a visit...it has been awhile since we've chatted. I'll stop by soon to see what you've been up to!

    Take care, precious friends...
    With love and prayers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...