Sunday, December 4, 2011

New Life...

We are so blessed to welcome
the newest addition to our family...

My nephew's wife just gave birth
last week to a sweet little baby girl...
They named her Mollie.

 This fall,
They moved into their new home.
While my brother was helping them move...
He noticed something tossed in the trash...
An old wicker doll carriage.

When he asked about it,
My "niece" said that it used to be hers
(and her mother's before her)
when she was little,
but it was all broken now.

Well, my brother secretly
tucked it in his truck...
And brought it up to Maine.
In hopes that perhaps
we could repair it for Emma,
Mollie's "big" sister,
as a surprise.

My father replaced the wicker handle
and some of the broken pieces on the bed...
And then gave it to me
to make a new cover.

My brother had found a picture
on the internet 
of the original carriage
which was done in red gingham.

I used the picture to make
a hood, mattress, and skirt.

I used some vintage linen
to make a pillow, pillow case,
sheet, and matching doll quilt.

 One day,
While in a dusty old antique shop,
I found this sweet little baby doll
Hidden under some stuffed animals
on a shelf.

I just knew that she was
the perfect doll for
Emma's carriage.

So... I brought her home...
Gave her a bath...
And made her a new nightie
and bonnet out of some
pink flannel.


And, of course,
she needed some 
"itty-bitty" baby booties!


It was so much fun
To give this "broken" carriage...
a "new life"...

I "happened" to run across
this little poem...
Which sums up this project...
and our lives...
so perfectly...

Broken Lives...

As children bring their broken toys
in tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God,
Because He is my Friend.

But then instead of leaving Him
to do His work alone,
I hung around and tried to help
In ways that were my own.

At last I snatched them back 
and cried,
"How could you be so slow?"

"My child," He said,
"What could I do, 
You never did let go."
-anonymous-

How amazing...
When we are "broken"...
Our Lord offers us "New life"
If we will only let go
Of our old selves.
What an incredible gift.


Therefore if any man be in Christ,
he is a new creature:
old things are passed away;
 behold, all things are become new.
I Corinthians 5:7



19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on Mollie's arrival!
    The baby carriage is just beautiful!! It's just perfect, baby, fabric and all. I know Emma will treasure it. What a gift for your niece too to have it restored again and can now be passed on to her daughter. That's a special gift.:-) I think you and your brother received a blessing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love what you did to the buggy and the doll...and I love the poem. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all very beautiful!! What a sweet and thoughtful gift!!
    Blessings...
    Karen T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anne,

    Thank you so much for stopping by! We are so excited whenever a new little one is added into our family! It seems to be growing by leaps and bounds! Of course, that is to be expected when you are one of ten children!

    So glad that you liked the carriage...it was so much fun to work on. A little part of me wanted to keep it when I finished...

    Have a blessed day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Trish,

    So nice to have you stop by! I'm glad that you liked the buggy and doll...isn't it just the cutest thing! I wish they made toys more like that nowadays. I feel blessed that I have so many talented people in my family who can make homemade toys.

    Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Karen,

    Thanks for stopping by...can you believe this Maine weather? We are really getting spoiled. My grandmother used to say though that it is weather like this that will bring on lots of sickness. She would say that it needs to get really cold to freeze all the bad germs! I sure do miss her.

    Hope all is going well with you and yours. I'm sure that you are quite busy with homeschooling and all...isn't it so wonderful to be with our children each day!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,
    First, let me say.. congradulations on your new edition to the family.. A beautiful baby girl!! What a blessing from God.
    This posting brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful that this doll carriage got to have a new life, as each of us ,that accept Jesus Christ , as our Saviour, gets to have.
    I can only imagine the excitement of this little girl to recieve this carraige that was not only her mom's but her grandmas.. and Oh , what a beautiful job, you did with the covering, the quilt, the beautiful doll gown and booties.Everything was just perfect.
    Guess what? I am 58 yrs old and I REALLY want the doll and carraige myself.lol
    wonderful job, thankyou for sharing.
    God bless each of you. and Prayers for mom and new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Judy,

    Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! I do so wish you lived closer...I think we would have the most wonderful time together sewing and crafting! Couldn't you just see the two of us...pushing our baby doll carriages down the street! LOL!

    I thank the Lord each and every day for the "New Life" that He gave to me...what an amazing and undeserving gift.

    Praying that you and yours are having a very blessed day,
    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Laura~

    You and your brother did a beautiful job! So nice that the carriage could be salvaged and restored. You did such a wonderful job with the doll. The little booties are so sweet. I'm sure Emma will enjoy her surprise.

    Wonderful Scripture to go with your post. All things become new!

    Hope you're having a wonderful week, my friend. It is raining here today...no snow yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to the new parents! What a sweet carrige! I just love it. So nice to be able to give it a new life. :o) Enjoyed the poem as well! Might have to copy it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Melanie,

    Thank you so much for stopping by, my friend! I apologize for taking so long to respond...we've been helping my parents quite a bit lately. Please pray with us that their home will sell quickly, dear friend, as they are in need of making some changes immediately. But the Lord knows what is best, so we are trusting in Him.

    Hope all is well with you and yours...you must be getting ready to close school for Christmas vacation soon!

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Nabila Grace,

    I'm so sorry that it took so long for me to respond...I always love it when you stop by! Isn't that poem precious...I knew that you would like it. I could just see your little one pushing this doll carriage as well!

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Laura...such a precious post that you have shared here! It is so fitting for the Christmas Season! Very heartwarming! Sweetest weekend blessings to you! Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Teri,

    I had so much fun working on this project...I especially love gifts that are handed down from one generation to the next. I have quite a few items from my mom and my grandmother...and they are so special to me.

    Wishing you all joy and happiness this Christmastime,
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. You and your brother have done a fabulous job restoring the old baby carriage. The red gingham fabric is a great choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura, this is a precious story. The doll looks new and the buggy and linens just top it all off. I found some dolls which had been thrown away by our neighbors. I brought two home but sadly had to leave the others. Also, the bear I call Teddy (he's with my doll quilts in 2012) was with the dolls. He was totally brown with dirt but after several good washings he looks loved now. One of the little dolls I brought home has eyes that stay closed. When I saw her in the dirt, it gave me a weird feeling because she looked so real.

    Could you tell me where I can find your post about your Crissy doll? I love to find people with interests the same as mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte...you are definitely a girl after my own heart! Here is the link to that post...

      http://kjvjames117agg.blogspot.com/2010/04/restoring-hidden-treasures.html

      I can't wait to read more of your blog!
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  17. Such an adorable gift!! I love the pretty floral print of the nightgown, blanket and sheets. It brings back good memories of when I used to play with dolls as a little girl. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Miss Amy! I had such fun working on this project! I hope that someday I am blessed with a granddaughter that I can make dolls and doll dresses for!
      Hugs,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...