Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Seeing The Forest For The Trees...

Every year...around this time...
My parents attend a Christmas gathering
Of family and friends. 

It has always been a tradition
of my mother's
To make her famous peanut butter balls
and an ornament
for each of the families at the party.

I always help her with this task.
Last year,
I made "lobstahs"..

This year,
Mom wasn't feeling well enough
to make the peanut butter balls...

So...
I sewed up 25 little bags...
and made several batches...
for her to take to the party.

I usually make the ornament...
And this year I decided to do
a fun little one
that was very inexpensive to make!

My husband cut a birch limb
into 1/2 inch thick circles...
and drilled little holes for the ribbon.

 

After letting them dry
under the woodstove...
I stamped a little pine tree
on each wood circle.


 

Then, using a toothbrush,
I spattered white paint
for a snow effect.


 

I then added some 
three dimensional "snow"
to the bottom of each one!


 

You can buy this "snow" already made
in the craft department of most stores...
Or make your own by mixing
white glue and clear plastic crystals.


 

I added a red ribbon bow
and tie to each.


 

I boxed the 25 bags complete 
with 10 peanut butter balls each
for my parents to take to the gathering.

Unfortunately, they were unable to attend.
But my oldest brother was able to take
the "treats" down to Massachusetts.

While making these ornaments
I thought about the saying...
"You can't see the forest for the trees..."

This saying is usually used when
expressing that a person is focusing
too much on specific problems
and is missing the point.

Or, in other words,
Paying too close attention to detail
And not seeing the whole picture.

Remember the account of the 
miraculous feeding of the five thousand?

This was the only miracle
recorded in all 4 gospels.

What Jesus commanded his disciples to do
seemed impossible...
to feed such a large and hungry crowd
with such little provisions...

The disciples just couldn't see 
"the bigger picture..."

That this miraculous food
foreshadowed the true heavenly bread
which Jesus would offer his followers.

For He, alone,
is the true bread of heaven
that can satisfy the deepest hunger
we experience.


My dad made this bread box for me many years ago...
"And Jesus said unto them,
I am the bread of life:
he that cometh to me shall never hunger..."
 John 6:35

13 comments:

  1. My goodness, Laura, those ornaments are adorable! What a terrific idea! You did a fabulous job making them.

    I will be praying for God's will to be done in your parents' situation. I'm sure it must be a difficult time for all of you. I can imagine that type of change can never be easy.

    Your dad did a great job on your bread box. I'm sure it's very special to you...perfect verse to go with the picture. :-)

    Yes, we will be having a half day this Friday, then be off until January 3rd. I am looking forward to a break. The kids get so excited this time of year! I'm sure you remember what it was like! Imagine 25 children running around like they've had 3 cups of coffee! :D

    Hope you're having a wonderful week, my sweet friend. Hugs to you!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the ornaments! They're beautiful!! :) And I love how God can make so much out of our "little." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Melanie,

    Thanks so much for your sweet comment! These are so much fun to make...and are very very easy! They would make a great project for your children at school, or in Sunday School. You can use any stamp, or cut out a picture or card, or paint a little picture. I've done several different variations of these.

    Thank you also for your prayers. My dad is having a very difficult time with all of this, and so decisions that need to be made are somewhat hard to make. It seems to be consuming us right now...but we are trusting in Him to see us through.

    My dad made that bread box many years ago. He has made some wonderful gifts for me...items I will treasure always.

    You must be really looking forward to your break. A special time to enjoy with your family and friends. It is so hard to believe that December is here already. We are experiencing extremely mild weather for this month...so winter mindset hasn't really set in yet!

    Sweet blessings to you, my friend.
    Hope this last week of school goes smoothly for you.

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Karen,

    Thanks so much for stopping by! It is amazing what the Lord can do...and how hard it is for us to see the "bigger picture" sometimes.

    Hope all is well for you and your family. Can you believe this Maine weather? We are really getting spoiled!

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very blessed. I do enjoy reading your post. Blessing Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Trish,

    What a lovely comment! You are so sweet! I am truly blessed in so many ways, I know. The Lord is so Good.

    Sweet blessings to you, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura.. It is so nice to meet you.. Thank you for finding my blog and now I have found you.. I love your ornaments.. So simple but beautiful.. I was wondering how close to New Brunswick you are.. We go to Bangor every once in awhile and love it.. Then in the summer we reside beside the Bay of Fundy...
    So glad to see that you are also a sister in the Lord and know Him..
    God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Faye!

    Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit! I just love your blog! We really don't live too far apart...we are about 2 hours south of Bangor...right on the coast.

    The ornaments are truly simple to make...and we've done them in several variations. I really love finding new crafts to do...recently I discovered "hairpin lace" and have been having a wonderful time experimenting!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura,
    the ornaments are adorable. You are so creativie, and I love that you put the candy in the little bags and added the ornament..So cute.
    Please know,that I am praying for your parents and whatever problems that you and your family face. God is an awsome God and He is always with us.
    Friends in Christ, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Judy,

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment and for your prayers. My parents' health is rapidly declining...my father had a heart attack on Wednesday..in the midst of needing to sell their large home. Life has seemed quite "uncertain" and "surreal" as of late...yet we continue to trust in Him...for peace, comfort, and direction.

    Glad that you liked the ornaments! Don't you just love making things this time of year? There are so many wonderful projects...sometimes it is very difficult to choose!

    Have a blessed day, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Laura...such sweet simplicity! You have such wonderful ideas that turn out so cute! Thank you for sharing! Simple Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Teri,

    Thank you so much for your kind comment! These are so simple to make...and yet always turn out so nice. I love to be able to decorate with things from nature.

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how sweet! I just love them! :o) What a beautiful post. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...