Friday, November 25, 2011

Firestarter!

We woke to a frosty November morning
on the coast...

Temperatures in the low 30s
Ice on the windshields...
Definitely a "cook stove" morning!



We've been blessed this fall
with unseasonably warm temperatures...

Time for cutting and splitting wood...
 Which gave us time to prepare
for the upcoming winter months.

And more wood!
One preparation that I like to complete
in the fall is to make up a large
batch of "firestarters" to have
on hand for those chilly winter mornings...

So, I thought I'd share with you
one of my two favorite "recipes" 
for firestarters!

You will need...

paper egg cartons

We pick up used ones from our recycle station...
 old candles

I love the scented ones!
wood shavings or dryer lint

Dryer lint works just as well...
First, melt some old candles...
I have a crock pot that I picked up
at a lawn sale that I keep just for
such projects!


Next, fill your egg cartons
with wood shavings or lint...


Finally, pour melted wax
over the lint or shavings.


I usually cut two or three egg cartons
apart at a time
and put them in a bucket
next to the stove...

Firestarters make a great gift, as well...
For those people you know
who have a wood stove...

I made some for my parents
As a little "Thanksgiving" present...


I stitched together a little gift bag
from some of my scrap fabric
and made a cardboard leaf
as a little card.

Just one of these "firestarters"
and a small bit of kindling...
And before we know it,
The whole house is toasty warm.

As I was reading in James,
It occurred to me that our tongues
are like these little "firestarters"...

One little word
can cause quite a "spark"...

Let us always be careful
to "kindle" kindness...


"Even so the tongue is a little member,
and boasteth great things.
Behold, how great a matter 
a little fire kindleth!"
James 3:5

12 comments:

  1. We are really wanting a wood stove. :o) Once we have our own house that's something that we are looking for! :o) Thank you for sharing how to do this! It will help when we do have a stove but also I could give this as a gift like you mentioned! :o) Thank you for this post! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for wood stoves. I don't know anyone that has one now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful stove! Thank you for the tutorial on the firestarters ~ great idea for a gift.
    Weekend blessings ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic idea Laura.. You amaze me , the way ,you always find the Lord in each thing you do.. SO wonderful. He is always there ,if we will just listen and look.Thankyou for sharing..
    I am so happy your back, I missed your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nabila Grace,

    I just absolutely love my cookstove...it is such a blessing to us. We were noticing today that we hadn't used the electric stove in over a week...since the cookstove is supplying heat for the house...might as well us it for food as well!

    So nice to hear again...I pray that all is well with your family,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Trish,

    It seems funny to hear you say that you don't know anyone who has a woodstove...seems like I don't know anyone who doesn't! They are sort of a necessity around these parts!

    Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving...thanks for dropping by!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anne,

    Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet compliment on my cook stove. It is such a blessing to us...we got it from the sweetest elderly lady who just couldn't use it in her new house. I do almost all of my cooking on it now...which is such a blessing.

    Hope all is well with you and your family!

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Judy,

    You are just too sweet! I am glad to be back as well...and so enjoy when all my friends stop by for a visit!

    I'm working on a bunch of little candy gift bags for my mom right now...boy, that serger I found has been such a blessing!

    Hope your Thanksgiving was just wonderful!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea Laura. After you drip the wax in..does it all stay put?

    Wish we had a fireplace to put it in. :o) But..we do have very big bonfires..so I won't complain. :o)

    Thanks for visiting recently.

    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Donna,

    The wax does stay in...and it really helps the firestarter to burn for quite a while...which really gets the wood going! I do this with large pine cones as well...which also make great firestarters!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. found your blog from sew many ways... i make the same style of fire starter for friends but i wrap them in old paper and leave a tail of paper for the wick. they burn for over 6 minutes. This way they don't spill the wood shaving that i use. I live in the tropics of australia with very little need for a lovely stove. take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! Most of the time the wood shavings don't spill out because of the wax...but occasionally the do! Thanks for the tip!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...