Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Attachments...

My trusty friend...

Working on a vintage linen baby quilt...

A precious gift from my sweetheart 
more than a quarter of a century ago...

Still going strong... 

We were just newlyweds
when my husband lovingly purchased
this gift for me...

He asked my mom for help
in picking it out...

He knew so little about sewing...
Except that it was something that I loved...

At the time...
They didn't think about purchasing
the box of attachments
that went with the machine...

And over the next few years...
Although I often thought how nice
it would be to be able to do 
all those "extra" things
with my machine...

I just never wanted to take the
time or money to buy the attachment box.

A week or so ago...
While stopping by my favorite thrift store...
I spied a little box tucked back behind
a bag of brightly colored yarn...


Completely intact...
Seemingly brand new...
All for only 99 cents.


I spent several hours that evening
experimenting with all that my 
new attachments would do...

That evening,
As I prepared for bed...
I thought about other "attachments" 
in my life...

How "attachments" 
in and of themselves...
May be wonderful things
That appear to bring us great joy...
Or seem to be doing good...

But if any "attachment"
No matter how wonderful...
steals our time away...
From our walk with the Lord...

This is why I stepped away 
from blogging
for a season...
I was becoming too "attached"...

Amazing how the Lord
Brings us great lessons...


In tiny boxes.

"Love not the world, 
neither the things that are in the world
. If any man love the world,
the love of the Father is not in him."
 I John 2:15

8 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I missed you.. But so understand your yearining to walk with God and step back for awhile.. So proud of you.
    I loved the article on your sewing machine. How wonderful Our Saviour is..He sent you to that store, and set your eyes upon that little box.. He provides for His children and wants to give to them..And all at the right time.How amazing.
    My husband too, bought my first sewing machine ,the first year we were married. I couldnt sew.ha But, it is still running after 39 years [I burned up the motor and had to have a new one put in]. It is in a wooden cabinet, and it has lots of scrathces and oh soooo many memories. My daughter is now 38 and a high school teacher. I sewed just about all of her clothes,prom dresses, and even her wedding dress on this machine. It is precious to me...scrathes and all.
    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Judy,

    Thank you so much for stopping by...I have missed you, too, my friend! Thank you for sharing the sweet story of your sewing machine...they do make memories, don't they! By the way, I took your suggestion and purchased that dress pattern off of ebay...I love it! I modified it a bit...I'll have to show you a picture of what I came up with.

    Sweet blessings, dear friend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Laura, I have missed you! I was so happy to see a new post from you. :)
    Yes, at times I have also had to step aside from blogging for a little while. There's nothing more important than our relationship with the Lord.
    So glad you could find those attachments at such a wonderful price! I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
    Take care, my friend.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Laura...a sweet welcome back! I have missed you! I too, understand the attachment to this "little space" that so quickly takes so much time away from our families and from our homes! I find it to be a place of inspiration and very special friendships...but I find it difficult to balance it all! I enjoyed your thoughts on "attachments"...it certainly is very true! Simple Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Melanie,

    I, too, have missed you so, my friend! Much has happened in our lives over the summer...which I hope to share in upcoming blogs. I just needed to step back for a while...and listen to what the Lord had to say to me.

    I am really excited about using the attachments! I have been so blessed with the "finds" I have discovered at our thrift store...all of which seem to be at the perfect time...God is oh so good!

    I pray that you and your family are fine...and that school is going well. I will be stopping by for a visit very soon...I have truly missed your friendship!

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Teri!

    Thank you so much for stopping by...I have missed you all!

    I am so grateful that you all understand so well the need for "stepping away" for a season...
    blogging is such a wonderful blessing...when we are careful to use it wisely.

    I will stop by soon for a visit...I have been missing your
    sweet posts!

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear *Mom*,

    I have missed you so much! :o) There are no words to really describe how much I have. :o) I have tears in my eyes I'm so happy that you have returned! :o) I do understand why you stepped away. We each have to do that in our lives at times and seek anew the road that Christ is asking of us to follow. I stepped away for awhile as well and just recently returned.

    What a beautiful post. I have that attachment box for my grandmothers sewing machine. Oh how I wish I could have learned by sitting next to her as I grew but, that was not God's plan. :o) I'm so thankful that you were able to find it! You will have to show us what you do with them! :o)

    Once again my dear - so thankful you are back. :o) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nabila,

    Thank you so much for your kind words...you are so special. I, too, look forward to returning to all of you and sharing in your day to day lives and learning how God is leading you.

    I will share some of the projects I'm working on as I learn to use the attachments...just like having a new toy!

    With love,
    "Mom"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...