Our weekends here usually
include a trip to our
transfer station/recycle center/
town dump...
And this past weekend
was no different.
We had one load of brush left
from cutting down three trees
last weekend...
While throwing the brush
on the brush pile...
My husband happened to
glance over to the wood pile
and noticed some old boxes.
With a quick...
"I might be able to do
something with those..."
He tossed them into the back
of the truck.
He thought that someone
might have had them in an
old workshop and just
didn't need them anymore.
One of them still had
the old shipping label
on the side...
Later, that day,
I heard some "sawing" noises
coming from outside...
And found my husband hard at work...
Turning some old wooden boxes...
Into "Timeless Treasures"
Two of the boxes
he refashioned into
a smaller bookcase and
a larger bookcase
that we will use in one of the bedrooms...
The third box
became a bookcase
for the kitchen!
As I was filling the bookcase
with some of my favorite
kitchen "treasures..."
I thought about how our Lord
is a "Timeless Treasure..."
"Lord, thou hast been our
dwelling place in all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
or ever thou hadst formed
the earth and the world,
even from everlasting to everlasting,
thou art God..."
Psalm 90:1-2
But unlike the old boxes
that were "changed" into something new...
Our Lord is always the same
forever and ever...
"Jesus Christ the same
yesterday,
and to day,
and for ever. "
Hebrews 13:8
What a comfort it is
to rest in this assurance...
For what an incredible
Treasure He is!



Those Scriptures are beautiful! Thank you for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteThe boxes are wonderful! It just makes me smile to see them put to such a great use! I imagine you'll smile every time you look at them!
Dear Keri,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have you stop by for a visit! I was totally thrilled when my husband finished the bookcases...he is always doing sweet things like this for me. I feel so blessed to be married to a man with such talented hands.
Hope you are having a wonderful week!
Laura
Hi, Laura~
ReplyDeleteYour husband did a BEAUTIFUL job on the shelves, and you have such pretty items displayed on them.:)
Those verses go so well with your post. Yes, our Lord is an incredible treasure...words cannot describe.
Hope you're having a good week. It is so hot here! We're under a severe thunderstorm watch this evening with the possibility of strong winds and hail. I'm praying it won't be bad.
Take care.♥
Dear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the sweet comments. My husband will be so pleased to hear that you liked the bookcases.
We will be praying for you tonight...as well as those all over. We are under a tornado watch as I write this comment (rare for our area). A tornado has already touched down north of us...a very rare event for Maine. Right now it is very eerie like outside...windy with a funny kind of mugginess to it...hard to describe.
Hope all is going well your last week of school!
Blessings,
Laura
Wow!! How beautiful!! If only the owner could see them now!! And I can't help but think that is what the Lord does with us...turns us from ugly to useful for the Kingdom! :) Have a great day!!Better weather today, that's for sure!! :)
ReplyDeleteDear Karen,
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! Wasn't it strange to be on "tornado watch" yesterday! That certainly doesn't happen very often in Maine! I was so happy to see the sun this morning. Perhaps with a few drying days...we'll have our gardens up and running!
Have a wonderful day!
Laura
I do hope this comment goes through. I have been having a very hard time posting comments on blogs over the last week or so.
ReplyDeleteYour husband did such a lovely job on those shelves. What a wonderful reminder that our Lord takes the discarded pieces of our lives and converts them to something useful and beautiful!
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by for a visit. I am sorry that you are also experiencing commenting issues...this seems to be happening to quite a few people. Miss Carra found that by "cleaning her cache" she was able to comment better...at least for a while. You might try that...if you haven't thought of it already.
I do so love the bookcases...especially since my husband refashioned them just for me. Having old items around is a constant reminder for me of what the Lord does for us...making us new again...with a new purpose...as you so eloquently shared!
Have a blessed day,
Laura
What wonderful thoughts to go with the amazing bookcases your husband made with the boxes. I could hardly believe my eyes!
ReplyDeleteDear Anne,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your sweet comment! I just love my new bookcases...my husband is such a sweetie! He's always doing nice things like this for us.
Have a blessed evening,
Laura
Hi Laura, thankyou for visiting my blog.. I am new to blogging and "have an old brain,ha'..so, I am in the learning how to do mode.ha
ReplyDeleteI am so amazed at your blog. How encouraging.I have enjoyed it throughly.. Will definitely come back..
I loved, loved the book shelfs your husband made..And, Most of all.. I love how you see Our Wonderful Saviour in each thing. That is awsome.
The fact that your mom cross stitched the picture for you and your dad, made the frame, is wonderful..I know you will treasure it forever.
May God bless each of you. I feel so honored to meet you. And so proud you came to my blog..
Judy
Yea!! I'm so glad my comments are finally starting to go through again! I did try to clean the Internet cache and cookies, but that didn't seem to help. Thankfully, whatever the issue was seems to have resolved itself now.
ReplyDeleteI am excited to hear more about the 500 patterns you found at the thrift store. Are they older patterns? I've started shopping for older patterns on eBay because a lot of the more current patterns are just not very modest. It has become a source of frustration for me because the reason I learned to sew is to be able to sew more modest clothing. I'm having to redraft patterns in order to raise necklines or otherwise alter them for the sake of modesty. *sigh*
Nevertheless, please let us know if you find any nice patterns at the thrift store (if you have an opportunity to return). I'm sure whatever you make from them will be lovely!
Dear Judy,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment! It is always so much fun to find others who enjoy the same activities. I look forward to spending some time seeing all the sewing projects you've done!
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeletePraise God! You've finally got your blogger issue under control! I know how frustrating that can be...seems like so many have had issues with this.
I hope to get to the thrift shop again tomorrow and look through some of the patterns. Many of them were older ones...lots of dresses...and many which have never been used! I prefer the vintage patterns as well...the dresses were much more modest and tailored back in the 30s and 40s. I'll definitely have to blog on some of my finds!
Hope you are having a good week and getting some relief from the heat. We had a beautiful day today...70s with a slight sea breeze...just perfect.
Blessings,
Laura
Oh what a great bookshelf! A nice timeless treasure to enjoy for many years to come! :o)
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila,
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by...I do love my new bookcases! We have so many old books around here...and I really like having them out where we can use them everyday!
Have a blessed Sunday!
Laura
Love your book cases...they would surely come in handy. Trish
ReplyDeleteDear Trish,
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! I love your new blog title...you certainly do have a love of quilts...that's for sure!
Hope you have a wonderful day!
Laura