Friday, May 27, 2011

Three Faces...

Another gift from Sunday...
This one also from my parents...
A unique old-fashioned doll.

We first saw her while visiting
last December.


 She was buried beneath
old books and
laying on top of a
rusty old toolbox.

I fell in love with her right away.
(I sort of have this thing for dolls...
especially hand-made ones!)

But, alas, she was not
in my budget that day.
 So she remained at Elmer's...
Or so I thought!
Turns out, Mom and Dad
went back the next day
to "rescue" her.

The special thing about this doll
aside from her delicate porcelain
head and hands...
Along with her hand-made body
and clothing...
Is her face...
Or should I say "faces"
For she has three!


One happy face...


One sad face...


And one sleeping face.

You change the faces
by turning the little knob
at the top of her head.


Later that evening,
As we were studying scripture...
My husband remarked that the doll
Sadly reminded him of some folks
He had met before who may
"claim the name of Jesus..."
Yet wear different faces...

One face for their Christian friends
and acquaintances...

One face for
"out in the world..."

And a third face that
only their family sees at home.

However, we know,
that Jesus sees all of our faces...
For He knows our hearts.

We prayed that the face
that we show to everyone
would be one that always
brings glory and honor
to the One who faced death
because He loves us so.


"If my people, 
which are called by my name, 
shall humble themselves, 
and pray, and seek my face
and turn from their wicked ways;
then will I hear from heaven, 
and will forgive their sin, 
and will heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14

14 comments:

  1. How thoughtful of your mum!

    But thanks especially for bringing your 'doll story' to the more important 'story' - that of how we are living our lives before God - He who sees us always. Beautifully done x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the doll. And the story that went with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat! I was just talking to a client about that yesterday. It's something that all of us have to work on each day. We all have our moments when we flip to a different face depending our surroundings. It's especially hard in my line of work since I have to deal with a vast array of different people from all walks of life. So I try to be an example of Christ as best I can and I know I fail more then I would like but thankfully with grace - God can still shine through me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Laura~

    I have never seen a doll like that before! That is so neat! How sweet of your mom and dad to get it for you.♥

    It's so important that our face is the same no matter where we are or who we're with. :)

    Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. How thoughtful of them. Have a good weekend. I too was having a time trying to leave comments. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anne,
    Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment. We, as a family, have really been making this a focus of late...that with everyone we meet...we are a witness. We fail, repeatedly, of course, but we continue to try...for we know this is what our Lord requires of us.

    Love your posts on Harris Tweed!
    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Laura,

    I'm so glad that you stopped by for a visit! Isn't the doll just too precious! I have quite a collection of dolls...many are home-made...but all tell a story of some kind. My mom is always on the lookout of "old" dolls...she is such a sweetie!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nabila Grace,

    My, my, dear girl, you have been busy leaving me comments! What a blessing it was to hear from you. I pray that all is well with you and your sweet family. Your words are so true...especially in the kind of work you do...you certainly come in contact with so many different types of people. What an amazing opportunity to shine for Jesus! I will continue to pray for your ministry there.

    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Melanie,

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I hope that you all enjoyed a wonderful long weekend. You must be so excited to be almost finished with school for the year...I'm sure Miss Katie is!

    Don't you just love this doll! You should have seen where we found her...buried under all kinds of dirty stuff! Elmer's Barn is such a fun place to visit...it is never the same...and you don't know what you might stumble across when you are there. We usually try to visit several times a year.

    Hope all is well with you all. Daniel is seriously considering his PhD this fall at Liberty U...we'll see what God has in store!

    Have a blessed week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Trish,

    So many people have had trouble with blogger as of late. Hope it is all cleared up for you by now. Thanks for stopping by...I agree, it was very thoughtful of mom and dad to get this doll for me! They are always doing such sweet things for us.

    Have a terrific week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura what an interesting and beautiful doll I wonder who the maker is , it must have a label of the maker on it somewhere I have never seen enything like it I also love old dolls I once saw one that I was really smitten with at the flea market and the seller read how excited I was and asked way to much for it and I didn't have that on me ,I still think about that doll. How wonderful and thoughtful you parents were to rescue it for you, thank you for stopping by to admire my commode that I picked up from the street ,I have been busy working on it to stain it along with the rocker. I have also had trouble leaving comments for some reason ,but I think this will go through to you did your hubby make the shelves out of the wooded boxed for your kitchen we can never have enough shelves right ,your post are so inspiring and meaningful I don't have words. xoxo theodora

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura,

    I thought that I was the only one who liked dolls. :) This one is certainly unique. I've never seen a porcelain doll which had the capabilities to change facial expressions. That was sure sweet of your parents to go and buy you this special treasure.

    Also, your husband surely made a wise observation in regards to showing "different faces," depending upon the situation we are in or the people we come into contact with each day. This should not be so. Although we are not perfect, we should show our true self at all times, and not "hide" behind various "facial masks."

    Blessings,

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Theodora,

    Thank you so much for stopping by! It is always a treat to have you "drop in" from Greece! I just love your little shop. I don't know what type of doll she is...there is no label anywhere. I imagine the person who made her purchased the head and hands and made the body herself.

    I am very excited about the bookcases...in fact, my newest post is about them! My husband is so clever...and always doing sweet things like this for me. I am so blessed!

    Have a wonderful day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lady Rose,
    It is always such a pleasure when you stop by for a visit! I wish I knew more about the doll...there was no information with her...no labels...so I really have no idea where she came from. It is the only one I have ever seen like it before.

    You are so right...it is so important that we should not be hiding behind "masks". I'm so glad that you pointed out the fact that we are not perfect...I think, perhaps, this might be the cause behind some of the "masks" worn by people...trying to portrait a perfect image.

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...