Sunday, July 10, 2011

Make The World More Beautiful...

Summer On The Coast!

Wild roses blooming everywhere!

I always know when it is getting
close to that "first day of summer"
when I see these wildflowers
alongside the roads and fields...


Wild Lupine!

Along the coast of Maine...
we see these beautiful flowers
every summer...


Along roadsides
and in fields...


Mostly in beautiful shades
of purple, rose, and white...


One of my favorite children's authors...
Who just happens to be from Maine
is Barbara Cooney...

She wrote a wonderful story
about the Lupine Lady
entitled Miss Rumphius...


 In the story,
Miss Rumphius (whose first name is Alice)
wants to do three things
when she grows up...

One,
she wants to go to faraway places...


Two,
She wants to live beside the sea...


And finally, three,
She wants to do something
to make the world more beautiful...


So, in her old age,
Miss Rumphius
walks along the coastline...
Scattering seeds...

"All that summer Miss Rumphius,
her pockets full of seeds,
wandered  over fields and headlands,
sowing lupines.
She scattered seeds along the
highways and down the 
country lanes..."


This was her way
to make the world more beautiful...

So...

I ask myself on this gorgeous
Sunday morning...

What am I doing to make
of him that bringeth good tidings,
that publisheth peace;
that bringeth good tidings of good, 
that publisheth salvation..."
 Isaiah 52:7
 
How beautiful are the feet of them
that preach the gospel of peace,
and bring glad tidings of good things! 
Romans 10:15
 
So...
How can I make this world
 a more beautiful place???

Simply by being more beautiful myself...

Not with my outward appearances...
But with an inward beauty...
That shares the love of Christ
with the whole world...


"But let your adorning be the hidden person 
of the heart with the imperishable beauty 
of a gentle and quiet spirit, 
which in God's sight is very precious..."
I Peter 3:4

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely story and such beautiful pictures! Maine must be a beautiful place to live. We have been to all the 50 states EXCEPT Alaska and Maine. We hope to go to both someday. I like your reminder that we should try and make the world more beautiful. You definitely do with your posts. I'm sure the world is a better place with you in it.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kathy,

    What a sweet comment...thank you! Boy, you really have traveled quite a bit...haven't you! I've never been much further than the east coast...perhaps some day. Actually, this may sound strange...but I've never been on an airplane! Living where we do, however, I do get the chance to meet people from all over. It is surprising how many people like to vacation in Maine!

    Hope you are having a wonderful week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mom,

    Great photos! It took me a little while to figure out where the photos of the lupine were taken...even though I go by it quite often. :)

    This is a great post, and I really liked the verses you used. May we all openly share the love of Christ with others. His love is truly beautiful.

    Love,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joshua,

    I just love it when the lupine blooms...such an incredible display of color! I sometimes have to remind myself how blessed we are to live in such a beautiful place...I think I take it for granted much too often!l

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what beautiful flowers! :o) Thank you for this post. :o) This is something that I deal with a lot. :o) It's so important to help others see the beauty of our hearts and who Jesus is instead of being only used as an instrument of societal beauty. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura,
    How are you and family.. Doing great here.. Just been sewing away.. Making some skirts/dresses for my 10 yr old grandaughter.. She is soooo tiny..its hard to find dresses to fit her and be long enough.And I really enjoy it. She loves them too..
    So enjoyed your blog today.You always lift my spirits by reminding me , of how much God loves each of us.. And its not the outward appearance but whats inside ,that counts..
    thankyou for sharing.Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful pictures, Laura!! I like that little story...so sweet.:)
    Yes, we need to strive to pay more attention to our inner selves than the outer. Hope you're doing well, my friend.♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura,
    How are you? been worring about you..Havent heard from you lately..Hope your just on vaccation, nothing more.. Praying for you. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Nabila,

    It is so true, my dear, how easy it is to get caught up in the things of this world. But how very important it is for us to focus on "true beauty" ...within ourselves, within others, and in all of God's creation. So nice to hear from you!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Melanie,

    I just love this little book...and others by the same author. Her illustrations are so beautiful...children just seem to be drawn to them.

    Hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer...staying cool and getting a much deserved rest!

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Judy,

    You are just too dear! Thank you so much for being worried...nothing is wrong...we've just been really busy with the things of summer! I have been doing a lot of sewing...hope to share some of it on my blog really soon! I am having a wonderful time with my "new" serger...what a Godsend that has been!

    Have a blessed day, my friend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...