Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Being A Good "Roll Model"

When you live with a 16 year old 
mechanical whiz...
You quickly get used to having 
many projects going on 
all the time in the barn...

Lately, our youngest son
Has been working on his 1948 Ford truck...


The truck used to belong 
to my dad...

Many years ago,
My husband found the truck in a field...
My dad restored it.


Originally, Dad had intended to
leave it to Samuel in his will...
But then decided that he'd 
much rather get the opportunity
to see Samuel enjoy it...

 

Dad and Sam just love taking it
On little trips to town...
Or going to the local antique 
car shows together...

Because Samuel is always working
on some sort of "car" project...
He has made many friends
And acquaintances 
While searching for 
just the part he needs...

"Craigslist" and "Uncle Henry's"
are two of his favorite sites
to search for "deals on wheels"

There is a real camaraderie
Amongst those who rebuild 
and restore cars...
I love the way they help
each other out...
And trade parts...
And share information.

It saddens me to think...
That we in the "Christian" community
Don't always behave this way...

Last evening,
we had a nice man visit
who was interested in a S-10 frame
that Sam had done some work on.
Sam had originally hoped to use
this frame under a truck cab
he had acquired...
But it just wasn't quite right for the cab.


The man decided it was exactly
what he was looking for...
And praised Sam for doing such
a nice job describing it on the phone...

Then he told us this story...

He said that he recently bought 
a vehicle sight unseen
from a "religious man"
who "went to church and everything..."

He said that the man
Claimed that the car was in 
great shape...
But actually was far from it...

When he called the man
to discuss the situation
The man told him...

"What do you want me to do?
You bought it..."

Then he said something
that really broke my heart...
He said...

"I hope you  guys aren't 
religious or anything..."

Dearest Ladies...
Those of us who 
claim the name of Christ
Must realize that others are
watching us all the time...

The world around us
should see Christ in us...
Not just on Sunday...
Or in church...
But in everything we say and do.

One small act of unkindness
or deceit...
Might keep someone
from ever knowing 
our Saviour...

Yes, this is a big responsibility...
But as the scriptures tell us
Much is required of those
who walk with Christ...

"For unto whomsoever much is given,
of him shall be much required: 
and to whom men have committed much, 
of him they will ask the more."
Luke 12:48b

As we helped the man
load the frame onto his trailer...
And watched as he waved
and headed down the drive...
My quick-witted 16 year old remarked...

"Guess that's why it's
important to always be a
good "roll" model"



9 comments:

  1. What a privilege and a responsibility! Thanks for the gentle reminder...people watch us, even in more sublte ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Keri,

    It really did make me feel awful when I heard this poor man feel so upset with "religious" people. We really do have enormous power given to us to help or hurt...we need to be oh, so careful.

    Hope you all are having a wonderful week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura,

    That is such a sad story. I noticed in the comments that your husband is going to be meeting with him again. It makes me feel so much better to know this man will have a wonderful example before him of who Christians really are. I will be praying that your husband will be able to lead this man to Christ.

    Yes, people are watching us all the time, even when we don't know it!

    Hope your week is going well.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Melanie,

    Thanks so much for stopping by. I was listening to a sermon this morning (while doing housework) by J.R. Miller. It was all about being a witness in our everyday dealings. He said that it is easy to seem "wonderful" and "perfect" on those special occasions...but our true colors come through in our daily activities. It has really got me thinking about some things...

    Hope you all are having a wonderful week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura...just wanting to wish you sweet weekend blessings! I am still struggling with posting and comments...sometimes it works and sometimes it does not! I am enjoying your posting even if I am not able to comment each time! Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Teri,

    Oh, I am so glad that you were able to leave a comment on my blog...but sad to hear that you are still having issues! It must be very frustrating for you. I look forward to when you can begin posting again!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura ,
    Your 16 yr old son , sounds wonderful. It is fantastic that his grandad gets to enjoy the truck with him.
    I have 5 grandkids.. Such a blessing.
    I have 2 children.. Our son is 33, he is a preacher. Our daughter is 37 and a high school teacher. we are so proud of both of them.
    I so agree, it is so sad, that people who proclaim to be christians.. will use God's name to sell or get what they want. It just breaks my heart. If we as God's children would always live by God's rules and His loving grace. we would be so much better off.
    thankyou for the sweet comments on my blog. I so enjoy them.
    Yes.. I just love a good find.. excitement is not the word for it,ha.
    I am so excited for you,about finding the patterns.. oooooh fun.. I would be going back too.. Probably way tooo much.ha..
    Do you sew alot? I just love it.
    Hope you have a blessed day. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura,
    I just saw your market bags ,out of pillowcases..what a cute idea.. I think I will make one.. I am thinking also.. what about adding interfacing and making a purse out of it too..
    I know you have 3 boys.. How old are the other two..[know the one is 16].
    Just wanted to let you know, I have enjoyed your blog so much.. All the scriptures and the love of our wonderful saviour is so refreshing. May God bless you and keep you and your family safe. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Judy,

    Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit and yes, I LOVE to sew! Right now I've been doing quite a bit with vintage sheets. I just finished a baby quilt...quilt as you go style...made out of lovely pinks. I'm working on some aprons...thinking about doing a give-away with one of them. I also took a book out of the library on "Alabama Style" sewing (working with jersey) which I would really like to try.

    Hope you have a blessed Sunday!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...