Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Sentinel...

Look very closely...
Do you see him?

 This beautiful creature has taken
up residence in our yard...


Ever watchful...

And what is he watching for?

Frogs in our pond...


And our ladies on the loose...


How do we know he is there?
We don't always see him...
But he makes his presence known...

A moanful "hoot" from the woods
in the twilight hours...

An occasional shadow over the pond
swooping down after some innocent prey...

Once, last week,
As I emerged from the chicken coop
He flew down in a wide arc...
Just inches from my head...
And then retreated to a nearby tree...
And stared at me...

Just to let me know that he was still watching...
 And waiting...

There are several definitions of  
sentinel in the dictionary...

1. One who is watching for something to happen; a lookout

2. One who keeps guard in order to protect

I think the first definition fits our
owl friend perfectly...

He is just watching and waiting
for the opportunity to nab
a tasty dinner...

He is on the "lookout" for
either a frog or a hen to
be caught unaware...

But I think that the second definition
is a much better description
of our Lord...

He is our Protector...
Our Guard...
He is forever watching over us...

We may not always be aware of this...
But if we observe closely...
He is always making His presence known...

I am so thankful for
The Sentinel...

"The eyes of the LORD are everywhere;
Keeping watch..."
Proverbs 15:3

12 comments:

  1. Hey Mom,

    He was certainly beautiful...almost haunting. They don't even make a sound as they fly through the forest. Their prey doesn't even see or hear them coming.

    I am so thankful that the Lord is keeping watch over us.

    Love,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Josh,

    He is certainly beautiful...but I do miss letting the ladies out and about! Hopefully, when the frog population dies down...he will go searching elsewhere for food. Then the hens can be "freed" once again!

    I, too, am ever so thankful that the Lord keeps watch over us. As we discussed this morning, we need to remember that He is in control of every situation in our lives...as long as we are being obedient to Him...He will guide us in the best path possible.

    I love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura~
    We have an owl nearby too. He likes the woods next to our house. His hoot is a little spooky.
    I sure hope he doesn't get one of your hens!

    Yes, I am so thankful we have the Lord as our Sentinel, watching over us and protecting us every day...so comforting to know. Thank you for the reminder today.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura ~ Beautiful post. Both with photos, and prose. Such wonderful words of wisdom in your replies too...so true! "The person who trusts the Lord will be blessed." Jeremiah 17:7

    Also, thank you for the heartfelt comment on my Blog earlier today. It meant a lot to me...and was very touching. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your Blog, and the inspiring Blog of your son, Josh. In a way, our Blogs are like the Sentinel ~ we are "like-minded" folks who watch out for each other in this land of personal stories (Blogs) online.

    God Bless ~
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. He won't stop at one...if he does get one he'll keep coming back. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,

    Having the Lord as our Sentinel is surely a blessing, indeed!

    That owl looks rather spooky to me. You better keep a look-out for him so he doesn't get one of your precious little hens!

    Blessings,

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Melanie,

    Owls certainly are rather spooky...aren't they! We have several lurking about...but this big one seems to have claimed the pond "as his own". Our poor ladies...they want so much to be out and about...they have to settle right now for our moveable pen...at least they get fresh grass everyday even if they cant' range free for the time being.

    I've been thinking quite a bit lately on how the Lord protects us from so much...most of which we probably aren't even aware of. I'm trying to be more aware of this...and not take Him for granted.

    Hope you are all having a wonderful week...I love the flowers on your new post...I think you must all be about a month ahead of us as far as blooming goes!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sherry,

    Thanks so much for stopping by...and for your kind words. We truly do enjoy living a simple life...the simpler the better as far as we are concerned! Most days I don't even care to leave the point...there is so much to do and enjoy. I believe that you feel much the same way about where you live. God's peace is very prevalent in this type of life.

    Hope you are all having a fabulous week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Trish,

    How well we know this! Once they get a taste for something...they are here to stay! Funny this is...one of our friends...less than a mile away...has been able to let his range free with no trouble from the owls...go figure! We've also had an issue with a hawk as of late...so for now the ladies have to be content to be in their movable pen. At least they are getting a little change of scenery!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lady Rose,
    Thank you so much for stopping by. I truly am thankful that our Lord is our Sentinel...watching over us, protecting us. But it also is a reminder that our focus needs to be on Him always...to be pleasing to Him and obedient as well...for He will discipline His children when they need it!

    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat! He looks very distinguished on his perch. Hopefully he doesn't get a tasty meal from any of your ladies. :o) I'm thankful that God is always there to watch out for us and to watch for the other sentinel that watches us without our best interest in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Nabila,
    He is absolutely gorgeous...and very hungry. So far, he has been unable to nab any of our ladies. I hope he never gets the chance!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...