My mom is the most incredible seamstress...
I have the sweetest memories of her...
Sitting at her sewing machine...
Making dresses for us girls...
Fashioning curtains for our home...
Sewing doll clothes for Jenny Lind dolls...
(Does anyone remember these???
Mom earned a bit of extra "grocery money"
sewing doll clothes at home. )
She could create anything!
New seat covers for Dad's truck...
Canvas cover for the boat...
Costumes for dance recitals
and musicals...
I guess that's why I didn't
think it was such a big deal
to make a cover for my greenhouse...
It was simply something
mom would do!
Sometime last year mom decided
to redecorate one of the bedrooms
in her home...
On the twin beds were the first two quilts
she had ever made.
Although she has been sewing
upwards of 80 years...
She has only be quilting for perhaps
the last 30 years or so...
The first two quilts were
log cabin quilts...
They were in need of a bit of repair...
And she just wanted something new.
I was almost in tears when I found out
that she was just planning to donate
them to the local thrift shop!
"I didn't think anyone would want
these old things..." she told me.
I told her that I most definitely wanted them...
And to just "tuck them away" until
I had the time to repair them...
Well, she didn't exactly listen very well...
Instead, she took the two quilts apart...
And remade them into one large quilt
to fit my bed...
She worked on this project
almost every evening for three months...
Fashioning the two twin quilts together...
Fixing worn spots...
Hand quilting upwards of twenty blocks...
Do I feel "blanketed in love???"
You bet I do!
We love you, Momma...
Happy Mother's Day!
Mom earned a bit of extra "grocery money"
sewing doll clothes at home. )
She could create anything!
New seat covers for Dad's truck...
Canvas cover for the boat...
Costumes for dance recitals
and musicals...
I guess that's why I didn't
think it was such a big deal
to make a cover for my greenhouse...
It was simply something
mom would do!
Sometime last year mom decided
to redecorate one of the bedrooms
in her home...
On the twin beds were the first two quilts
she had ever made.
Although she has been sewing
upwards of 80 years...
She has only be quilting for perhaps
the last 30 years or so...
The first two quilts were
log cabin quilts...
They were in need of a bit of repair...
And she just wanted something new.
I was almost in tears when I found out
that she was just planning to donate
them to the local thrift shop!
"I didn't think anyone would want
these old things..." she told me.
I told her that I most definitely wanted them...
And to just "tuck them away" until
I had the time to repair them...
Well, she didn't exactly listen very well...
Instead, she took the two quilts apart...
And remade them into one large quilt
to fit my bed...
She worked on this project
almost every evening for three months...
Fashioning the two twin quilts together...
Fixing worn spots...
Hand quilting upwards of twenty blocks...
Do I feel "blanketed in love???"
You bet I do!
We love you, Momma...
Happy Mother's Day!
"She seeks wool, and flax,
and works willingly with her hands..."
Proverbs 31:13

Oh my! What a wonderful and loving mom you have! It is absolutely beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteThat quilt is gorgeous. What a wonderful keepsake your mother made for you. It's even more special that she took two quilts apart and made them into one especially for you.
ReplyDeleteDear Laura,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by. I do feel so blessed to have a mother who is so thoughtful...she had made some wonderful keepsakes for me over the years!
Hope you have a very Happy Mother's Day!
Laura
Dear Granny,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet comment. My mom is just the best...she is always doing something special for us. I have learned so much from her.
Hope you have a very blessed Mother's Day!
Laura
Hi, Laura~
ReplyDeleteYour mom did such a beautiful job on the quilt. What a sweet surprise that must have been for you...she's a treasure indeed! Of course you feel blanketed in love!!♥
You did a great job re-covering the greenhouse too! What a neat way you thought to make the cover. I'm glad it worked out so well. :)
Now, about the bottom picture. Did you cross-stitch that? It's such a sweet little poem.
Happy Mother's Day!♥
That is beautiful! Priceless!
ReplyDeleteDear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteAs always, thank you so much for your sweet comments! The cross-stitched picture at the bottom is for my mom for Mother's Day...she doesn't read my blog (she's never been on a computer!) so I figured it was safe to show it. Don't you just love that little poem!
Hope you have a wonderful restful day tomorrow! Happy Mother's Day!
Love,
Laura
Dear Keri,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your sweet comment...I feel the same way...I will treasure this gift forever.
I hope that you have a wonderful Mother's Day...I'm sure that your family will treat you like a queen!
God bless,
Laura
What a wonderful gift to you, Laura!
ReplyDeleteYour mum is one very special lady :-)
I can understand you being upset at how close you came to losing this precious heirloom.
But now you can always enjoy your beautiful love-filled quilt.
blessings..Trish
What a very sweet story. I truly enjoyed reading this. Your mother sounds like a very generous, thoughtful, loving woman. I just wanted to stop by and wish you a joyous and blessed Mother's Day, dear Laura! :)
ReplyDeleteDear Laura...how sweet of your Mom...the quilt is beautiful! Wishing you and your Mom the sweetest Mother's Day blessings! Hugs ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteOnly a loving Mother would do that. What a blessing. Happy Mothers Day. Trish
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely, beautiful gift your mom gave you!!!! That is just so neat!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to drop in and wish you a happy Mother's Day, even though the day is over. I hope your boys made you feel especially special today, as you are. :)
Blessings to you and yours,
~Cora
Dear Trish,
ReplyDeleteI just love filling my home with old things that remind me of people or days gone by. I am so grateful that I happened to be there when she was thinking of "giving these away"! I feel especially blessed to have this special quilt.
Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Laura
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet "Mother's Day" comment...but I must admit...my "boys" make every day feel like Mother's Day around here! I am truly blessed with such a wonderful family.
Hope that you are having a good week at work...
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Teri,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by on Mother's Day...I hope that your day was as wonderful as mine! It is truly a blessing from the Lord to be a mother...in so many wonderful ways!
Have a blessed week,
Laura
Dear Trish,
ReplyDeleteYou are so right...only a mother would spend the countless hours on a project such as this. My mom doesn't see so well right now...and so on many of her projects she uses a magnifying glass...but it still doesn't stop her! She is such a wonderful blessing to us!
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Miss Cora Beth,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet "Mother's Day" wishes! I did have a wonderful day with both my parents and my "guys". The weather was gorgeous...it was so beautiful on the water yesterday. God's blessings are neverending, aren't they!
Hope you and your family have a wonderful week!
With love,
Mrs. Laura
Oh, what a wonderful treasure! You are richly blessed!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely day,
Sharon
Beautiful. Your family is amazing. As a mother, you must be so proud of your son, Josh...I'm blown away by his Blog and his wisdom. Have a wonderful week.
ReplyDeleteDear Sharon,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by...and for your sweet comment. I do feel amazingly blessed beyond measure...God is so good.
Hope you are having a wonderful week!
Laura
Dear Sherry,
ReplyDeleteGod is so absolutely amazing...I just came in from visiting with one of our elderly neighbors down the road. Joshua had told me that you had left another wonderful comment on his blog...and I told him that I was going to stop by your blog and thank you for being such an encourager. When I opened my e-mail...there you were with this sweet comment! I do feel so blessed with the family that the Lord has given me...I couldn't ask for anything more.
Have a blessed week,
Laura
It's beautiful and you are very blessed by such a loving, thoughtful mamma!!
ReplyDeleteDear Karen,
ReplyDeleteMy mother is such a sweetie...she is always trying to think of different ways to bless her family. I just love her to pieces!
Have a blessed day!
Laura
Oh how beautiful! There is never an end to a mother's love! :o)
ReplyDeleteAmen, Nabila. My mom just keeps on giving...she is such an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Laura