Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Need For A Brake...

Actually, the need for 4 brakes.

Friday evening, my son arrived
home from work with a worried look
on his face.

"I think my brakes are gone."


Now, we all know that brakes
are important at all times.

But when you tow a trailer
with heavy equipment loaded on it...
And this is what you do for a living...
They are especially important!

Wondering about "bleeding" the brakes...

Fortunately,
we have a 16 year old 
mechanic in the family!

Hard at work...removing the old pads...

So this weekend was brake weekend.
And each of us had a part...
Even me!
My big contribution...
I drove to the parts store to pick up the new brakes...

Father and son...deep in discussion!

It is truly amazing
the money we have saved as a family
because the Lord saw fit
to bless us with a child who is so
mechanically minded...

Thanks, Samuel!

So...
What are brakes for???

To slow us down...
To protect us from danger.

But, not only do we need
brakes in our vehicles...

We need breaks in our lives...

To slow us down...
To protect us from danger.

Even our Lord saw fit
to take a break from the outside world
To be with the Father...

"And in the morning,
rising up a great while before day,
He went out, 
and departed into a solitary place, 
and there prayed..."
Mark 1:35

And what is important to our Lord...
Should also be important to us.

Taking a much needed break...for some B Ball!
Just a little side note...
Josh was asked to do a little
side job for one of his customers
on Thursday...
The money received for the work
was within a few cents
of the cost of the brakes...
God is so good!

18 comments:

  1. Hey Mom,

    I knew that something was wrong when I saw the smoke coming from the rear tires! Smoke coming out of vehicles is never good (unless perhaps you are drag racing maybe!). I was so thankful that Dad and Sam could fix the brakes so I could go back out and work.

    It was truly amazing that the cost of the brakes came to what I received for the job I did that week. Dan and I only worked for a few hours yet received a substantial amount of money for the job. By the way, the money I received for the job covered the entire cost of the brakes!

    Love,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Josh,

    Isn't it incredible how God provides for us...daily...in every way. And the joy we find when we look for the ways in which He blesses us. He is so good.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has blessed you in many ways, two of them being your wonderful sons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Laura~

    I'm so glad Josh was able to get his brakes fixed so he can get back to work. Yes, how wonderful that Samuel is so mechanically gifted!

    What an amazing story of how God provided the money needed to get the new brakes!

    It reminds me of the Sunday School lesson I taught to our primary class this morning about the widow and her two sons listening to Elisha about filling the pots with oil. I was telling them that God always provides, and it's amazing to hear the creative ways He does it!

    Yes, those little breaks are so important. We need to take the time to rest and relax, or spend time just praying and reading God's Word.

    I hope you have a wonderful week, dear friend.♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story made me smile...first, Samuel's gift. I wish we lived closer! Second, the fact that Josh was "reimbursed" by the Lord truly watching out for him. (These things happen to us ALL the time since we began fully trusting in the Lord...it's almost comical to see where He comes up with the/His money source.) OH, and you, Laura...driving to the brake store. You are the epitome of a family that works together for the greater good. Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! Glad the brakes were fixed w/out anything else breaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Granny,

    You are so right...God has richly blessed my family in so many special ways. Other than eternal life, my husband and I count our sons as perhaps the greatest gift that the Lord has given us. He is so good!

    Hope you and Grampy are having a terrific week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Melanie,

    So good to hear from you, friend! I love the little story you shared with your wee ones...don't you just love how children absorb the Lord with their whole hearts? If only we as adults could do that more often...but, of course, He tells us to come to him as children...

    Once again, Sam to the rescue! What a blessing...and he just thrives on this type of stuff! He is forever reading about and researching how engines work...amongst other mechanical things. One of his favorite activities is when we are out shopping. If he sees anyone with their car hood up or with a flat...he strolls over to give them a hand. I have the feeling he just might have his own garage business someday!

    Hope you'll have a chance for a little "break" as soon as school gets out. You must be looking forward to this. Does your church run a VBS in the summer? Wish we didn't live so far apart...we'd bring our puppet theatre down and put on a few shows for your little ones!

    Hope you all are having a great week! By the way, Daniel just turned in his last assignment on Saturday...so...unofficially...he's all done!
    He's looking into the graduate program and possibly a graduate assistantship.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sherry,

    Oh, my, Samuel would absolutely love your place! He'd be tinkering with everything...
    if it has wheels or a motor...he's there!

    Thank you for noticing my "very important" role in the brake job! :) Actually, the guys at the parts store know me quite well...I'm usually the one who gets sent to pick up the supplies needed. I try to sound like I know exactly what I'm talking about...but quite often we have to call home to check on something...it's quite comical!

    Don't you just love all the ways in which God blesses us? If we only open up our eyes and watch closely...there really are no coincidences, are there!

    Hope you all are having a wonderful week!
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Keri,
    Thanks for dropping by! Yes, we are so thankful that the brakes are repaired...and they almost made it through all four without a mishap. On the third brake they lost the fluid (not on purpose) so this slowed things down a bit. But by the end of the day...the lines were bled...and we were back in business!

    Hope all is well with you and your family!
    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Laura,

    I'm so glad to hear how Sam is willing to lend a hand to those needing help. I'm sure those skills will help him all through his life. :)

    Our church sometimes does a VBS. It always comes down to having enough people willing to volunteer. I'm sure you have a great time with your puppet theatre. Kids love puppets!

    Congratulations to Daniel! I'm sure he's very excited! I'll be sure to keep him in my prayers, that God will lead him where he should be.

    I hope you're having a great day. It's a busy one for me here. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mel,
    Daniel asked me to thank you for praying for him...he's so excited about his degree. He would really really LOVE to teach Bible...preferably at the college level. We'll see what God has in store!

    I'll be praying for those volunteers to step forward and feel led to help with VBS. How big is your church? Is your husband a full-time pastor or part-time? Many of the churches in the small towns around here have bi-vocational pastors...the churches are just too small to support a full time pastor.

    Hope your day isn't too stressful...I'll be praying for you as well!
    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Mrs. Laura!

    This post was such a blessing! We were recently in the same boat as you, my Dad travels for a living and so he recently put new brakes on our vehicle.

    I had never really thought about the brakes as you explained them- they always seem to be a nuisance whenever Dad has to replace them- they always need replacing when us girls are headed out the door:)

    However, in life if the brakes aren't changed you just keep sliding until you hit something face on. My brakes have been rather worn out lately:) Thank you for the reminder that it is far better to come to a stop, replace the brakes and then wait once more for God's direction.

    Have a great day!
    God Bless!
    In Him, Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Miss Cassie,

    How sweet of you to stop by, dear! As you know, brakes can be a nuisance at times...both on our cars and in our lives. But I truly believe that the Lord uses these everyday happenings to teach us something about His Goodness. We do need to "watch our speed" and "slow down" on occasion when we are getting away from being obedient to His Word. My husband and I have always tried to encourage our sons to "stop" and seek God's guidance in their lives when they are making decisions; be it big or small ones. This is not always easy for us...but it is always best.

    I pray that all is well with your family. You mentioned that your dad travels with his job...we will add traveling mercies for him in our daily prayers. Does he have to travel long distances? I have a brother who often has to travel up through the White Mountains with his job...which is not often easy in the winter weather.

    Our best to your family,
    God bless,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning Mrs. Laura!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and for the encouraging words!:)

    My Dad sells heavy equipment and his territory extends into the northern part of the state, so it does get rough sometimes with the vehicle seeming to need constant repair:P However God has been so good in providing and watching over us:) Thank you for your prayers!

    Hope your morning is going well!
    God Bless!
    In Him, Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Miss Cassie,

    I can see now the need for good brakes in your family as well. Driving those mountain roads can be treacherous at times...especially in the winter! We feel so blessed that our youngest son seems to be a whiz at fixing machinery...it certainly has saved us a lot of money in garage bills!

    Hope you are all enjoying a blessed day,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a blessing! One time we were headed to CA for vacation and I had saved a couple hundred dollars for our vacation and on the way to the airport we got a flat tire. A kind gentleman stopped and helped us make it to get a new tire and eventually we missed our flight had to get another flight. I was pretty mad at the time then after it all calmed down I realized that if we had had a flat tire at some other time we wouldn't have had the money but we did then and that's when it happened. And now I think back on it a lot and see the hand of God in all that happened. We even brought money home with us! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Nabila,
    I just love stories like this one...seeing God's hand in our lives...up close and personal. He is always watching out for us, isn't He!

    God bless, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...