Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Down The Drain...

Because we live in the state
know as "Vacationland"
Gram and Gramp watching Samuel...
We have both year round
and summer neighbors. 

Many of our neighbors
are elderly couples...

One of our dearest neighbors
spend their winters in South Carolina...

The other evening, after supper,
we received a call from them...
Seems they couldn't get the
water turned on to the outside faucets...

So we took a walk down
to see if we could help...

 

Because their summer place
was built over time...
It has several different sections
each with its own plumbing system...
Which can be confusing.


 Also, many of the pipes are located
in difficult to reach places
especially for older folks!


After a little bit of trial and error,
the guys finally figured out which
pipe went where!


Our friends have this wonderful
outdoor sink for gardening and such...

Can you tell which is the real wood?

It is located behind these bifold doors
which Mrs. T. painted to look 
like stacked wood...
Didn't she do a wonderful job!

Mr. and Mrs. T. were so happy
to finally have all
faucets working properly!

I had to laugh when Mrs. T
made a joke about our
evening going
"down the drain..."

You see,
the idiom "down the drain"
refers to time or money
wasted, lost, or irretrievable...

I would never consider
our time spent helping friends as
"down the drain..."
Would you?


"If you can help your neighbor now, 
don't say, "Come back tomorrow,
and then I'll help you..."
Proverbs 3:28

13 comments:

  1. Wow! That brings back memories!! So many of our older homes here in "Vacationland" were piece-mealed together...a piece here and a piece there!! And "seasonal" means priming pumps and failed wells and all kinds of challenges!! Once I saw a plumber shoot my parents well-point with a pistol!! No kidding!!! It was crazy but whatever it was suppose to achieve, it worked!!
    Neighbors helping neighbors...such a blessing!
    :)
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world would be a much better place if everyone took the time to help their fellow man. Your neighbors are blessed to have you there to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura,
    I'm so glad you could help your neighbors! What a blessing you and your family are.
    My goodness, Mrs. T. did an incredible job painting those doors!
    Helping a friend is definitely not time "down the drain".:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Twombly,

    I had to laugh when I read your comment about the plumber shooting your parent's well with a pistol. It is so true...us Mainers are a different breed. We don't mess around; we just go with what works. As Red Green says (I know he's Canadian but the saying still fits) "When the going gets tough, switch to power tools."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, how very kind you all were to help your neighbors. I'm sure they appreciated it very much. I am in absolute awe of that bi-fold door. That is incredibly clever!!

    Goodness -- shooting unarmed, defenseless wells with pistols and switching to power tools "when the going gets rough". You Yankees don't mess around, do you??

    And then you go out back and root around in the mud for your dinner. *shakes head in amazement*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Karen,

    Shooting the well...I love it!!! I remember back when I was little...the home that my parents live in now started as a one room cabin...with 10 of us kids! There were 2 sets of built in bunk beds...piled 5 high. We lugged water with my little red wagon from the spring that is on the property that we now own...and everyone on the point used this same spring. Seems crazy, yes...but we have wonderful memories of family times and neighbors helping neighbors!

    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Granny,

    Thank you so much for the sweet comment! We feel equally blessed to have the neighbors we do. I can't count the numerous times that one or another of them has stopped by to pick up one of my sons to go hunting or fishing or dog training...or stopped over to share something from their garden...or invited us down to play a game. We feel so fortunate.

    Hope you and Grampy are doing well,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Melanie,

    Aren't those doors incredible! She does some lovely artwork...loves to paint with pastels...so I wasnt' surprised to see this. In fact, I actually walked by it several times before noticing that it wasn't real wood stacked there. They just put in this outdoor sink last fall. Isn't it the best idea!

    I was so excited to get the e-mail from you! Please don't think I'm rude...I just haven't had a chance to sit down and write back...I'm probably going to tonight after dinner. Some of the things you said so spoke to my heart. I look forward to corresponding with you!

    Hope all is going well today...and that it is a bit slower for you than yesterday!
    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Miss Linda,

    Although some may look at us as "red-necks"...we prefer to think of it as
    "Yankee Ingenuity!" Or, as the local ladies might say...a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to get the job done!

    Now, I do take some offense to the comment about "rooting around in the mud" for our dinner. We don't always get our dinner from this source. On occasion, we find that "road kill" makes the best stew! :)

    Hope you are having a very blessed day!
    With prayers (and chuckles)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmm, road kill. We southerners aren't picky. We'll eat anything if you batter it, deep-fry it and smother it with cream gravy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Miss Linda,

    Sounds delish! Please forward any of your favorite "road kill" recipes...seems like there's only so much you can do with dead skunk and porcupine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful! We have been able to meet our neighbor and he is the sweetest old gentleman. He has been helpful in gardening and landscaping and have been able to share baked goods with him. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Nabila,
    Isn't it a wonderful feeling when we reach out to our neighbors...and, in turn, they reach back. Just what our Lord had in mind when He said...love one another.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...