We've been experiencing several days
of mist and fog...
Fog can really be quite beautiful...
Mysterious...
Peaceful...
| Most mornings from this porch, you can see the water dotted with lobster buoys... |
Except for the lobstermen...
You see, they count on clear weather
in order to pull their traps...
When it is foggy like this...
It is very difficult for them to "get through..."
Actually, the idea for this post,
Started and ended
with a phone call...
with a phone call...
I had been experiencing what
I thought was a toothache
for the past several days...
And tried, to no avail,
to reach our dentist by phone...
I just couldn't seem to "get through..."
Now, this is quite odd,
For we have a wonderful, caring,
old-fashioned dentist...
The kind that still has a small office
with only two dental chairs
and one hygienist...
And I've never had an issue
reaching him before...
Well, it turned out that the problem
of "getting through"
was on my end...
One of our phones was slightly
off the hook...
Everything ended well...
I reached the office
They took me right in...
Turns out it is a sinus infection
(allergy season is here!)
And I'm already feeling much better!
Later in the day,
I was responding to some blogger comments
And making some comments myself...
I had just written a long comment
on a friend's blog...
But I forgot to type in the "funny word"
And it didn't "get through!"
I had a discussion with my son
About the need for the "word verification..."
He told me that it keeps
spammer search engines
from finding blogs...
And that it is a good thing...
So, Ladies, please know
that if you've ever left a comment...
And it didn't seem to "get through"
It was most likely because you forgot to
type in the "funny word!"
I love hearing from you...
And I usually post comments as soon
as I read them!
I said earlier that the thought for this post,
Started and ended with a phone call.
We got quite a chuckle out of this...
My parents had a wonderful
surprise visit from one of my
nephews yesterday
who lives in Massachusetts.
He was on a business trip
Visiting several of the stores
Which his company deals with in Maine...
He had a few moments
to stop in to say "hi..."
While he was visiting
the phone rang
and my mom answered it.
Now, it is important to know
that he is the son of my oldest brother.
My father, my brother, and my nephew
all share the same name...Warren.
Well, the lady on the phone
asked for "Warren..."
And my mom handed the phone
to my nephew.
He was puzzled...
"Nobody know's I'm here, Gram!"
Turns out, the phone call
was for my dad...
Which would naturally make sense...
Since he lived there!
But it just didn't "get through"
to my mom who the call was for!
We were discussing about how the Lord
gives us a wonderful example
of not "getting through"
in the parables...
My son, Joshua,
recently wrote three posts on
his favorite parables...
As we read the gospels...
We discover that the parables
did not "get through"
to some of those who heard them.
In Matthew 13:13-15
Our Lord clearly explains why...
"Therefore I speak to them in parables,
![]() | |
| I always laugh at these crazy words! |
I had a discussion with my son
About the need for the "word verification..."
He told me that it keeps
spammer search engines
from finding blogs...
And that it is a good thing...
So, Ladies, please know
that if you've ever left a comment...
And it didn't seem to "get through"
It was most likely because you forgot to
type in the "funny word!"
I love hearing from you...
And I usually post comments as soon
as I read them!
I said earlier that the thought for this post,
Started and ended with a phone call.
We got quite a chuckle out of this...
My parents had a wonderful
surprise visit from one of my
nephews yesterday
who lives in Massachusetts.
He was on a business trip
Visiting several of the stores
Which his company deals with in Maine...
He had a few moments
to stop in to say "hi..."
While he was visiting
the phone rang
and my mom answered it.
Now, it is important to know
that he is the son of my oldest brother.
My father, my brother, and my nephew
all share the same name...Warren.
Well, the lady on the phone
asked for "Warren..."
And my mom handed the phone
to my nephew.
He was puzzled...
"Nobody know's I'm here, Gram!"
Turns out, the phone call
was for my dad...
Which would naturally make sense...
Since he lived there!
But it just didn't "get through"
to my mom who the call was for!
We were discussing about how the Lord
gives us a wonderful example
of not "getting through"
in the parables...
My son, Joshua,
recently wrote three posts on
his favorite parables...
As we read the gospels...
We discover that the parables
did not "get through"
to some of those who heard them.
In Matthew 13:13-15
Our Lord clearly explains why...
"Therefore I speak to them in parables,
because seeing they do not see,
and hearing they do not hear,
nor do they understand.
And in them the prophecy
of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:
‘ Hearing you will hear and
‘ Hearing you will hear and
shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
For the hearts of this people
have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
For the hearts of this people
have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes
and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand
Lest they should understand
with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them.’"
So that I should heal them.’"
It is clearly not the fault
of the Lord
that the "hearers did not hear..."
For He desperately wants
His Word to "get through"
to us...
The Words of the Lord are made
more plain and easy
to those willing to be taught,
and at the same time more difficult
and obscure to those
who are willingly ignorant.
"But blessed are your eyes for they see,
and your ears for they hear;
for assuredly, I say to you
that many prophets
and righteous men desired
to see what you see,
and did not see it,
and to hear what you hear,
and did not hear it."
Matthew 13:16-17
It is my continued prayer...


Hi, Laura~
ReplyDeleteI was just commenting on Josh's latest post, and was telling him about all the beautiful pictures the two of you share. Then I come here and find more beautiful shots! My goodness, you have such spectacular views! I was telling Josh that I have a hard time understanding why people wouldn't want to live there year-round.
What a cute story about your mom. She just sounds so precious!♥
I pray that the Lord will always be able to get through to me. Sometimes it's painful when He has to plow things out of my heart and life, but I know it's necessary in order for me to grow!
I'm sorry you weren't feeling well, and I'm glad you're feeling better. :)
Yes, sometimes those 'funny words' are very funny.:)
Hope you have a wonderful evening.♥
Dear Laura,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the post immensely. We have to be open to Our Lord's voice so that He can 'get through' all the rabble that is our lives.
Mrs. M.
I'm so sorry about your sinus infection. I have suffered through one of those and I know how unpleasant it can be.
ReplyDeleteI was just talking to a work colleague about the ten commandments this afternoon. She was asking me why God didn't include commandments like "thou shalt not bully" or "thou shalt not assault people". I explained to her that God was actually trying to be very explicit in His direction for how we should lead our lives but we keep insisting on cutting corners. I shared with her Matthew 22:39-40, where Jesus distills the entire Old Testament into two basic commandments--love God with all your being and love each other as we love ourselves. I explained that God was trying to get through to us the idea that the ten commandments and the entire Old Testament were simply an expansion on those two principles. He tried to make it simple, and we keep making it very complex.
Your post today reminded me of that conversation!
I once was blind, but now I see....... Amazing grace indeed that opened the eyes of this blind sinner. Thanks for this thoughtful, and thought-provoking, post :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, Laura.
ReplyDeleteWe need to let the Lord's word get through to us and become part of us!
Pretty hard if we're walking around dis-connected :-(
Your mum is a sweetie.
I can see how 3 Warrens could be confusing for anyone lol!
Hope the fog clears away and you have a glorious week in your neck of the woods!
blessings..Trish
Dear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteI am feeling much better, thank you. Seems like this time of the year...when the birch trees start shedding...always seem to fill me up. Perhaps it is due to the fact that we are surrounded by white birch!
My mom is too cute...we laughed forever after the phone call. She said that the lady sounded "way too professional" to be calling Dad! Turns out it was his nutritionist.
I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to type in that "funny" word! Josh keeps telling me that it is a good thing to have...so we keep it on our blogs...but...sometimes...it drives me crazy!
So glad that you and your husband got a day out yesterday! The field trip sounds like fun!
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Maria,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have you stop by and visit! It is so important that we make an effort to let the Words of the Lord get through to us...and then help us to live each and every day of our lives in obedience to Him.
God bless,
Laura
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteIt truly is simple, as you say. "Loving God" and "Loving our Neighbor" sums it all up. There is no room for question, nor doubt. If we base everything we do upon those two commandments...there is no need for "detailed rules." I think that perhaps our biggest downfall is that we don't start here...and that is when we find that we are being disobedient to the Word of God.
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Thank you, Anne, for those beautiful words and for stopping by to visit. Oh, that all of our eyes could be opened...
ReplyDeleteSweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Trish,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by. It is still foggy today...the weatherman says that we may see some sun on Sunday (how appropriate!) Once the sun comes out...things should be growing like mad!
My mom is so cute...we just laughed and laughed over the phone call. My family is huge...and we have lots of "multiple" names...so when we all get together...it can be quite confusing!
Hope you have a fabulous day,
Laura
What a great post. This is something that has been going on with me lately. God has been working on getting through to me. :o)
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila,
ReplyDeleteI, too, have "foggy" days...and need a good dose of the Lord's teaching to get through to me. Sometimes this is hard...there may be a lesson that I need to learn...but it is always fruitful.
God bless,
Laura