Friday, April 15, 2011

Not Just For Your Head...

 I've recently been having some fun
with some vintage pillowcases
that I acquired from our local thrift shop.

Who says that pillowcases
have to be used only on pillows???

I thought that they would be
just about the perfect size
for making market bags!


 Since many of the cases were so pretty...
I decided that I would make them reversible!

And I thought some of you
might want to try this...
So...this is what I did!


 First, I picked out two coordinating 
pillowcases for each market bag.

Then, using my rotary cutter, 
I cut 18 inches up from the bottom.

With the remaining fabric, I cut two 
4 by 22 inch pieces for straps, 
and one piece 3 inches by 10 inches
for the roll-up tab.


 To assemble the straps and roll-up tab,
fold each piece in half (lengthwise),
iron, then fold in half again,
and iron again.


Top stitch along long edges.
Do this on both straps 
and roll-up tab.


 Turn the "bags" inside out,
and draw a thin pencil line
3 inches across all corners.
Sew, and trim to 1/4 inch.


Baste the handles
to the front of one of the bags.
Then place one bag inside the other...
make sure that right sides are together.
Stitch around the top,
make sure to leave an opening
for turning!
Turn right side out
and top stitch...
You're almost done!


 To attach the roll-up tab,
first turn under 1/4 inch
on each end.

Sew on a 1 inch velcro piece,
Then fold tab in half,
and sew to bottom of bag
right in line with bottom seam.
Now...roll 'er up!


 And now that we've seen
that pillowcases aren't
"just for our head..."

We can apply this same
principle to God's Word...

In fact, our Lord Himself
Taught in the scriptures
that having just "head knowledge" itself
would not bring salvation.

We find in John 5: 39-40
that Jesus says that the Pharisees
searched the scriptures
and knew them well, 
believing all the while
that they had eternal life.

But the scriptures clearly pointed to Jesus
and they weren't willing to come to Him.

Their focus was on living out the
commandments of the law...

They were missing the whole point.

It was heart issue,
not a head issue.

They needed to realize
who Christ was and to repent.

And so do we...

Simply memorizing the scriptures
isn't enough...

For God's Word is not
"just for our head..."


"You search the Scriptures 
because you think that in them you have eternal life;
it is these that testify about Me;
 and you are unwilling to come to Me 
so that you may have life."
 John 5:39-40

12 comments:

  1. Laura,

    I think that you are very creative to make lovely market bags out of pillow cases. Shamefully, I'm not very skilled in the sewing department, but hopefully, I will learn to sew some day.

    I also enjoyed your point about getting to know the Lord with our hearts and not just with our heads. This is so true, as God desires a relationship with us. He doesn't simply want us "going through the motions."

    Great post! :)

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lady Rose,

    Thank you so much for stopping by and for leaving such a sweet comment! I do love to sew...and was blessed to be taught at an early age by both my mother and grandmother...such wonderful role models!

    How true it is that we need to oome to the Lord with our "hearts" and not just our "heads." And what amazing peace we find when we do!

    I hope that you have a very blessed weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura,

    Those bags are so cute! You did such a beautiful job on them.

    I use tote bags for everything. I told a friend the other day she could tell how busy I was by how many tote bags I had on my arm...one for each of the many jobs I have between the church and the school. :)

    When I was growing up, I had a bedspread and curtains of the very same pattern that you're using to show how to make them! I recognized that print right away! I just loved all the different colors. It was so cheerful. I think I may still have the curtains! :)

    Yes, head knowledge is not enough. The Word has to work its way into our hearts! We're forever changed when that happens! There is a world of difference between knowing ABOUT God and KNOWING GOD!!

    Katie is at a youth convention this weekend. She left this afternoon and will get back tomorrow night. I sure do miss her!

    I hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very clever idea! I just love your idea, and couldn't help but think that it would make a lovely gift for someone (or even a party favor that all guests could take away with them).

    This reminds me of a beautiful blouse I once made out of a bedsheet. I was actually purchasing a new set, and fell in love with this lovely cotton bedsheet that had an elegant scroll design embroidered into the top edge of the sheet. I bought an extra flat sheet and made a blouse with it, using the embroidered design on the cuffs, button placket and collar. I wore that blouse so much I eventually wore it out and had to throw it away. I have been meaning to do that again!

    Your new blog background is quite pretty. So very appropriate for spring.

    I also loved your scriptural reflection. Your words are so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always Laura, you take the Truth of the Gospel and apply it to our lives...the way Our Lord wants us to see.

    Thank you so much for sharing dear friend :=)

    Mrs. M.

    BTW: the bags are very nice also. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute bags! What an awesome idea...you're very creative. :-)
    Your words are so true....it's not the head knowledge, it's the heart and a relationship with Him.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Anne ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Melanie,

    Good Morning! Thank you for the sweet comment about the bags...what a coincidence that you had the same material years ago! I have really enjoyed making things out of vintage sheets. These totes are soooooo simple! Right now I'm working on a "quilt as you go" quilt using them. Our thrift shop has an abundant supply...and incredible prices to boot!

    Oh, dear, you must be really missing Katie! It must seem quite lonely with her gone. I know I feel that way whenever my "men" are away. Of course, they probably create a lot more noise around here than Katie does at your house! I'll be praying that she had a wonderful experience...and that it brought her and the others so much closer to our Lord.

    Today we are working outside...it is chilly (in the 30s) but very sunny!!! We've got quite a bit of yardwork to do...and I'm anxious to get it done. We've had quite a bit of rain this week...I'm so thankful that today is sunny since my husband is home! We are working on the greenhouse this morning.

    May our hearts be filled with Him as we go about our day today!

    Have a blessed weekend, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Miss Linda,

    Thank you so much for stopping by, my dear, and for your lovely comment. The bags are so simple to make...I was thinking that they would be wonderful in a smaller size as "party favor" bags...made out of kiddie sheet material. What do you think?

    I had to smile at your comment about making the blouse out of a bed sheet. Once, when I was sewing for one of the musicals that my sons were in, there was a young lady who needed a dress for a particular scene. I went home and dug through my linen closet...and found an old sheet that had beautiful roses on it...so I made a quick dress out of it! It worked out splendidly...and I was very thankful to have such a large amount of material so handy for free! It is amazing how beautiful some linens are...I just picked up a king size Laura Ashley sheet for $1.00...I haven't decided what I'll do with it yet...but it is so pretty !

    Thank you also for the lovely comment about my new background. That's where I'm off to this morning...the garden! We have much work to do...but I'm looking forward to it!

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Maria,

    Thank you so much for stopping by...and for your sweet comment about the market bags. They are quite easy to make and can be adapted to many sizes. I really like the fact that I can roll them up...makes for much easier storage!
    Just toss them in the trunk of the car!

    Hope you have a blessed week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Anne,
    So nice to have you stop by...I must admit, I miss your blog! Perhaps you'll start up again sometime soon...I'll look forward to that!
    I'm glad that you liked the totes...they were fun and easy to make. I'm using them as market bags...but they could be used for just about anything. I'm really have a lot of fun searching at the thrift stores for vintage sheets and pillowcases...I got a few this week that are so pretty!

    Hope you and your family have a blessed week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I just LOVE those bags! :o) So cute!!! I have heard it said the farthest distance in the world is from the head to the heart. ;o) And I have lived to find the truth in that. God can live in our head our whole lives but until we invite Him into our hearts to live *in* us we never truly see the beauty of Him and His grace. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Nabila,
    Thanks so much for the sweet comment. Such truth in what you wrote...we can't just have a "head" knowledge of our Lord...there is so much more for us!

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...