Monday, April 11, 2011

All That Glitters...

The last time my sister came
over from Vermont 
was an emergency visit.

My dad was not doing very well
and she came over suddenly
to help out for a few days...

My sister and I are alike
in many ways...
She, too, always has her
hands busy
knitting or crocheting.

On her last visit,
since she left so suddenly,
she just threw her knitting into
a gift bag from her closet.

I wish that I had taken a picture
of that bag...

It was VERY sparkly and silvery...
Not really Nancy's kind of bag
and we kidded her all week about it.

She would pretend to whine...

"Well, if I had a bag like mom's
I wouldn't need to put my knitting in this!"

You see, my mom fell in love
with the denim bag that I made
last month...

And so I gave it to her.


So, while my sister was here this week,
I decided to make a her bag of her own
but I wanted it to remind her
of that "special" knitting" bag
from her previous visit!

 I didn't have any "sparkly silvery" material
but I did have some rather
glittery gold...
that I felt would be just perfect for the lining!


As I worked on this project...
I thought about the saying...

"All that glitters is not gold..."

which stated simply means...

"Do not be deceived by things or 
offers that appear to be attractive."

Isn't this a snazzy lining!
As my machine hummed...  
I started to ponder
all the current excitement 
and controversy over
the "prosperity" gospel.

The prosperity gospel, 
also known as the health and wealth gospel, 
preaches that God wants his people to be prosperous;
spiritually, physically, and, most of all, financially. 

All we have to do is believe it, 
receive it, and act upon God’s promises.

If this is true...
then why is it that so many Christians...

~go to bed hungry?

~or die from cancer?

~or suffer persecution at the hands of others?

Yes, it is true...
that God blesses us abundantly...

But the Bible that I read
tells me... 

"If any man will come after me, 
let him deny himself, 
and take up his cross daily, 
and follow me"
(Luke 9:23)

Jesus calls us not to seek our own happiness
but to seek the glory of God
by giving ourselves to Him
and for others.

The "prosperity" gospel's problem
is that it focuses on
"getting our wants..."

The gospel of the cross
focuses on the
"giving of ourselves."

Perhaps one of the best role models
of the Bible is the apostle Paul...
Who was by no means "prosperous"
by worldly standards...
nor did he ask to be...

But instead...
found glory in his infirmities...

"And lest I should be exalted above measure 
through the abundance of the revelations, 
there was given to me a thorn in the flesh,
the messenger of Satan to buffet me, 
lest I should be exalted above measure.  
 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, 
that it might depart from me.
 And he said unto me, 
My grace is sufficient for thee: 
for my strength is made perfect in weakness. 
Most gladly therefore will I 
rather glory in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, 
in reproaches, in necessities,
in persecutions, 
in distresses for Christ's sake: 
for when I am weak, then am I strong."
2 Corinthians 7-10

Today, on this rainy "April showers" day,
it is my prayer... 

"That the trial of your faith, 
being much more precious
than of gold that perisheth, 
though it be tried with fire, 
might be found unto praise and honour 
and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ..."
I Peter 1:7

"Fun fur" for her hats!

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful bag, but your comments are even better :)

    What a sad 'gospel' (not the Gospel at all) promises earthly riches, when the true Gospel promises that here we will have trials and hardships, but oh, what is to come.... how much better than gold that perisheth. And even in the midst of trials, how much better is the gift of that 'peace that passeth understanding'. Who would swap that for all the tea in China?
    (do you use that phrase in the US?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Laura...what a really neat knitting bag. I am in the process (planning stages) in making one of my own. Now that Mary (from Mary's little corner) got me hooked on knitting, I find myself needing one :-)

    And I totally agree with you...this is not what Our Lord meant at all. We will have trials, and they will include financial woes, sickness and death. It is the way it is. Our job is to just trust and obey...

    As always, I leave filled with His Word!

    Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for your insightful and inspiring words, Laura! I imagine our perspectives need constant adjustment to understand what "gold" for us really looks like! -That "peace that passeth understanding" in the midst of the circumstances of life, glitters w/ a much brighter and more attractive gleam than any earthly treasures, and is much more enduring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just loved the bag and the story behind it. I'm sure your sister will smile every time she picks it up! It is interesting that you discuss the prosperity gospel, since today I kept thinking about how Christ was just a humble carpenter. I wonder if we would have listened to Him if Christ had come in our age and His profession had been a taxi driver or a construction worker or a window washer. God truly does use the simple things of this world to confound the wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post!
    Laura, I heartily agree with your words on the prosperity "gospel".
    The sad thing is..many of God's people persecute or shun fellow believers who do not adhere to the prosperity teachings.
    Your sister's bag is great!
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "peace that passeth all understand"...such a wonderful gift and a blessing. I've often thought that living simply is being "rich"...for you have much less to worry about and fret over...gives you much more time to spend with the Lord. Which is definitely worth more than "all the tea in China!"

    Have a blessed day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Maria,

    So nice to hear that you've started a new hobby! Knitting is such a peaceful craft...something you can do while listening to wonderful hymns or simply praying. Often, if I am making something for someone...I will pray for them while I work on it...a blessing of double portion!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Keri,

    Thank you for your encouraging comment! I often need a readjustment...whenever I start to complain about something not going just the way I think that it should or just the way I had planned...or when I am feeling a might jealous.
    But "refining" is what our Lord does to us...and Praise His Holy Name...I am so glad that He care this much!

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Laura,
    Oh, how sweet that you made a bag for your sister too! It's just as pretty as the first one you made, and I'm sure she was happy to get it. How cute that you thought to put that gold lining in it! :)

    I totally agree with your thoughts about the prosperity gospel.
    They take a few verses and twist them into what they want them to mean. There are many more verses that plainly contradict what they believe.
    I believe that if God would have wanted us to live in 'prosperity', Jesus would have lived that way as an example to us, but Jesus was born in the humblest of places, had a carpenter for a father, and as an adult, didn't even have a place to call home!

    Whether we're wealthy, poor, or somewhere in between, God sees our hearts and knows how dedicated we are to Him.

    Hope you're having a great week.♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Miss Linda,

    Your words ring with so much Truth...Jesus is our best role model...and He didn't even have a home to call his own. We were just discussing the other day as a family (while reading John) how even though those who were with Jesus were able to see the miracles and hear His words firsthand...there were still so many that did not believe the Truth. So it still is today...we have The Word...and yet we are still blind in so many ways.

    Always a blessing to hear from you, my dear,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Trish,

    Thank you for your sweet comment about the bag. I'm sure, knowing my sister, that it will get a lot of use!

    I agree, it is so sad that folks are often looked down upon for not believing this false teaching. How blind we can be sometimes...when the Truth is only pages away!

    Have a wonderful day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Melanie!

    I am so glad that you like the bags...you are always leaving such sweet encouraging comments! They brighten my day. I know that my sister will get a kick out of the "gold lining"...we often play little "jokes" like that on each other!

    What a sad thing that so much time is wasted on the preaching of false gospels. The Truth is so readily available...if only people will take the time to truly study It. But so often, we would rather have someone else do the "work", and just sit back and have them tell us what to think. We have the most amazing example there is in Jesus,and the life He lived while on this earth, why do we need to look any further?

    Hope you and your family are having a great week, my friend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Mom,

    When I think of the prosperity Gospel, I think of Matthew 19:24..."And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." The Jews believed that wealth was a sign of blessing from God. You would never question the salvation of a wealthy individual. When Jesus spoke this, His disciples were shocked (25).

    We might never be wealthy, but if Jesus is our Lord, we are truly rich.

    Love,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel truly "rich" in the blessings of my family, Joshua. What a gift the Lord has given to me...an amazing husband and three incredible sons...all of whom love the Lord and want to follow Him with their lives...what more could a mother ask for?

    Love you so,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post. I've never understood how anyone who knew how Christ lived his life could believe the prosperity gospel, but apparently many do. God does give abundant blessings, but His gifts are more lasting than the ones of this world. You said it beautifully, and I loved the bag you shared and the story that went along with it too :-)
    Thank you so much for your prayers for my nephew Jordan, and for sending him a card too.
    I know that everyone in our family has been greatly encouraged by the outpouring of love and prayers for Jordan.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely bag.
    Sadly your posts are not coming through on my reader, tho I am a follower. I'll keep popping back anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Marcia,

    Thank you so much for stopping by, and for your sweet comments. Please know that we will continue to keep Jordan in our prayers...as well as all his loved ones.

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Elizabeth,

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment and for stopping by to visit! I'm so sorry that you are having trouble with my blog...one thing that you might try is to stop following it and then follow it again. This happened before to someone else and that worked for them. Hope it helps!

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhh...this is something that bothers me so I try to stay away from it. :o) Are we not supposed to be meek in spirit and humble? I never see humbleness associated with the "prosperity" gospel. :o) Once again..a wonderful post! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many "mixed" messages out there, Nabila. That is why we need to keep our focus on Him...and to diligently study His word.
    Great comment!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...