Friday, April 8, 2011

In A Box...

My sister and brother-in-law arrived 
last evening from Vermont
to spend a week with my parents.

They stopped at our home first.
As they came through the door
Don was carrying a big box.


As he set it by the stove,
Nancy said,
"I've cleaned out my craft supplies
and I had a whole box full of things
that I know I won't use
but I think you might like!"

Well, you'd think it was 
my birthday...
I was so excited!

They stayed and visited for a bit...
catching up over warm cookies 
and milk...

I was really glad to see them both,
but I must admit...
I kept thinking...

"I can't wait to see what is
in that box!"

After they headed down to
my parent's house...
I opened it...
and what wonderful
surprises I found inside...
Much better than I 
could have ever imagined!


Craft ribbon for making bows
for Christmas wreaths...


Various embroidery kits, looms,
basket making materials, and hoops...


Crochet cotton for tatting and fine lacework...


Various wooden items for painting,
candle making and glass etching supplies...


And many, many other wonderful
treats!


But perhaps my favorite
discovery was this vintage
"doll world" magazine...

 Complete with paper dolls right inside!

You see, even though I tried to imagine
what wonderful surprises were inside...
I was still totally amazed when I
actually began taking the items
"out of the box"...

For inside, were things
that I'd never dreamed of!

As I sorted through these
items and put them away this morning,
I began to think about the
various ways that we
put God "in a box"
sometimes....

Sometimes, I think,
that we forget the God
whom we serve.

Hebrews 13:8 tells us

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday,
and to day, and for ever."

Why is it that we doubt that

 the God who parted the Red Sea;

and fed over 5000 with a 
few loaves and some fish,

and who brought down
the walls of Jericho
with the sound of a trumpet...

could possibly perform
miracles in our lives today???

Joshua and Samuel came in from
working outside
and I asked them what they thought
about the phrase
"putting God in a box"...

Josh's thoughts were that people
put God "in a box", so to speak,
when they limit Him to just one
part of their lives,

such as Sunday morning for an hour...

Instead of focusing their
whole lives completely on Him.

So today,
as I sort through my new crafts
I am praying about
taking God
"out of the box"
in every aspect of my life...

Imagining no limits...
for the One who
simply spoke the world
into existence.

"He hath made the earth by his power, 
he hath established the world by his wisdom, 
and hath stretched out the heavens 
by his discretion."
Jeremiah 10:12

Remember Shirley Temple?

20 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    What a blessing from your sister!
    I agree totally with you and Josh in this post.
    I think, at times, some do put God in a box, thinking he's not concerned about every aspect of our lives, what we call the little things, but He is! He's concerned about everything about us, just as we are concerned about everything about our children and spouses, only more so, on His part because He is God. We need to walk with Him daily, every minute, and not let our footprints stray away.
    I'm thinking of "Footprints in the Sand" - it's always us who wander off, because we've put Him in a box.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Anne ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living 'out of the box', allowing Him to change us completely. Letting go of all our past glitches or trigger points that still hold so much of ourselves....excellent to share this at this time.

    Thank you and enjoy your 'new' goodies :-)

    Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous box of goodies....O yes I remember Shirley Temple. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Laura~
    Wow, your sister gave you some really nice supplies! You'll be able to make lots of pretty things. :)
    It is easy to try to put God in a box. I think our finite human minds just have a hard time with the supernatural. We know all the Bible stories and miracles, but I think sometimes we need to be reminded that God was the same then as He is now and forever will be.
    I hope you and your family have a great weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful surprise!! I am so happy for you!!! :)

    I have been convicted of late not to limit God by not praying for certain things that I don't THINK he'll do. God will not be boxed!! Praise Him!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Anne,
    I was thinking of that lovely poem "Footprints" as well when I was writing this! How wonderful that the Lord wants to be a part of every aspect of our lives. But He is the perfect Gentleman...He will not intrude unless asked. What peace we find when we welcome Him with open arms!

    By the way, how are your little chicks doing? They are oh so cute at that age...so soft and fluffy! You must be so busy on the farm right now!

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Maria,

    I loved your comment...allowing Him to change us completely. As I mentioned to Anne...our Lord is a Gentleman...He will not butt in where He is not wanted. But if we truly invite Him, He will mold and refine us into His perfect image!

    Have a blessed day, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Trish,

    Don't you just love Shirley Temple! All those curls! When my twins were babies, their hair was a mass of curly blond ringlets...unfortunately wasted on boys! How I hated to cut those the first time! I had such a good time reading through this vintage magazine...and I found some wonderful craft ideas...which I'll probably blog about in the future!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Melanie,

    Your words are so true...our minds are so finite. We must be oh so careful not to look at the amazing miracles of the Bible as simply stories...but realize that these event did occur, and that miracles of this magnitude can and do occur even now! Our God is so great...we must not limit Him in our minds.

    I can't wait to get at some of these crafts...too bad you and Miss Katie live so far away...we could have a massive craft party together! I would certainly have so many choices for you to pick from! There was a "lap loom" in the box...it looks brand new...I've never tried one of these but can't wait to pull it out! I have to finish what I'm working on now first though (I've got several cross stitch embroidery projects in the works!).

    Hope you have a terrific Saturday and a very blessed Sunday!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Karen,

    I think that we are all so guilty of putting limits on our Lord...especially when it comes to our own lives. We pray...Your Will be done...but how often do we really mean it. I, too, have been convicted to "let go and let God" as of late.

    On another note, did I read that your son might attend Liberty? My Daniel is just finishing his master's degree online from Liberty...and is really praying about going down there for his doctorate. He absolutely loved the online program...and it was really affordable! The college has been wonderful...he has made friends with some terrific students and professors. We will be praying for your family as you make this important decision.

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Laura...what a sweet box of treasures...love the vintage paper dolls! So many special items to create from! I love how you share inspiration in each of your writings! Simple Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Teri!

    Aren't those paper dolls just the cutest? There is another set in the magazine as well. I had such a fun time reading through it...and got some wonderful craft ideas! I'll never have time to use all the wonderful treasures in the box that my sister gave me...looks like I'm going to have to come up with a creative way to "share the love!"

    Thank you so much for your encouraging comments as well...you always brighten my day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful box of goodies! No wonder you were excited!

    Thanks for your thoughts on 'boxing God in'. i have to confess that although I *know* God is all-mighty and all-powerful, I act as though He is like us. I pray as though He is small and finite like ourselves.
    Thanks for the reminder, as we enter His day.
    Have a blessed Lord's Day x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful, delightful surprise that must have been to uncover all those treasures!! I suspect your sister was smiling as she packed all those items up for you, imagining how delighted you would be to receive them.

    I remember playing with paper dolls as a little girl. I just *loved* cutting out the costumes and fitting them carefully on the doll.

    I was blessed by your reflection on putting God "in a box". Thank you so much for sharing it! I pray that you and your family will have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Anne,
    Thank you so much for stopping by...I always so enjoy visiting you and seeing your beautiful pictures of Scotland. Much of it reminds me of here in Maine. I, too, am guilty of making God "too small" in my mind...but, praise His Name, He continually works with me to show me His power...and He is so patient.

    Have a blessed week, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Miss Linda,

    It is always a blessing to have you stop by...thank you for your sweet comments. I was just thinking that I, too, can remember cutting out paper dolls as a small child...and sometimes drawing my own...which was even more fun. I wish that I had saved those...I would have loved to have been able to pass them on to a granddaughter someday.

    I hope that your work week will be a blessed one...I'm sure that you are a blessing to all you come in contact with!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful surprise!!! Now you can have all kinds of fun being creative and making all sorts of things....

    Thank you for commenting on my blog! I'm so glad whenever my brother(s) find like-minded young men who are fellow bloggers, as it seems there are not nearly as many of them as there are young Christian lady bloggers for some reason. :( Not that guys can't be encouraged by ladies' blogs, or visa versa, but I think that guys need/enjoy other guys' conversational topics just as we ladies need/enjoy conversations with other ladies.

    Anyway, thanks again for introducing yourself. I'm not very good at keeping up with commenting when Spring and Summer come around, as that is a very busy time of year on the farm, but I do try and read my friends' blogs and keep up with what God is doing in their lives that way, so I'll stop by another time.

    Blessings on your week,
    ~Cora

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Miss Cora Beth,

    Thank you so much for stopping by...I know that Joshua enjoys your brother's blog. As you said, it is so nice that Christian young people have the opportunity to blog with each other...and I would agree, there seems to be less young men than women!

    I really enjoyed reading all about your family's farm! You all seem to be very hard workers...such a testimony to our Lord. I look forward to stopping by again.

    I hope that you and your family have a blessed day!
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amen-Amen-Amen! :o) I totally can appreciate this post. I have a writing about putting God in a box I might have to post it sometime. I would so rather be someone that strives to live my life around God day in and day out instead of *remembering* Him for 2 hrs one day a week. :o) Thank you for another inspiring post my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Nabila,
    I'm afraid we are all guilty at times of putting our Lord "in a box". He does need to be our whole focus...doesn't He!

    Blessings to you,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...