What an amazing blessing it is...
To have the Lord speak to us
and show us areas in our lives
that need examining...
I was washing dishes this morning...
humming as I listened to one
of my most favorite hymns...
"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot,
Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul."
"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot,
Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul."
As I gazed out the window
at the light mist falling on the pond...
I thought...
"Well, at least it isn't snowing..."
And suddenly,
And suddenly,
my heart felt so convicted...
For I realized that for the past few weeks
For I realized that for the past few weeks
I had been grumbling
and complaining about all
the snow we've had this winter.
Wanting spring to be here...
Wanting to see flowers blooming...
Wanting to start my garden.
And the words from that beloved hymn
And the words from that beloved hymn
spoke so clearly to me...
"Whatever my lot,
Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul."
It was then I realized
that despite my singing...
It was not "well with my soul..."
And I felt ashamed.
And then, the Lord
And then, the Lord
showed me this...
Suddenly,
I didn't need the flowers
to be blooming outside...
For on this dreary mist-filled day...
The flowers were blooming inside for me.
Ladies,
please forgive me...
for all the past posts and comments
about "being tired of all this snow"
and "wanting so badly for it to be spring."
For as I gazed at these beautiful
sun-filled blossoms
I was reminded of Philippians 4:11-13"Not that I speak from want,
for I have learned to be content
in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means,
and I also know how to live in prosperity;
in any and every circumstance
I have learned the secret
of being filled
of being filled
and going hungry,
both of having abundance
both of having abundance
and suffering need.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
Despite my circumstances on the outside...
The Lord is "blooming" in my heart
and that should be more
"But godliness with contentment
is great gain..."
I Timothy 6:6



Wonderful post, Laura! I love that hymn too...and it's nice to be able to be pointed to the Lord thru the words of those lovely hymns.
ReplyDeleteHi, Laura,
ReplyDeleteOh, that is one of my most favorite hymns too, and some of my favorite Bible verses!
We each have a different 'lot', and we have to learn to be content, don't we? I know it can be hard sometimes though, especially when things just seem to be going wrong every which way you turn. I'm so thankful we have the Lord to help us through it all!
Your flower is so beautiful...what a pretty shade of yellow!
Have a wonderful evening, my dear friend! ♥
That is one of my favorite songs. I think we've all been guilty of wishing the winter away and wanting spring to hurry up. I know I have. That flower is enough to brighten anyone's day. It's beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis is a convicting post to me, dear Laura. I have been grumbling a bit in my heart about my lot in life (in my case about being unmarried in the middle season of life). I must remind myself that God called me to be content and faithful in (as you wrote above) whatever circumstance in life I find myself. He has His own reasons for all that happens (and doesn't happen) in our lives, and my charge is to accept it and be obedient in all things. If I can learn to do this, it will indeed be well with my soul!
ReplyDeleteAnd I do thank you very sincerely for the sweet comments you leave on my blog! They warm my heart!
That's one of my favorite hymns too, Laura.
ReplyDeleteI think many of us are humanly guilty of wishing for beautiful spring weather. :-)
What's important is being sure all "is well with my soul".
God bless,
We all want flowers and blooms...you need not worry he knows your heart....its all good. Trish
ReplyDeleteHey Mom,
ReplyDeleteDon't put all the blame on yourself. I am just as guilty of complaining about the snow. Last year I had started "spring clean-ups" back in March. This year it looks like I'll be lucky to start by mid-April. Then again, if God didn't create the winter and the bad weather, I don't think I would appreciate the summer as much.
Miss Linda, I hope that I am not being too forward and I hope that I don't embarrass you but when I read your post that you left for my mom, it really spoke to my heart. I cannot say that I can fully relate to your situation, but please know that you are not the only one who has grumbled in their heart regarding this issue. A brother spoke a proverb to me yesterday evening while I was playing volley ball at a local church..."Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." (Proverbs 3:5). It was such an encouragement to me and I hope that it would an encouragement to you as well.
Josh
Dear Keri,
ReplyDeleteIt is such a powerful hymn...so glad that you like it as well! We have a CD by a gentleman named "Whitley Phipps" who has such an amazing voice...his version of this beloved hymn is very stirring.
I'm always so thankful when you stop by for a visit!
Have a blessed week!
Laura
Dear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your encouraging words. It was so amazing how the Lord was speaking to me yesterday...here I was...feeling sorry for myself over a little snow and rain...when others are suffering through earthquakes and tornadoes and tsunamis and such...it was quite humbling, to say the least.
I love how hymns can speak to our hearts...as I told you, after hearing "Give Me Jesus" on your blog...I just couldn't get it off my mind all day...which was such a peaceful feeling!
Have a blessed Tuesday!
Laura
Dear Granny,
ReplyDeleteIt's so nice that you stopped by and left such sweet thoughts for me. My nana used to tell me...never wish time away, child, just be happy with what the Lord has given us today. Such wonderful words to live by!
Hope you and Grampy are having a wonderful day!
Laura
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteYour honesty and openness just touches my heart, dear one. How easy it is for all of us to get caught of in the trap of "wishing for something we do not have"...no matter what it might be. And I do understand the difficulties of godly men and women being patient while they wait for that special "helpmeet" that the Lord has intended for them. So often we want to try to direct this ourselves...as we do in so many areas of our lives. I am praying for you, dearheart, that the Lord will see fit to put a wonderful godly man in your path, if it is His will, but if not, that He will give you peace as to how you are to serve Him. Thank you so much for sharing your heart...
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Anne,
ReplyDeleteI was so very happy to see your comment last evening...as I was afraid that I might never have the opportunity to correspond with you again. I so enjoyed your blog...but totally understand your need for a "break" from it...perhaps it will only be for a season. Anyway, I am very thankful that you are still following others and making comments!
Hope all is "well" on your little farm...you must all be quite busy right now...spring is always a hectic time of year on a farm! We are planning to replastic our little greenhouse this week...the wind did quite a number on it this winter...so that I can get my seedlings moved out to it and get things growing!
Have a blessed week!
Laura
Dear Trish,
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet comment...thank you so much for stopping by to encourage me! Flowers do bring us such joy...what an artist our Lord is!
Hope you are having a wonderful week!
Laura
Dear Josh,
ReplyDeleteHow often we've spoken about, as a family, the importance of submersing ourselves in the Word of God, so that when circumstances are beyond our control, our joy will not be governed by outside happenings. Once again, the Lord shows us how easily it is to "talk", but not so easy to "do". This is where obedience comes into play...if we listen and then act on His Word, we will be filled with peace, despite our cirumstances.
Please know that your father and I continue to pray for you (and other single men and women) daily, that you might seek God's will in finding that special "helpmeet"...in His timing.
Love you so,
Mom
Dear Josh, thank you so very much for your compassionate comment. The Proverb you shared is indeed a comfort and encouragement to me--to know that I must not "lean unto my own understanding", but (reading on to the next verse) acknowledge Him in all my ways and He will direct my paths (Pro. 3:6). How can I possibly go wrong if I follow this excellent advice?
ReplyDeleteThank you for your very kind comment.
Dear Laura,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the comment you left above and the comment you left on my blog. Your compassion and kindness speak of God's own mercies, and I appreciate it so very much. I do want to live a life that is pleasing to Him, in whatever state He sees fit to place me. I do struggle with this issue from time to time but then I remind myself of Paul's words in I Corinthians 7:34 that "there is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband."
I don't think Paul is saying one state is better than another, only that a virgin can indeed focus on things above more than a busy wife and mother. I have certainly found that to be the case in my own life, especially when I observe the many burdens on the wives and mothers in my church family. I do actively seek out ways to be a blessing to the busy wives and mothers in my church family who often need a little help. In that way, I can at least be a blessing to the family of others even if I have no family of my own to serve.
Thank you again for your kind comments. They did warm my heart!!
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteYour words are so true, my dear, and I think that it is wonderful how you are trying to serve the Lord through being a blessing to other wives and mothers in your church family. Stay the course, the Lord has wonderful plans for you!
Sweet blessings,
Laura
I have a few minutes as we travel to Concord...to read and respond to a few blogs...that I have had little time to read lately. Contentment is an interesting thing...it is easy to be content when life is going smoothly, but when it is rather rough it is not as easy.
ReplyDeleteI love the winter...the late spring snows do not bother me...I think they are just a bit of the Lord blessing us with white clean snow to cover the dirty mud of spring. My crocus' popped up through the snow with their purple and yellow blooms -- just a sign that spring is really here...but it is just getting started.
I hope that I can be reminded to be content in the middle of July when the air is hot and sticky and the air condition doesn't work-- and I am wishing to live somewhere cool and dry!!
Laura, those words are beautiful. I felt so blessed reading this post.
ReplyDeleteLaura,
ReplyDeleteThese are some beautiful thoughts! I like the fact that the Lord showed you a little bit of spring right inside your own home! Sometimes when we are waiting for "changes to come," it's difficult to see the forest amongst all the trees.
By the way, don't fret too much about complaining about "all the snow." I'm sure all of us ladies are guilty of doing a little "complaining" on small matters. I know that I am. Fortunately for us, God's grace covers a multitude of sins. :)
You have a lovely place here Dear Laura. I have enjoyed my visit. :)
Blessings,
-Lady Rose
Dear Mandy,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by for a visit...I know that you are usually very busy indeed! Today was a beautiful day here on the coast...sunny with a slight sea breeze. Much of our snow has melted...and there are signs of spring everywhere...starting with all the robins who greeted me in our backyard as I made my way to the chicken coop this morning!
It is amazing how the Lord gives us just what we need...just when we need it!
Have a blessed week,
Laura
Dear Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet comment...thank you so much for stopping by to brighten my day! I'm wondering how different is the weather in France this time of year compared to Maine seacoast weather? We had a lovely day today...sunny with a slight sea breeze...just perfect for outdoor activities!
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Thank you so much for stopping by, Lady Rose, and for your sweet and encouraging comments. How wonderful that our Lord is so gracious...and He is quick to forgive us when we complain or go astray...as we should be with others.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will stop by again soon!
Blessings,
Laura
A lovely post, Laura! It reminded me of a hymn called "Sunshine in My Soul". It starts like this ~ "There is sunshine in my soul today, More glorious and bright Than glows in any earthly sky, For Jesus is my light." No matter what the weather we can have joy in Him. It has been chilly here too so I can relate!
ReplyDeleteSweet blessings to you,
Sharon
Oh Laura...complaining is such a habit, one that I am trying to break with His Help!
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful words, as always dear friend, you painted in my heart today.
To be content, even if it is raining, snowing or sleeting, we have eternal Renewal with Him in our hearts and in our lives.
The plant and the pot holders are beautiful!
Oh Come Spring...but yet, I will love the winter still because it keeps me close to Him!
In His Love,
Mrs. M.
Dear Sharon,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have your drop by...I always enjoy visiting your blog! What a lovely hymn...reminding us that we can have "sunshine" no matter what the weather...or should I say "Sonshine!"
Hope you have a blessed weekend,
Laura
Dear Maria,
ReplyDeleteSo glad to see you back, my friend, and I look forward to visiting your new blog. Complaining is something that the Bible has much to teach us about...it so displeases our Lord...and so we should strive to remove this "bad habit" from our character. I think that it is oh so helpful to have others holding us accountable...reminding us when we begin to "murmur" or "grumble."
Have a blessed weekend, my friend,
Laura
As always Mom you speak to my heart. :o) I needed those verses. I have been convicted now as well for different things going on in my life. Even though I am mostly content in my day to day there are moments that I loose my way and PTL for these verses to support God's wish for us to be content no matter what. I also love - It Is Well With My Soul - it's a song I would sing with my father when I was younger and felt so grown up when I was able to finally sing it with him for special music ;o) *hugs* my dear I have missed you dearly!
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila,
ReplyDelete"It is Well With my Soul" is a hymn that I've sung in many a dark hours...what a comfort to know the Lord is near. I am praying for you, my friend.
~Laura