Having my sister here with me
for a week was such a blessing...
In the midst of dealing with the
uncertainty of my dad's failing health...
It was such a comfort to have her close by.
We share so many interests
We share so many interests
in common...
especially crafting!
especially crafting!
While she was here she
was working on some ladies' hats
for a hospital outreach project.
She knits these hats for cancer patients.
And since we are always exchanging patterns...
She shared this one with me.
It calls for size 13 round needles...
Which I did not have
and wasn't sure that I could purchase locally.
Mom overheard our conversation
about the hats and the needles
and told me she had something for me...
What she gave me
was a vintage set of round knitting needles...
Which have never been used.
She got them 40 some odd
years ago as a gift...
But already had many sizes of round needles
and never needed to use these.
What a treasure!
As I sat waiting for doctors' appointments,
I had fun making these
wild hats!
I even added my own little flair...
the yo-yo and button!
As I knitted round and round in circles...
It felt like our lives had been like this lately...
Searching for ways to help my dad...
Trying to find answers to questions...
And it reminded me of the way
we sometimes
approach coming to the Lord...
Some of us go round and round...
Trying to rationalize...
Trying to disprove...
Trying to say...
"I've got plenty of time for God later"
Trying to clean up our act...
Trying to be "good enough..."
When all He asks of us is
to believe and obey...
Really very simple...
And there's no way a"round" it!
Mom overheard our conversation
about the hats and the needles
and told me she had something for me...
![]() |
| Don't you just love the olive green! |
What she gave me
was a vintage set of round knitting needles...
Which have never been used.
![]() |
| How about that bright yellow fake fur lining! |
She got them 40 some odd
years ago as a gift...
But already had many sizes of round needles
and never needed to use these.
What a treasure!
As I sat waiting for doctors' appointments,
I had fun making these
wild hats!
I even added my own little flair...
the yo-yo and button!
![]() |
| Samuel's comment..."Thing 1 and Thing 2 hats!" |
As I knitted round and round in circles...
It felt like our lives had been like this lately...
Searching for ways to help my dad...
Trying to find answers to questions...
And it reminded me of the way
we sometimes
approach coming to the Lord...
Some of us go round and round...
Trying to rationalize...
Trying to disprove...
Trying to say...
"I've got plenty of time for God later"
Trying to clean up our act...
Trying to be "good enough..."
When all He asks of us is
to believe and obey...
Really very simple...
And there's no way a"round" it!
"Verily, verily, I say unto you,
He that believeth on me hath everlasting life"
John 6:47
"And why call ye me, Lord, Lord,
and do not the things which I say?"
Luke 6:46



How cute! Love the added "things" :o) Glad you have been able to spend time with your sister sorry it's under these circumstances. Been praying for you. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your dad's failing health. I love thos hats. They're beautiful and I'm sure the recipients will be equally enamored with them.
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your words of encouragement. I have so enjoyed spending time with my sister...it seems like we never get to visit very often because she lives so far away. We are very grateful for internet and telephone!
Aren't these hats just the craziest!
Hope you have a wonderful week!
Laura
Dear Granny,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by! I'm so glad that you like the hats...they are a little "wild" for my conservative tastes...but I know that the ladies just love getting them. My sister was working on a green and a purple one when she was here...very stunning!
Have a blessed day,
Laura
What a treasure of a gift! I've never seen a set of needles like that. :-) And cute hats!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice you had time with your sister and I'm
praying for your father.
Blessings,
Anne ♥
Dear Laura...such a blessing for you and your sister to spend special time together! It is so hard to see our parents with health issues...as well as their need to make major changes! It is so nice that you live closeby your dad and mom! My parents lived next door to us and Bill's parents lived only two blocks from us! We miss them so very much...but I look back...we are so thankful that we all lived closeby and have all of those family memories! Such a sweet vintage treasure that your mom gave you! Sweet blessings for your week! Hugs ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteLaura,
ReplyDeleteThe hats are darling! Nice embellishment! Glad you and your sister were able to encourage and work together during this difficult time. Amazing, isn't it, that the Lord is using you to be an encouragement even during your distressful time. Your words are a blessing to me!
Dear Laura~
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you could spend some time with your sister, even if it wasn't under the best of circumstances.
How nice that your mom gave you those knitting needles! They're vintage for sure!
Those little hats are so cute. I really like the yo-yo and button you added.
Still praying for you, dear friend, that God will give you and your precious family all the strength and wisdom you need. Take care.♥
Dear Anne,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by...yes, I too, was surprised by the needles...I had never seen round needles like this before. They are designed to build the specific size you need...which is such a handy feature! I'm sure that I'll get a lot of use out of them.
God bless,
Laura
Dear Teri,
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing that both of your parents lived so close by...and that you have such wonderful memories. We feel equally blessed...I know that it is much harder for some of my brothers and sisters who live so far away. I am so thankful that many of them can take a little time to come up and spend it with my parents...it has meant so much to them.
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Dear Keri,
ReplyDeleteEach and every day I see the Lord's hand in everything around us. Although this season is a confusing one for us...it has helped us prioritize as a family...and has brought my parents many hours of enjoyment as my brothers and sisters come to visit and pitch in to help.
God is so good...and we are so fortunate to belong to Him.
Have a blessed week,
Laura
Thank you so much for your continued prayers, dear Melanie! We are beginning to settle into more of a routine...my parents have totally given up driving...so we make sure that their "travel" needs are taken care (post office, groceries, doctor visits, and such). Still waiting on test results and answers...but we know that God's hand is in this so we are trying to be patient. My parents are hoping their home will sell quickly.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, we got snow last night and yesterday! They actually closed local schools today. This has been the craziest winter I can remember in a long time!
Hope you are all over your sickness and having a wonderful week at school!
Laura
Dear Laura, I am praying for your dad. I walked that path. Through it I learned deeper in my soul that God's grace is without limit!
ReplyDeleteLovingly,
Karen T.
Dear Karen,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by...and for your encouraging comment! God is so good...He is walking this road with us...of that I am certain.
Did you get snow last night and today? Yesterday started out so sunny here...what happened???
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Hi Mrs. Wiley!
ReplyDeleteKnitting is so much fun, isn't it?! It's a wonderful way to serve others while at the same time, having fun doing it! I have to admit, though, that I agree with Sam about the hats! =)
Also wanted y'all to know that we've been praying for your family and dad. Hope all of you are doing well.
It sounds like you and your sister had a great time together. Enjoyed reading your post! So sorry to hear about your dad's failing health...hope everything goes well. ~Karen
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry your dad's health has been failing. I'm going through helping my dad with his failing memory and advanced age, myself. How lovely that your mother was able to give you those needles.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it helpful to have something positive to do to occupy your hands and mind during times of trial?
Dear Miss Lydia,
ReplyDeletePlease thank your family for their prayers...it is good to know that their are friends holding us up at this time.
I agree, knitting is fun! Lately I've been doing more crocheting than knitting, though. And, to be honest, I had the same thought about the hats the first time I saw them as well. Dr. Seuss would be proud!
Have a blessed day,
Mrs. Laura
Dear Karen,
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by for a visit! It is true, out of this trial has come a strengthening of my relationship with my sister.Whereas before we might talk once a week or so, now we are corresponding every day.
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have you stop by! Don't you just love this needle set! I've never seen anything like it in the craft stores...I'm so thankful that mom save it and then gave it to me. I've been looking for more patterns lately so that I can use more of the needles.
Have a blessed day,
Laura
How lovely your work is! And how fun that you were able to receive those round needles from your Mom! Amazing that they are as old as that and still like new! What a blessing those hats will be to others....I'm sure the recipients will enjoy them very much.
ReplyDeleteMany blessings,
Camille
P.S. Thank you for stopping by *my place* the other day Laura...it's lovely to *meet* you! :)
Dear Camille,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you stopped by! I so appreciate your kind comments. I'm sure that these needles will not look "new" for long...I plan to give them lots and lots of use!
Sweet blessings,
Laura