Every so often I clean out
and organize my sewing loft...
I make a promise to myself
to finish all half-done projects
before starting any new ones...
Well...
Usually that works...
But this time
I decided that my little sewing lamp
needed some sprucing up.
So I took a little time
To give it a face lift!
I picked this little light
up at a local yard sale...
![]() |
| I painted mod podge under and over the fabric... |
And...
With just a few fabric scraps,
some mod podge,
a paint brush, some buttons,
and some seam binding...
I had a whole new lamp!
As I was working away at it...
I began humming that good old
Sunday School song...
This little light of mine...
I'm gonna let it shine...
And I started to think about
ways that I might let my "light" shine
more often...
Just a few days ago,
I received a wonderful comment
to a recent post...
from my dear friend, Teri,
over at
She wrote...
Dear Laura...
you and your family are such
a blessing to so many! I love to hear how
you all help one another in times of need.
We all should feel it in our hearts to help those
who have a need. As I read your postings...
they are so heartwarming and share to me
that there are so many who have little needs
as well as bigger needs.I am going to start
in our little neighborhood and try to help in little ways
that I can. I know of one family who
the daddy has been out of work
for over a couple of months and the mommy
is a stay-at-home mom and they have 3 children...
another is an elderly lady who lives alone
and I am sure would love to have someone stop in
to visit and share some homemade goodies...
and as I think about it...there are others with great needs.
This is in a one block area. Wow...
we need to get started right now!
Thank you for the inspiration
and the encouragement that you share.
Sweet Valentine's blessings to you and yours!
Hugs ♥ Teri
It brought tears to my eyes
as Teri shared with me
how she was letting her
"little light shine."
So, Teri, thank you for sharing this...
So, Teri, thank you for sharing this...
And friends...
If you have a moment...
I would love to hear how you
are "shining your light"
wherever you are right now...
There are so many ways
There are so many ways
that we can "shine the light"
of Jesus Christ
Let your light so shine before men,
that they may see your good works,
and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16


Hey Mom,
ReplyDeleteThat was a really nice comment Mrs. Teri made. There are so many ways that we can "shine the light" of our Lord to the world. When I am out mowing (during the summer...not right now!) I always go out of my way to make sure that the job I do is my best, on every single lawn. One time a client asked me what motivated me to work so hard. I told him that I visioned his home as the Lord's home. I shared Colossians 3:23 with my client...
"And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men"
Even the small things that we do for others are noticed. For example, it's funny to see people's facial expressions when I hold the door for them at the Post Office or at the Supermarket. They're shocked that anyone, let alone a young man in our society, would do this for them.
The Lord will receive all the glory when Christ shines in us.
Love,
Josh
Dear Josh,
ReplyDeleteMrs. Teri's comment was so sweet...and such an inspiration to all of us! There are so many ways we can "shine our light"...as you shared, simply holding a door for someone, or perhaps helping them with their groceries, or shoveling a doorstep...the list goes on and on. Sometimes, just listening or spending some time with someone can be one of the greatest ways to share our "light."
Your father and I are so pleased that you and your brothers want to share your "light" with those around you!
Love you so,
Mom
Dear Laura,
ReplyDeleteThis is something that comes only when you allow His light to shine...
My boys are learning this.
Your shade is just lovely! :) Thank you for sharing dear friend,
Maria.
Dear Maria,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by. I know that your life is a witness to your sons...and that they see Jesus when they look at you.
Have a blessed evening, my friend,
Laura
I just love Teri! ;o) Well funny how I was JUST thinking about doing a post about "this little light of mine" just today! ;o) See we "really" are related! :o) I would guess at work would be where I try to let my light shine. :o) Thanks for this post my dear! :o)
ReplyDeleteDear Laura...your words are so kind! Josh is such a lovely young man! How proud you must be to see the kindness and love that he shares to those that he meets. I was thinking...how different our world would be if we all could share a bit of kindness toward others. I have spent time visiting with two of the children that I had mentioned above. They were riding their bikes and I was on the front porch and they stopped by and we chatted for quite sometime. Such precious "little ones"...they both are so sweet and so polite. Just spending time with them...made my day special. Such simple little things that we can say and do can make such a difference in each of our lives. Your families "light shines" for so many! THANK YOU! Your little lamp that you have redone is so nice...also I love the window with the "light" that says WELCOME! Hugs ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila Grace,
ReplyDeleteAs always, it is so nice when you stop by! You have a wonderful opportunity to be a "light" at work...you come in contact with so many different women from all walks of life. What what you've said before, this is your "ministry" field...so, just let your "light" shine on, dear one!
Good Morning Teri,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by, and thank you again for that touching comment you left the other day. I don't think that you realize that in addition to the "light" you are shining around your neighborhood...you also "shine brightly" to all those who come in contact with your blog. Your gentle spirit just radiates in everything you post. It is a blessing to know you, my dear!
Dear Laura~
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful little lamp shade you made! You did a great job!
Teri is so sweet. I just love her and I've never even met her. (I feel the same way about you by the way.♥) :)
I remember that little song from Sunday School too. It was always one of my favorites.
I try to let my light shine at work, and I pray that my blog is a light as well.
Have a blessed day, dear friend.
Dear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by...and for your sweet comment! I, too, love all the wonderful friends I meet through blogging. I am so thankful for the day that I stumbled across your blog...or you stumbled across mine...I can't remember which! Isn't it amazing and wonderful how the Lord puts people together!
Because I once taught in a Christian school, I know first hand how important your "light" is. Often, you are the first person that new people come in contact with. I also know that parents choose Christian schools for many different reasons...and often, those working in this environment do more evangelizing than edifying...simply because of the families that they come in contact with. So, my dear, your "light" is so very important. Also, your role as the wife of a pastor...such an example to the other women in your husband's ministry. And, of course, your blog...where your sweet spirit comes through in everything you share with your readers.
"Shine on," dear friend!
Have a blessed week,
Laura
Hello Laura! I LOVE your lamp! It delights me to see all the hard work you put in your projects. You are so creative! :D I have been blessed by all your wonderful advice, sewing, and craft ideas. I was never a "heavy duty" sewer. Now I think I'm ready to start a quilt! Yes, I'm almost 40 and have NEVER made a quilt. Repairing seams, making curtains, making baby blankets, and skirts...is pretty much all I've done. Now it's time to step out of my comfort zone and try something challenging. Wish me luck. Hehe.
ReplyDeleteWhat Teri said is very true! :)
Dear Angie,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by again for a visit! I'm so glad you liked the lamp...it was fun just using up some of my fabric scraps! I think it is wonderful that you are thinking about a quilt! Just take your time and don't get discouraged...you'll do just fine! You should think about starting a blog so that you could share what you are working on! I know I'd love to see your sewing projects!
Hope you are having a wonderful week...stop by again!
Laura
Hello Mrs. Wiley,
ReplyDeleteYou transformed that lamp into something really beautiful. It's really pretty!!
This song is one of my many favorites!! =) I've come to realize, especially in the last couple years, how very important it is to have our lamps shining brightly. And I've also come to see that when our "lampshades" are darkened by sin and rebellion, the "Light" inside is harder to see. Thank you for encouraging us to keep on shining our lights brightly for the Lord.
Dear Lydia,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by...and for your sweet comment! I had so much fun with the lamp project...you know how you can collect so many fabric scraps from all the things you sew! I tried to keep it in the "sewing motif" by putting seam binding and buttons on it...I have a HUGE collection of buttons!
You are so right in your comments about letting our lights shine. I've noticed that just smiling when I'm out and about can make all the difference in the world for some people whose lives are empty. It always blesses me when I'm at the store and I'll smile at someone and they smile back. Sometimes they will even stop and chat a moment. We never know where we might be planting "seeds" for the Lord!
Hope you and your family are all well and having a blessed week!
Mrs. Laura
Isn't it amazing how happy and blessed we usually feel when we are helping or blessing someone else? =) Just recently my sister and I were blessed to volunteer at a widows retreat, and it was special to see and hear their appreciation for the services (fancy meals, special preaching services, times of sweet fellowship) bestowed freely on them! To God be the glory!
ReplyDeleteOh, how lovely, Miss Amy! I'm sure that you and your sister were such a blessing to these ladies. I know that whenever I try to be a blessing to someone else...I get the blessing back ten-fold! What an incredible God we serve!
DeleteOh, and the lamp you redesigned with the fabric scraps is so creative and pretty!
ReplyDeleteThank you, dear one!
DeleteHugs,
Mrs. Laura