Monday, February 14, 2011

Putting Some "Ease" Into "Freeze!"

This has certainly been quite a winter...
especially for those of us
who have been hit with one
snowstorm after another... 


Today we spent some time
helping an elderly neighbor
who needed to have his propane tank filled...


With all this snow and ice
The big trucks are having difficulty
getting down little dirt roads
and driveways such as ours...


So we sanded his driveway
and cleared a path 
so that the truck could come fill the tank.


In times like these it is so important
to pull together and help each other...

So...

Here are two tips that we
have found will put a little
"ease" in all this "freeze!"

Tip # 1

Because we live in the woods
At least several times a year
we will lose power 
because of downed trees.


In the winter...
I take two empty clean plastic milk jugs,
fill them with water,
and set them in a snowbank to freeze.
 

Whenever we lose power...
I just take one jug and 
place it in the fridge
and the other I put in the freezer...
This helps to keep everything cold...
until the power comes back on!

Tip #2

My husband has to leave very early
each morning for work.
Often times, the windshield of our truck
is covered in ice...

To keep this from happening...
Take a clean empty spray bottle
mix a solution of 3 parts white vinegar
and 1 part water...


Keep it in your car
and spray your vehicle windows each evening.
Do not wipe them...

In the morning...
You won't have any icy build-up!

Hope these two tips come in handy
for some of you this winter...

As I said earlier...
it is so important to help each other
when we can...

Funny how some are led to believe
that when we come to Christ
all of our problems will be gone...

But the Lord never promises this...

"And he said to them all, 
If any man will come after me,
let him deny himself, 
and take up his cross daily, 
and follow me."
Luke 9:23

God does not promise to heal every sickness,
take care of every economic need,
restore every broken relationship,
or ensure that no hardship will ever come our way.

What He does promise us is,
that as His children,
we can triumph through our problems.
Trials in life do not need
to steal our joy and
drive us to despair...

In James 1: 2-3
we read...

 "Consider it all joy, my brethren, 
when you encounter various trials,
 knowing that the testing 
of your faith produces endurance..." 

And just like when we help
our neighbor...

The Lord helps us through
our trials...if we turn to Him.

The problems do not magically "disappear"
Just as the snow did not disappear
simply because we threw down some sand...


But having that "Helping Hand"
certainly makes the traveling
along life's road
a bit easier!

26 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura~
    Thanks for stopping by today...so nice to hear from you. Yes, I just love those old postcards. :)

    Thank you for the 'tips'. Those will come in very handy! I especially like the one about the vinegar on the windshield. :)

    I hope you will have a very Happy Valentine's Day!♥ *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Melanie,
    Happy Valentines Day to you as well, my friend! Don't you just love that vinegar and water idea? Samuel found it in one of his car books...and we are so grateful! We used to have to warm up the car just to get the ice off the windshield...now we can just start her up and go!

    Hope you all have a very blessed week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. But having a helping hand is so wonderfully comforting...it is the same knowing that even though our circumstances have not changed - our reactions to them has...because of Him!

    Thank you for the great tips Laura!

    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful reminder that we need to come to the feet of Jesus daily. What great tips! ;o) I'll had to share them with my mother in RI!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laura...you and your family are such a blessing to so many! I love to hear how you all help one another in times of need. We all should feel it in our hearts to help those who have a need. As I read your postings...they are so heartwarming and share to me that there are so many who have little needs as well as bigger needs. I am going to start in our little neighborhood and try to help in little ways that I can. I know of one family who the daddy has been out of work for over a couple of months and the mommy is a stay-at-home mom and they have 3 children...another is an elderly lady who lives alone and I am sure would love to have someone stop in to visit and share some homemade goodies...and as I think about it...there are others with great needs. This is in a one block area. Wow...we need to get started right now! Thank you for the inspiration and the encouragement that you share. Sweet Valentine's blessings to you and yours! Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a wonderful Valentine's Day filled with love and laughter :) ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Maria,
    Thank you so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments. There is such peace in knowing that He is in control...what is so important for us is to remember this when we are right in the midst of trials and darkness is all around us.

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nabila Grace,

    I love your comment...coming daily to His feet...and asking what He would have us do each and every day. Sort of puts life into perspective, doesn't it!

    Have a very blessed week, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Teri,
    I am so touched by your comment...it brought tears to my eyes. Your ideas for reaching out to your little community...I just know that the Lord is smiling down and will bless this ministry. I hope that you will share some of your experiences with us as you reach out to your neighbors with His love.

    I hope that you and your husband have a very blessed week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Valentines Day to you as well, Alana! Hope it is beginning to warm up in Canada...we actually reached near 40 degrees today...but alas, it is now down to almost zero this evening...never a dull moment!

    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for coming over to my blog! You are such a sweetie! Hope you had a precious Valentines Day. I did. Relaxed........that is nice!

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to hear from you, Linda...and I am so glad that you had a restful Valentines Day.
    I hope that you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely to meet you. *grin*

    What a wonderful way to love thy neighbor! And yes you will be blessed as you already have been indeed. Thank you for all those NEAT tips. I love those kind of frugal tips. I use to host Tightwad Tuesdays on my old blog. I love love love tips that make life easier and that are frugal. *grin*

    Blessings in Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Mary,
    Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit! It is always so much fun to meet someone new. It sounds as though we have much in common...I, too, love tips about ways to save money and make life simpler and easier.

    Hope you'll stop by again!
    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the tip for keeping ice off the car window thanks I hate scraping it off in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura...we have the same problem..downed trees. We have jugs of water in the deep freezer for the same reason. Not enough snow to freeze anything in around our house. Love your thoughts at the end. Great reminders. Sounds like a devotional post I wrote the other day. The Lord is good to help us stay focused on Him. :o)

    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think vinegar is wonderful. We use it for so many different things about the house. Just a few days ago I was having Deborah wash the inside windows of the living room and she was having a problem with them icing a bit on one side of the house...so I told her to just put a bit of vinegar in and she would have no problem at all. We also wash off the van or the car in the driveway with a bit of vinegar in the water so it won't freeze on the car -- it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Cindy,
    Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm so glad that you found the tip useful...I don't like having to scrape windows either!

    Hope you have a blessed week...stop by again!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Morning Donna,

    What a great idea for those of us who don't live where the temps get below freezing, or for all of us in the summertime, for that matter. We can lose power during anytime of the year!

    Thank you for your comments about staying focused on the Lord...I plan to stop by and check out your devotional!

    Have a blessed week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Morning Mandy!

    So nice to have you stop by for a visit! Don't you just love vinegar! I use it for so many things...especially cleaning. I make quite a few homemade cleaning solutions with it. And, as you said, it is so wonderful for keeping ice off of windows.

    Hope you are all staying warm in snowy NH! Tomorrow promises to be up in the 40s here...with rain expected. Perhaps we'll lose some of our snowbanks!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Laura! I just left Sarah's blog. I had a friend who was disappointed about not winning her CUTE lil doll. She is still happy for Becky.

    Thanks for your "winter survival" tips. There are folks who are actually wearing shorts down here. Well it's still winter and I'm I bit old fashioned so I won't be unpacking my spring clothes just yet. Winter weather is very tricky on this end of NC. It could be in the 60's this week...and frost on the ground next week. It is considered a blizzard for us, if we get 6inches! Hehe. Well, I hope you all have plenty of wood. We heard winter is very LONG up there. Stay warm and take care! :)

    Angie,

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Angie,

    Thanks so much for stopping by! We actually had a "warm" day today...sunny and in the 40s! Some of our snow actually melted...I think spring might be on its way! My hens will be happy...they would really like to get outside and run around the yard.

    I'm very happy for Becky. Sarah's dolls are really adorable. I hope that she has a lot of success selling them on her new etsy shop!

    Again, thanks for visiting...hope you have a blessed week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Laura,

    What a lovely post. Although we have lovely neighbour I would like to have you next door as a neighbour. We live in south east coast of Australia and we are in summer at present but today is cooler which is great when you're doing housework.

    Blessings
    Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Gail,
    Thank you so much for stopping by and for the sweet comment! I am so looking forward to spring...I've already started to plan my garden for this summer. We still have quite a bit of snow, though, so I think it will be a while yet!

    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Laura ~ Thank you for the wonderful tips. I love using vinegar but we have not tried this one before ~ I am going to share it with my husband! So many ways that the Lord brings across our paths to share His love ~ it is an encouragement to see how you are taking advantage of them! A blessing indeed!

    Have a lovely day!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Sharon,

    Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit! Isn't vinegar wonderful! I got one of those floor mops that sprays from my mom...but the cleaner was really expensive. I found a wonderful recipe online using vinegar. Now I make my own cleaner...and it is so wonderful for those quick "touch up" jobs in the kitchen and bath!

    Hope you are having a blessed week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...