I really enjoy hanging clothes on the line
all year long...
Not only because of the money it saves,
but also because they smell so fresh!
Not only because of the money it saves,
but also because they smell so fresh!
Most days,
even in winter,
I will hang out my laundry for a few hours...
Then just toss them in the dryer
for 5 minutes to get the
"freeze-dried" effect out of them.
| Look! It stands on its own! |
Unfortunately,
most of the days for the past
month or so have been stormy...
not the best "clothesline" days.
I do have a little wooden clothesrack
that I set up by the woodstove...
But it just doesn't hold very much.
I also have a pole above
the washer and dryer
where I can hang dresses and shirts
but, this morning, I was wishing
for something more...
Samuel was sitting at the table
working on his grammar assignment
and as I was folding some laundry...
I voiced my wish.
"I could make you an inside clothesline,"
he remarked.
"You could?" I asked.
"Out of what?"
"Remember our puppet theatre?
I could use the pvc pipe and fittings
from that...
along with some clothesline rope.
It would be easy to take apart
and store when you didn't need it."
Several years ago,
My husband and sons
made a puppet theatre for our local VBS.
I made the puppets and the curtains...
and my sons were the puppeteers.
Along with the box that contained
the black curtains, puppets,
and props.
Although it was a great idea...
I didn't want to ruin the pipes
by cutting them...
Just in case we were called upon
to do the puppet theatre again
sometime in the future!
"I won't need to cut them,"
Samuel said.
"I'll use them just the way
they are."
About a half hour later...
I had an indoor clothesline!
It measures 3 feet by 6 feet
and is 4 feet tall!
It measures 3 feet by 6 feet
and is 4 feet tall!
![]() | |
| Some pipes are painted black so they wouldn't show... |
What a blessing to be able to "hang out"
clothes in front of the wood stove!
Remember when the term "hang out"
used to be really popular?
It meant to spend time with your friends...
When you "hang out" with someone
for any length of time...
You really get to know them well.
Sort of like the disciples did with our Lord
Some two thousand years ago...
They went where He went...
They ate what He ate...
They heard what He had to say...
They got to know Him.
Even thought two thousand years
Even thought two thousand years
have gone by...
We can still spend time
with our Lord today...
through His Word and through prayer.
But in order to get to know Him well...
But in order to get to know Him well...
we must make it a point
to take the time necessary
to truly get to know Him.
Not just a few minutes here or there...
to take the time necessary
to truly get to know Him.
Not just a few minutes here or there...
Having our Bibles just
"hanging out" on a bookshelf
or coffee table
won't do it...
Just like clothes in a basket
sitting under the clothesline
won't get them dry...
We need to let the "Son" shine down on them...
“The next day again John was standing
with two of his disciples,
and he looked at Jesus as he walked by and said,
"Behold, the Lamb of God!"
The two disciples heard him say this,
and they followed Jesus.
Jesus turned and saw them following
and said to them, "What are you seeking?"
And they said to him, "Rabbi" (which means Teacher),
"where are you staying?"
He said to them, "Come and you will see."
So they came and saw where he was staying,
and they stayed with him that day…”
John 1: 35-39 
Laura...this is wonderful! There are times that I feel a bit guilty using the dryer...but Our Lord has shown me that He provided for the dryer and He has provided for the electricity its taken to use it. When spring comes, I am so looking forward to hanging my clothes out on the line...
ReplyDeleteI have used wooden drying racks, but with space being so at a premium here in the cottage, my husband feels as if there is really no place to walk when they are open. So the dryer it is :)
Thank you for sharing...Maria.
Dear Maria,
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by! I do so love to hang clothes outdoors as well...this just hasn't been the winter for it! We got another 4 inches of snow today. The snow is amazingly beautiful though, it just sparkles!
Have a blessed evening,
Laura
Hi, Laura~
ReplyDeleteWhat a great setup you have there! How nice of Samuel to think of it. :)
I hang out our laundry in the summer. The weather's nice, and I don't have to work in the summer, so I have the extra time. I just love the scent of the clothes when they come off the line.
Yes, we have to spend time in prayer and in God's Word to really know Him. Just having a Bible doesn't do any good. We have to read it and obey it! :)
I hope you're having a good day. We were out of work/school today because of the snow, so I've had a nice day off. Take care.♥
Hello Melanie!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to for you to have a "snow" day! We got about 4 more inches today...what a winter! You must get quite busy being the secretary of your school...how many students attend? I am very familiar with the ACE pace program...I know quite a few people who use it and have heard some very nice reviews about it.
Yes, I am really thrilled with my new "clothesline". I like how easy it is to take down...the legs come off and we can just store it in the basement until I want to use it again! Of course, I'm hoping for some sunny days...I much prefer the outdoor drying!
Have a blessed evening!
Laura
Hi again, Laura~
ReplyDeleteWe have 22 students right now. Six of them are in first grade using A Beka, the rest are in grades 3-12 using the ACE paces. Yes, it works very well for us. The 16 students in paces are all in one room, so it's like an old-fashioned one room schoolhouse. :)
I'm sure you prefer outdoor drying, but for those days you can't, your new 'clothesline' will be a big help!
Isn't it wonderful how the little everyday blessings seem to bring the most happiness in life? :)
Dear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteOh, I could talk all day about school! When I taught in the local Christian school, we used A Beka as well. What a nice size school you have...do you live in a fairly small town? My husband and I have often talked about putting up a one room log cabin schoolhouse in the woods...a "homeschool" school. I have had several people ask me about homeschooling their children. Maybe someday, Lord willing!
My son, Daniel, is getting his master's of Divinity from Liberty U. online...that must be pretty close to you. He has taught in our local Christian high school (physical education and english) but hopes to eventually get his doctorate and teach Bible at the college level.
Best wishes with your students!
Laura
Dear Laura,
ReplyDeleteOur town is pretty small. Some of our students come from the town next to us. Yes, we like the size of the school. :)
What a wonderful thing it would be to have a "home school" school. If it's the Lord will, I'm sure it will all work out beautifully!
Liberty U. is about 3 hours away from us. It's a very popular college here in Virginia. :)
I saw your comment on my friend Bo's blog, so wanted to come say hi. You have a pretty blog. I remember hanging clothes outside when I was a girl. I had a pull out one in our previous house, where clothes lines were not allowed. I had to quit hanging clothes outside when my husband and daughter developed allergies.
ReplyDeleteHow cool that your son had the idea to make the clothesline for you out of things you already had!
I like what you said about spending time with God through the Word. It's something I've struggled with, and have gotten back into in the last couple of weeks.
Good Morning Sue!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by for a visit! It's always so nice to meet new people.
I can appreciate your comment about struggling with time spent well. This world seems to require so much of our time...we have to be so careful to set our priorities on the things that really matter. I'm so glad that you've made a commitment to get back into the Word of God...I will be praying for you!
Have a blessed day!
Laura
What a great idea of Samuel’s! Ingenuity must run in your family. :) I am sure you are enjoying being able to dry your clothes on your indoor ‘clothesline'! It was a sunny and warm day here (in the 40’s!) so I was able to hang out a couple of loads of laundry on the line this morning . . . and speaking of which, I think it’s about time to be bringing them in now!
ReplyDeleteOnce again, I appreciated the thoughts that you shared here . . . yes indeed, how vitally important it is for us to spend time with the Lord learning and growing through His word. While I read what you shared, Psalm 119 came to mind . . . it is full of such longing and desire by the Psalmist after the Lord and His Word. And not only to read, study and meditate upon it, but to put it into practice and to walk in obedience to it. What a wonderful thing it is to be able to actually have God’s word and instruction to us that we can read and learn from it and come to know Him more and more through it!
Thank you for your sweet comment, Miss Sarah. Samuel certainly has been blessed with a mechanical mind. He is forever dreaming up new things to build. We are also so blessed because he fixes so many things around here!
ReplyDeleteI, too, enjoy Psalm 119 for many of the reasons you stated. It clearly demonstrates that God's word should be the standard of our faith, and the law of our practice. We are most happy when we simply believe God's testimonies, and depend on his promises. I especially enjoy verse 63, "I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts..." because it gives us instruction about the kind of friends we should have...so helpful in the world today!
Have a blessed weekend!
How wonderful! ;o) Love the creativity of your son! ;o) I would love to come and "hang out" with you ;o)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you stopped by, Nabila, and yes, I would love to just "hang out" with you, too!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed weekend!
Laura
Awww I loved this post.........what a precious young man. Reading this post just made my heart smile. What a blessing!
ReplyDeleteThank you for coming over to my blog and leaving me a comment. I have been collecting the eggs faster and giving them the oyster shells. They are not eating them anymore. Yea!!!!! It makes me happy to be able to have every egg!
Have a wonderful day! You made it a little more special for me after visiting you!
Hugs, Linda
Good Morning Linda!
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so happy that you've solved your "chicken" problem! We've found that crushed clams shells really help our chickens...and we sure have a lot of shells!
I'm so glad that you stopped by and thank you for the sweet comment about Samuel. We do feel so blessed with our sons...as I'm sure you do with your children...God is so good.
Have a blessed and restful weekend,
Laura
What a wonderful post, dear Laura. How very true that we need to focus on developing our relationship with God just as we focus on developing our relationships with our families. Giving just a few moments of time here and there will not give us the deep connection to our Creator that we truly need.
ReplyDeleteYour son's ingenuity and thoughtfulness are truly wonderful.
Good Morning Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by and for your sweet comment. It is so true...our Saviour deserves all of our attention...not just a part of it.
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Laura, Wonderful post as usual. I love the tie-in to Scripture that you have a great way of weaving in to your posts. It is so encouraging to always remember that in everything we are to acknowledge the Lord. :)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Christine
Hello again, Christine!
ReplyDeleteI'm always so glad when you stop by for a visit.
Your comment is so true...acknowledging Him in everything we do...keeps us attuned to His voice and listening for His direction.
Have a wonderful week!
Laura