In our home,
Mom's chocolate chip cookies rule...
But, yesterday,
I tried a new recipe
that just might come in a close second
As the family favorite...
![]() |
| This is an old Amish recipe... |
Orange Frosted Cookies!
Ingredients:
2/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
2 T. grate orange rind
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Cookies:
Mis together shortening, sugar, and egg. Stir in orange juice and rind. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix well.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. Cool and then frost.
Orange Butter Frosting:
2 1/2 T. butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 T. orange juice
Blend together the softened butter and powdered sugar. Stir in orange juice and blend until smooth. When cookies are cooled, frost with a swirl of frosting on top.
Funny how obsessed our world is
with being the favorite
or, in more popular terms,
"number one"...
We read of this in the Gospel of Mark...
James and John wanted to sit on either
We read of this in the Gospel of Mark...
James and John wanted to sit on either
side of Jesus.
They wanted to be first...
to be the favorite...
But the Lord quickly tells them (and us)
that although this is the way of the world
this is not the way of the Father
and therefore, should not be our way...
They wanted to be first...
to be the favorite...
But the Lord quickly tells them (and us)
that although this is the way of the world
this is not the way of the Father
and therefore, should not be our way...
"But it is not this way among you,
but whoever wishes to become great among you

Now THAT looks like a recipe I may have to try very soon!! Thank you so very much for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteYou know what amuses me about the story of the Sons of Thunder is that in Matthew's account of this incident, he notes that these Sons of Thunder sent their mother to ask Jesus for them! (see Matthew 20:20-23) Interesting how mothers have been promoting the interests of their sons since time immemorial!
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteGood Morning!We were just speaking of this same passage at dinnertime last night...but in a little different light. Because in Mark the mother is not mentioned, and in Matthew the mother is mentioned, some have used this, as well as many other scriptures, to try and discredit the Bible. But we all know that when two different people share an event, they never tell it in exactly the same way. Each person shares the parts that "stuck out" in his mind, or shares the points that help to get his message across. Thanks for pointing that out!
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Mmm . . . this is a delicious sounding recipe, Mrs. Laura! And if the cookies taste as good as they look, I now they will be delicious. :) Thank you for sharing the recipe!
ReplyDeleteThank you also for sharing the verse at the end of this post . . . what a good reminder of what our hearts should be. Not seeking to be served, but to be a servant to others. To follow in our Savior's footsteps who "came not to be served, but to serve . . . . May that be our heart as well!
By the way, I like your new blog background. :) It's very nice!
Good Morning Miss Sarah!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you like my new background...I like the old fashioned look to it. It sort of reminded me of a wallpaper that my nana had in her home when I was little.
The verse about being a servant is a favorite of mine as well. Taking our thoughts off of ourselves...and placing them totally on the Lord...will only encourage us to want to serve Him and others in everything that we do.
There are only 4 cookies left from Saturday...I think I'll make some chocolate chip today and see if they go as quickly!
Have a lovely day!
Good morning, Laura~
ReplyDeleteThose cookies look delicious! I will have to try them. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite too! :)
Thank you for sharing that Scripture as well. It's a very good reminder in this world that tells us to 'look out for number one'. It also reminds me of the verse that says we need to esteem others better than ourselves.
I hope you have a wonderful week!♥
These look wonderful! My husband loves orange anything so I will be trying these this week! YUM!
ReplyDeleteI adore this background! Looked at it myself a while back an copied it! But alas its one of many to choose from. Have a wonderful week.
Laura, triple yummy! Is there a substitute that I could use for the shortening? Would butter do the trick? I just don't buy shortening any more (health reasons). But I would *almost* buy it to make these!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Christine
Hello Melanie!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have you stop by...and I agree, chocolate chip are definitely the best! But I hope that you'll enjoy this recipe as well...my family certainly did...there are only 4 left from the batch the other day!
How sad that we are bombarded by the media to always "look out for number one." How difficult it is for the younger generation, especially if they have not been grounded in the things of the Lord...definitely a constant item of prayer!
Have a blessed week!
Laura
Dear Tina,
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by again...and I hope that your husband enjoys these cookies! They have just a "hint" of orange to them...my guys surely thought they were yummy!
I'm glad you like the background...it reminded me of my nana's wallpaper many years ago. I really love anything old fashioned.
Hope you have a wonderful week as well!
Laura
Thanks for stopping by, Christine! I think that you could use just butter...they are very much like a sugar cookie. This was an old amish recipe...and I don't think that they were all too concerned about fats and carbs and such. The next time I make them, I am going to experiment with just butter...which is what I usually use in my cookies.
ReplyDeleteHope you and yours have a wonderful week!
Laura
Sounds like a yummy recipe! ;o) I think that I will stick with the original cookies too ;o) I think though I would much rather be the last and be behind the scenes then the first and number one. :o) There seems to be more security in waiting and serving then pushing forward and being in front. :o)
ReplyDeleteI've missed you, Nabila! Hope all is well with you and your family. Aha! Another chocolate chip cookie fan...perhaps we should start a club! Nothing beats a warm CC cookie on a cold wintery day...we are expecting over a foot today!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed day,
Laura