Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A "Field" Of Flowers...

It seems almost silly
Writing about a field of flowers
When there is near to a foot of snow
On the ground outside...
But this isn't an outside field...

Last summer,
my mom was working on a project,
a gift,
for my niece and her husband to be...

And she asked if I had any little
leftover balls of yarn,
The kind that I use in my
 
 










Seems like I'm always working on a rainbow afghan!
The gift was a different sort of afghan.
Made out of a type of "granny squares".
Each square with its own 
bright flower in the center.
As the weeks passed,
I continued to admire it
whenever I stopped by for a visit.

Just last week...
What a surprise!
I received a "field" of my own!
My mom is so sweet...


I love how this afghan is
so bright and cheery...


And I love how the flowers
are "raised" up
from the field of green!



Mom found the pattern
in one of her "Country Woman" magazines.
A subscription gift from my sister,
Mom always enjoys the craft section
and often tries out many of the ideas!

How wonderful it is...
On a cold wintry Maine evening
To be wrapped up
in a "field of flowers"...
With a hot cup of tea...
And a good Book.


But what is even more wonderful still,
Is to be wrapped up
In the arms of a loving and 
comforting Saviour.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
         Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
    I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress,
         My God, in whom I trust!" 
Psalm 91:1-2

18 comments:

  1. Oh Laura...that is just so beautiful! Oh, all those flowers ~ just precious.

    In His Love,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maria,
    Thank you for your sweet comment...and I agree, Mom did a beautiful job! She is always making such special things for me...I am truly blessed!

    Have a wonderful day, dear friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty afghan! My mom crochets afghans as well, and I have been the recipient of a number of them. What a lovely thought, to be wrapped in the arms of the Lord. :)

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Christine,
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment. Don't you just love having homemade items from your mom? Treasures of love...

    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Alana,
    So nice to have you stop by! Thank you for the sweet comment...I agree, mom did a beautiful job. She is just so talented...I am very blessed, indeed.

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. The afghan is beautiful, Mrs. Laura! So bright and cheery, and I am sure it is cozy, too. :) What a sweet and very thoughtful gift from your Mom . . . what a treasure. It’s always nice to have homemade items, but when it is a gift made with love especially for you, it makes it so very special.

    What a comforting thought to be wrapped in the arms of our Savior! The verse that you shared at the end of this post is one that I have memorized in song, and in difficult times it has often come to mind and it is always such a reassurance and comfort.

    May you have a blessed evening, and enjoy your afghan on what I am assuming is a cold, snowy evening up in Maine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Miss Sarah,
    So nice to have you stop by...and thank you for the lovely comment. My mom has made so many special things for all of us...her hands are always busy creating...I feel so blessed to be her daughter.

    I'm so glad to hear that you turn to this scripture as well in difficult times. How comforting the words of our Lord are...there is such healing and strength in them.

    We are expecting another "big" storm this weekend...although sometimes I think the forecasters just like to stir up a little excitement. Anyway, we are prepared...which is always a comfort.

    May you have a blessed evening as well.
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! ;o) How much fun is that! So beautiful! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Nabila Grace!
    I agree...it is a fun afghan...so cheery and bright...just like my mom!

    Have a wonderful day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Laura,
    I love the afghan. My girls are crocheting one. I love the bright cheerful colors. Reminds me of spring.
    I just received my book.".Keys to the Deeper Life." I am eager to jump in and journal my way through.
    I have closed my blog for a season. We all have the flu and I am trying to journal my prayers daily. This discipline takes time.. I do enjoy reading your blog and Maria's words of wisdom. It is encouraging to me and helps me to grow in the Lord...
    God bless you.
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Virginia, we will miss you! But I totally understand...sometimes there is a need to lay things aside for a season...and sometimes forever...you will be in my prayers, dear friend.

    May God continue to richly bless you and your family,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laura! This is my 1st time commenting. I found your blog while visiting Sarah's blog. :)

    What a LOVELY afghan!! I can't stop looking at it, because it is so truly extraordinary! How can you take your eyes off it? How long did it take your mom to complete it? Who taught her this wonderful skill? I assume she taught you as well.

    What a wonderful blessing to get...from another blessing. I even feel so blessed to witness such patience and talent, because I know this project took "patience". This is truly a reminder to me that good things come from having patience. I've been lacking that lately. After seeing that beautiful afghan...I know how important patience is. Might sound a little silly, but that's just what I'm feeling right now.

    Sorry for the rambling. Enjoy your wonderful, cozy gift!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Angie,
    Oh, I'm ever so glad that you stopped by to visit. I so enjoy reading Miss Sarah's blog...she is a remarkable young lady!

    Thank you so much for the sweet comments! My mother is so talented...she makes the most wonderful things for all of us...my favorite, of course, is my wedding dress that she made with love for me many years ago. She has taught me so many things...and right now we are learning a new skill together...tatting! We've taken many books out of the library and we are attempting to "teach" each other! We've had several afternoons full of laughter as we try and figure out the directions...but we, too, are trying to have patience...and hope that we'll catch on to this new craft quickly!

    Again, thank you for stopping by. Hope you come by again!

    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. How truly lovely!! You can enjoy a bit of summer in the midst of a cold winter evening, warmed even more by the thought that loving hands made every stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a wonderful mother who is very talented. I really love your new field of flowers! I can see all the love in it from here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Morning Miss Linda,
    Thank you so much for your sweet comment. It is such a cheery afghan, and surprising, very warm because it is made with close thick stitches.

    Have a lovely day,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Antmee,
    My mom is such a blessing to all of us here. We feel so privileged to have her living right down the road from us...and my dad as well!

    Have a blessed day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...