A bright sunny wintry Friday
A perfect day for
heading out to the beach!
decided that they would dig
several hods of clams
at low tide today...
And they graciously invited me
to tag along!
Since the low tide would
come at lunch time
We decided to snack on
some warm blueberry muffins and tea
before heading out into the
As always, I layered up
In case the wind was biting...
And put on an extra pair of socks
to keep my toes warm!
![]() |
| Don't you just love these socks! They are made from a single ball of yarn... As you knit, the pattern forms! |
Now, for those of you,
who have never been asked to
"tag along" with a clammer,
"tag along" with a clammer,
It's best to take something
to keep yourself busy,
because once a clammer
starts digging he doesn't stop...
starts digging he doesn't stop...
until the tide comes in!
I, of course,
took along one of my
"idle mind" bags!
At first, the digging was slow...
to dig just a little deeper
since the clams had burrowed down
into the mud...
Finally, they found a "sweet spot"...
I kept myself busy...
taking pictures...
![]() |
| Clams that are smaller than 2 inches must be left behind... A clammer keeps a two inch brass ring on his hod to check. |
And knitting...
and reading.
Of course, I believe that
it was no coincidence...
That while my husband and son
remarked on how they had
to dig deeper this tide...
I had just happened to
bring along
Keys To The Deeper Life
by A. W. Tozer
In Tozer's chapter entitled
"Panting After God,"
he writes...
"To speak of the "deeper life"
is not to speak of anything deeper
than simple New Testament religion.
Rather it is to insist that believers
explore the depth of the Christian evangel
for those riches it surely contains but which
explore the depth of the Christian evangel
for those riches it surely contains but which
we are as surely missing.
The "deeper life" is deeper only because
the average Christian life is tragically shallow.
The "deeper life" is deeper only because
the average Christian life is tragically shallow.
They who advocate the deeper life
today might compare unfavorably
with almost any of the Christians
that surrounded Paul or Peter in early times.
While they may not as yet have
made much progress, their faces are toward
the light and they are beckoning us on.
that surrounded Paul or Peter in early times.
While they may not as yet have
made much progress, their faces are toward
the light and they are beckoning us on.
It is hard to see how we can
justify our refusal to heed their call.
What the deeper life advocates are
telling us is that we should press
justify our refusal to heed their call.
What the deeper life advocates are
telling us is that we should press
on to enjoy in personal inward experience
the exalted privileges that are ours in Christ Jesus;
that we should insist upon tasting the sweetness of
internal worship in spirit as well as in truth;
the exalted privileges that are ours in Christ Jesus;
that we should insist upon tasting the sweetness of
internal worship in spirit as well as in truth;
that to reach this ideal we should if
necessary push beyond our contented brethren
and bring upon ourselves whatever
opposition may follow as a result."
necessary push beyond our contented brethren
and bring upon ourselves whatever
opposition may follow as a result."
How sad to think,
That if Paul were alive today,
He would look at our walk as Christians
and find it tragically shallow.
Perhaps it is time for us, as the church,
To dig a little deeper into the Scriptures...
And to examine our walk in light of God's word.
As the sun began to sink lower
and the tide started creeping in...
It was finally time to call it a day.
Time to wash up
in the cove...
the clams to market...
Today, these clams are headed
for someone else's table...
But perhaps tomorrow...
I can convince them to bring home
just a few for chowder!




















To dig a little deeper...to see where Our Lord guides this journey. To be totally in HIM!
ReplyDeleteThe clams look just perfect! What a blessed spot you live in dear one :)
love,
Maria.
Good Morning, Maria!
ReplyDeleteYes, we do feel blessed to live on the coast...the beauty...as well as the provisions...is truly something from our Lord that we try to not take for granted. Thank you so much for your convicting thoughts...our focus should be not on ourselves...but totally on Him.
Have a blessed day, my friend,
Laura
This was an interesting (and also very educational :) post, Mrs. Laura! I hadn’t known anything about clamming before, and now I do. :) It looks like it would be tiring work, but the rewards would be worth it, plus there would be the blessing of spending time together as well!
ReplyDeleteI can just imagine how enjoyable your time would have been sitting out in the warm sunshine in such a beautiful place as you worked on your knitting and reading. It sounds so pleasant!
After reading all of the quotes that you have shared from this book by Tozer, it really makes me want to read it! The quotes have all had such deep truth to them and are so convicting. And how important it is for us to ‘dig deep’ into Scripture (as my Dad so often says) . . . not just skimming the surface, but digging down and finding the ‘hidden treasures’ that are underneath the surface.
Thank you for sharing about your day, and I hope you have a wonderful evening!
Dear Laura,
ReplyDeleteI LOVED this post. The coast of Maine is so beautiful. Your words were so beautiful.. I love the quotes for Tozer. How I long to dig deeper into the insights of God. I pray, study and meditate and journal but I too feel I just skim the surface with my quiet times. I do dig and will keep digging for HIS Truths to enlighten my way.
Thank you so much for sharing and have a Blessed New Year..
In His Love,
Virginia
What a wonderful day! I had to read over the quotes that you shared. They grabbed me so much that I had to keep reading it over and over! That is how the word of God should be like...keeping reading it again and again because it grabs up and causes our hearts to stir therefor digging a little deeper! Thank you for sharing this my dear! You have blessed me abundantly! ;o)
ReplyDeleteHello Laura,
ReplyDeleteOne more thought. Your socks are so cute. When we were in Vermont last Xmas my girls learned to knit. I tried to look in your etsy shop and could not access. Could be my computer we have major security settings and blocks on it.
Your muffins looked yummy. You are a woman I admire.. I just know your husband and sons are so blessed by you..
Love,
Virginia
Good Morning, Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that I could give you all "glimpse" into life in our little fishing village. You are so right, clamming is hard work, but, as with any job, when done well and to honor the Lord, it is always worth it.
It is always wonderful for me to be able to "tag" along for the afternoon. Just finding a spot to sit and watch from...so peaceful...such a time of reflection...God has been so gracious to allow us to live in such an amazing place...I try very hard not to take any of this for granted.
Don't you just love the writings of Tozer! I've read a little of his biography...such a simple man, really. I enjoy the fact that he doesn't use a lot of "flowery speech" or "grandiose words", but writes what is on his heart...so convicting.
Always nice to hear from you...have a blessed day!
Mrs. Laura
Dear Virginia,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you found my blog again and that you stopped by. I have missed you! Your comments are always so sweet. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the quote from Tozer...I'm sure that you would enjoy reading some of his writings. He does encourage us to "dig deeper", to examine ourselves daily in light of Scripture, and to be willing to take the focus off of ourselves and place it totally on the Lord.
Don't you just love those socks? I was amazed when I first saw the yarn...I kept thinking...how can this ball of colors make a pattern when you knit it? Come to find out, it is computer generated...it was so much fun to watch as the pattern emerged!
I hope that you all have a very blessed New Year...it is so nice to touch base with you again!
With love,
Laura
Hello Nabila Grace!
ReplyDeleteI am the same way too, I can read Scripture again and again, and each time it speaks to me to search deeper...and go to other Scripture in order that I might find answers to questions that I have. I also find it so wonderful to seek the counsel of godly men who spend time studying the Scriptures for Truth (men such as my husband and older sons).
I think that you would enjoy reading Tozer. I know how busy you are most days, especially with your two little ones, but his writings are short, concise, and to the point. Most chapters are just a few pages long...but they give you oh so much to ponder over. I have read some of his books many times!
Have a wonderful day, dear, and please know that we continue to pray for your husband...that God will provide the job that will best suit him and honor the Lord at the same time.
With love,
Laura
What a wonderful day Laura. I think it perfect!
ReplyDeleteI remember clamming as a little girl, when we went to visit my Aunts and Uncles who lived on Fishers Island. To me it was a bit of Paradise. You live in a very beautiful part of the world.
I really enjoy your post today.
Good Morning Linda!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by! I'm not familiar with Fishers Island...but I certainly am familiar with clamming as a child. I can remember we would all go down to the flats...in our bare feet (the mud felt really good between your toes!) and dig enough to steam for supper. That was back before you needed all the licenses and such. We'd play around in the cool salty water...such fun...such wonderful memories.
We do feel very blessed to live on the water...and, I agree, it is very beautiful.
I'm so glad that I could share a part of it with you today!
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Clamming isnt something that I'm familiar with (being English!), but I did love your post, Laura, with its deeper meanings.
ReplyDeleteDear Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteSo nice of you do drop by! I've always been fascinated with England...it seems very different from where we live. I'm so glad that you enjoyed my post. Thank you for your encouraging comment!
God bless,
Laura
Hi, Laura,
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, how beautiful it is there!! It was so interesting to see the clamming pictures. I've never seen that before.
Yes, I just love your socks! They look very warm!
A.W. Tozer's books are wonderful! I really like his book, The Pursuit of God.
Hope you're having a great week. :)
Hello Melanie!
ReplyDeleteSo good to hear from you again! Thank you so much for your sweet comments. Aren't those socks too cute...I'm going to get some more of this yarn and knit some of the other patterns. And you're right, they are really warm!
We really enjoy Tozer...and "The Pursuit of God" is probably our family's favorite. He really causes you to take a look at some crucial scriptural issues.
Have a blessed evening!
Laura
This was such an interesting post. I've never heard of a 'hod' and was quite unfamiliar with the process of harvest clams. Those clam forks look fearsome! I hope they wear protective foot gear so they don't spear themselves!
ReplyDeleteIt also looks like back-breaking work. They were truly earning their bread (or chowder) by the sweat of their brow.
I just loved the picture of father and son together! They must make your heart swell with pride!
Oh, I love the whimsical knitted socks, by the way!!
Your reflection on seeking a deeper spiritual life really struck a cord with me. This is something I have been praying about and meditating on very much lately.
Now I'm off to find a copy of Tozer's book. Based on this post, I *must* read it!
Laura I love this post, so much scripture and love the pictures of your husband and son, those socks are lovely too, we used to go claming and flounder gigging and such, was fun times for sure, God bless you and I love your blog, I am going to add it to my favorites for others to find too, any Godly site needs to be promoted, we do not have enough of them.
ReplyDeleteStop by my site when you can I am following you now so will be back soon.
Safe in His arms, Barbara form
http://bakinnbitsbarbara.blogspot.com/
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful that the "mystery" of
the picture has been revealed! As I said, we have had such a chuckle over this...you have a wonderful sense of humor! I am ever so thankful that God gave us the gift of laughter...such an incredible medicine!
I agree that the clam forks look pretty frightening and dangerous! They are actually handmade out of old pitchforks...clammers cut the wooden pole down to a length that works best for them...and then bend the tines. Each clammer is pretty protective of his fork...sort of like seamstresses and our favorite pair of shears!
Don't you just love those socks! I couldn't believe it when my mom first gave the yarn...I guess it is computer generated to produce a pattern. It is really fun to see what sort of pattern will come out...I've done several of these...one of the specialty knitting stores locally carries this kind of yarn.
Oh, I'm so glad that you are seeking out Tozer's writings...I so enjoy reading this quiet man of God. We have many of his books...so simple...yet so profound...and very convicting.
And yes, it does bring joy to my heart as I watch my sons with their father. My husband is such a wonderful man...and so committed to sharing the love of God with his sons. I thank God daily for the family that He has given to me...He is so good.
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Dear Barbara,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you found my blog! Thank you so much for your sweet and encouraging comments!
What a joy it is to find fellow bloggers who love the Lord and want to see His Word brought forth. I look forward to visiting your blog soon!
Have a blessed day,
Laura