My parents love to play dominoes!
Whenever we visit,
You can almost be certain
that before too long
Dad will say...
"Anyone up for a game?"
that before too long
Dad will say...
"Anyone up for a game?"
Last week I cooked a turkey
And we took it down to share
with my parents.
Of course, after dinner,
While we played dominoes,
my sons decided that
Gram and Gramp needed
some more wood brought in
for the woodstove...
"My boys," dad said,
"They're the best!"
My husband made a comment
that, yes indeed,
we had been blessed
with 3 very special sons.
"Yes, I agree," Dad said,
"But the example you show
by the life you lead is
the reason they are
the way they are!"
We both smiled,
realizing that grandfathers
can be somewhat partial
to grandchildren...
and simply said, "Thank you."
But I continued to think about this
as we played on.
Have you ever had the pleasure
of lining up a whole row of
dominoes...
And then pushing the first one
over and watching the rest fall?
The Domino Effect...
And it suddenly hit me...
Everything we do and say,
Our children are watching.
We lead by example.
And if we fall...
So do our children.
They will be affected,
be it good or bad,
by every decision we make in life.
An awesome responsibility...
One to never be taken lightly...
For we have Someone that
we must answer to...
When all is said and done.
And raising children...
Is by no means a game.
"And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart,
"Yes, I agree," Dad said,
"But the example you show
by the life you lead is
the reason they are
the way they are!"
We both smiled,
realizing that grandfathers
can be somewhat partial
to grandchildren...
and simply said, "Thank you."
But I continued to think about this
as we played on.
Have you ever had the pleasure
of lining up a whole row of
dominoes...
And then pushing the first one
over and watching the rest fall?
The Domino Effect...
And it suddenly hit me...
Everything we do and say,
Our children are watching.
We lead by example.
And if we fall...
So do our children.
They will be affected,
be it good or bad,
by every decision we make in life.
An awesome responsibility...
One to never be taken lightly...
For we have Someone that
we must answer to...
When all is said and done.
And raising children...
Is by no means a game.
"And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart,
and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
And these words, which I command thee this day,
shall be in thine heart:
And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children,
and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house,
and when thou walkest by the way,
and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."
Deuteronomy 6: 5-7





Beautiful analogy and so true. ~Alana~
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your lovely comment, Alana. It is always so nice to hear from you.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed evening,
Laura
Wow...that was deep. Very thought provoking...and very true. I don't even know how to play dominos. You ever heard of the game "Trouble"? That's been a habitual game for us since the early 80's. My kids grew to love it as well. They still had their Nintendos but I don't recall them ever refusing a game of "trouble" during family gatherings. I enjoyed watching them, "enjoy" board games that I played during my youth. Even as young adults, they still enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you all had a great time together! This was time well spent. I miss playing games with my dad. Look forward to your next post! Take care.
Angie,
Dear Angie,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have you stop by again! I have played the game "Trouble" before...it is very similar to Parcheesi...which is a game we enjoy. How many children do you have? How old are they? Children are such a blessing from our Lord.
May you have a blessed weekend,
Laura
I have 1 son named Dedric(20) and 1 daughter named Alexis(19). I miss the baby years, but the adult years have been quite interesting so far. Yes, children are BLESSINGS! :D
ReplyDeleteYou have a blessed weekend as well.
Angie,
Dear Angie,
ReplyDeleteYour children are about the same ages as ours. We have 3 sons; Joshua and Daniel are 24 and Samuel is 16. They grow so fast...I, too, miss the baby years...but look forward to more "baby years" when (Lord willing) our sons have children of their own.
Take care,
Laura
Dear Laura,
ReplyDeleteEverything we do, our children are watching. It is a bit daunting but that is the way Our Lord designed it.
Dominoes is a game I have been playing with my children for quite sometime. In fact, in the country where I was born, it is considered the game to play after your afternoon lunch :)
Are you by any chance playing Mexican Train?
In His Love,
Maria
Dear Maria,
ReplyDeleteI agree, dear friend, our children watch us constantly...even when we are unaware.
My parents taught us to play dominoes...and I only know one way...even though I know there are many more variations. I do believe this version is Mexican Train...although I think my dad adapted the rules somewhat!
Have a blessed evening!
Laura
Dear Laura...such a sweet time spent with your parents...I miss our parents so much! It is so nice that you all live closeby one another...so nice for your sons and their grandparents. My husbands parents lived 2 blocks from us and my parents lived next door...so we were so blessed to live closeby our parents as well. Our son had such a wonderful time in his growing up years to have his grandparents so closeby! Blessings ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteDear Teri,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have you stop by! What a blessing to have both set of parents live so close. My husbands parents also lived close to us...but they have both since gone to be with the Lord. How wonderful for you son to be so close to his grandparents...we know what a blessing that is!
Have a blessed weekend, my friend,
Laura
How wonderful that your sons noticed the need for more wood and brought it in for them! This was a wonderful blog post--very inspiring. I wish you a wonderful weekend, dear Laura!
ReplyDeleteDear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteYour comments are always so sweet, my dear. We have been blessed with three wonderful sons...I thank the Lord each and every day for this.
Have a blessed weekend,
Laura
Such a wonderful meaningful post my dear! I have decided that I'm adopting you as my mama :o)
ReplyDeleteOh, dear one, when I read your comment... my eyes just filled up with tears! How I do wish that we lived closer... wouldn't that be wonderful! Perhaps some day the Lord will see fit to bring us together...until then, I am ever so thankful for the internet.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed weekend...and hug those two precious ones for me!
Laura
How wonderful that you have your family so close by. What a blessing that is. We're about five hours from our families right now. We'd love to move closer if it would be in the Lord's will. For now, we try to make the most of our visits, and be thankful for the time we do have together.
ReplyDeleteThe dominoes are a wonderful illustration to use. I love being a mom, and I try to be a good example to my daughter. I agree that being a parent is an awesome responsibility not to be taken lightly.
It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job with your sons. You have every reason to be proud of them!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.♥
Dear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have you drop by! Wouldn't it be wonderful if, Lord willing, you were able to relocate closer to your families. We are truly blessed to live so close to my parents. What joys we would have missed out on if they hadn't been "just down the road apiece...".
Thank yous also for the sweet comment about our sons. They are such a blessing to us...as I'm sure that your daughter is to you. Truly a gift from our Lord.
Have a blessed Sunday!
Laura
So true, Mrs. Wiley. And not only from parents to children, but from older siblings to younger, from older Christians to younger, and etc.
ReplyDeleteOn a slightly different subject, that table is so pretty, and seems like it is just perfect for a four people game of dominos. =)
God bless,
Christianna
Dear Miss Christianna,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to hear from you! Your comment is so true...those of us who are older have to remember that we are being watched...and that we have a profound influence over those who we are in charge of...be it our children, or younger siblings, or newer Christians. We should never take this responsibility lightly.
Thank you for the compliment on my mom's kitchen table...it is so pretty...and opens up to a much larger table! We so enjoy playing games with my parents...or just spending time with them.
Hope everyone is well in your family. Please tell them we said "hello!"
Have a blessed Sunday,
Mrs. Laura
Domino's! We love playing Mexican Train...that's what I thought you were playing when I looked at that beautiful table your parents have. My parents like playing domino's with the girls when they come up to NH.
ReplyDeleteYou are so very right...training children is not a game. The Lord is continuing to make Deuteronomy 6: 5-7 very personal and real to me. Thank you for such thoughtful posts!
Your family always seems to have such nice times together, Mrs. Laura! It’s wonderful how close you all are. What a blessing to your parents that your sons hauled in wood for them . . . and it looks like you all had fun together playing dominoes! That is one game that I know nothing about. :) Though, when my brother, sister and I were young, we did use them in the way you mentioned here of pushing one over to make all the rest fall over! Which is a perfect analogy to what you shared so well here regarding the great importance of the training and instruction of parents toward their children, and the example that they are to them. How very necessary this teaching and training is! And how very thankful I am that I have parents who have taught my siblings and me. Who have been, and continue to be, examples to us as they sought, and continue to seek, to grow in the Lord and walk in obedience to His Word. And in turn, with the little children we know now, it has been sobering to think that we are an example to them whether for good or ill . . . that their little eyes are watching and imitating.
ReplyDeleteWith all that in mind, thank you for sharing all of this . . . your enjoyable evening as well as these important truths!
Dear Mandy,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you stopped by! We are playing Mexican Train...I asked my mom today...it is the only way I know to play dominoes but I wasn't sure just what it was called.
It is very obvious that you and your husband have taken Deuteronomy 6 to heart...you have done such a fine job raising your children!
Have a blessed Sunday!
Laura
Dear Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your lovely comments. It is so obvious by your blog and by your family's ministry website that your parents have taken this scripture to heart in obedience to our Lord. We do have to be ever so careful...for we are being watched constantly...not only by those younger than us...but also by non believers. Our lives should be a witness to those around us. You and your sister are doing such a fine job of this with the examples you set for the little ones in your girls group. May the Lord continue to richly bless this ministry for His glory.
Have a blessed Sunday,
Mrs. Laura