Monday, January 10, 2011

It's All About Timing...

 Earlier this fall
We had a rain and wind storm
That caused this tree to uproot...


The tree became wedged between 
two other trees...

It was making me a bit nervous
because the tree was located
about 15 feet from our house...

Because the ground was soft at the time
My husband said that we would wait
Until the ground was frozen...
And then he and the boys would
take down the tree.

This weekend...
The tree came down.


My husband firing up the chainsaw!

Removing some limbs and branches...

First, the tree had to be pulled away from the stump...
Now it's time for Samuel to "pull her down!"
Joshua begins to saw up the trunk!

The tree is down...time for cutting up the limbs...
I have to admit...
That tree has been making me a bit
nervous for months now...
Every time a strong wind blew...

But my husband knew better...
He knew that the tree could not
come down on the house
because of the way it was wedged
between the other trees.

And he knew that it was best 
to wait until the ground was frozen
So that we would prevent further damage...
And be able to drag it out and 
across the lawn with the truck. 

Timing was everything...  

How often do we worry...
Because events do not happen
When we want or expect them to???

How often do we become impatient...
When we pray for something...
And the Lord doesn't seem to answer our prayers???

How often are we disappointed...
Because we were counting on someone
And, for whatever reason,
They let us down?

The Lord comforts us in His Word...
Reminding us that His timing is 
different from our timing... 

"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, 
that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years
and a thousand years as one day." 
2 Peter 3:8 

Therefore, in His Word,
He instructs us to have patience...
God knows what is best for us...
And He will take care of things
In His Timing... 

"Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: 
not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, 
because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: 
fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.
 For evildoers shall be cut off: 
but those that wait upon the LORD,
they shall inherit the earth."
Psalm 37: 7-9 

"My times are in your hands;
   deliver me from the hands of my enemies,
   from those who pursue me.
 Let your face shine on your servant;
   save me in your unfailing love. "
Psalm 31:15 

And now...
It is time to clean up! 



23 comments:

  1. What a lovely lesson on ours/God's timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elizabeth,
    So nice to have you stop by for a visit! I am always amazed at how the Lord teaches us through everyday occurrences...and there is so much peace in leaving it in the Lord's hands and waiting on His timing.

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that your husband knew exactly when to act and take care of the tree...and it is true, because we focus on the trial and not the outcome of it, we tend to want to act before truly Trusting on Our Lord.

    Great post as always dear friend.

    Laura, thank you so much for your prayer. At this time, our trial is what Our Lord wants in our lives...I fully trust in Him, so I am not to worry!

    In His Love,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very interesting post. I love to see how resourceful people resolve a problem! Will the wood from that tree be cut up for firewood?

    Your comment on all things occurring in God's good time truly spoke to my heart. It made me think of Abraham and Sarah--how difficult it was for them to await God's timing. The results of their impatience and attempting to accomplish God's plan in THEIR time were tragic for many people.

    Have a blessed week, my sister in Christ!

    Homesick for Heaven,
    Miss Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Maria,
    Always so nice to hear from you. We are so sorry to hear about your husband's illness and will continue to pray for healing. It is so difficult to see the ones that we love suffer with pain and sickness. Keep trusting in our Lord, dear friend. He knows all your needs.

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Miss Linda,

    Thank you for stopping by! Yes, indeed, we will use the wood from this tree for firewood, as well as share some with my parents who also burn wood. We are so blessed to be surrounded by forest so that we can gather much of our wood from this source.

    I appreciate your comment about Abraham and Sarah. So often it is difficult to have patience...and we often rush ahead of our Lord and make mistakes. That is why it is ever so important to practice patience...and to be in the Word daily looking for instruction to guide us in this area...as well as every other part of our lives.

    Have a blessed week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, You are so right--timing! We see so finitely, as through a fog, but the Lord sees all. Even the darkness cannot hide me...darkness and light are alike to Him! And He sees hearts. It's so hard to be patient and wait for Him.

    Thanks for posting this reminder!

    Love,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect timing on this post! As we wait patiently for the results of our dear daughters test!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Christine,
    The words you have written are so true...our observations of situations are so limited...praise God that He knows and sees all...and is in control.

    It is always so nice to hear from you!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Tina,
    Thanks so much for stopping by. We are praying here for your daughter...for the physicians who will watch over her...and for strength and comfort for your family as you go through all this. We recently went through a trial such as this with my husband...how comforting it was to know that the Lord is always with us.

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank You Laura!I appreciate you kind words and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Laura~
    I'm so glad you all were safe and the tree didn't fall on your house!
    Yes, timing is everything! We have to remember that God's timing is perfect. I think it's wonderful how you pick the perfect verses to go with your posts. :)
    I noticed in the comments that you plan to use the tree for firewood. My parents had a wood stove when I was growing up (they still do). We would all go out and get firewood. I can still remember the smell of the chainsaw and sawdust! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Melanie,
    Oh, the smell of wood...I know exactly what you're talking about! We've had a woodstove forever...and there is just something very special about the warmth and smell of wood heat.

    I'm so glad that you liked the verses that I choose for my post. It is so important to wait for God's timing...sometimes difficult for us in the flesh...but we know that being obedient to Him brings such peace.

    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks just a little familiar, Mrs. Laura! :) Taking out trees and hauling them away has been a rather big project lately for us here. :) I am sure it was a relief to have that tree taken down, and now you won’t have the concern about it possibly falling on your home. Plus you have the added benefit of more firewood!

    The parallel you shared here about waiting patiently on the Lord’s timing and trusting in Him is such a good one. I am afraid that this is an area of weakness for me . . . I am one who has the tendency to want things taken care of/resolved/answered/etc now. And it seems through the years, that the Lord keeps sending things my way (and our family’s way) where more of this ‘dross’ can be melted off as I learn to trust Him more. It really is amazing, though, how when we do submit to His will and timing and can say from our hearts “Not my will, but Thine be done” what great peace then floods our hearts. Truly it is a “peace that passes understanding.” I think this all comes back to what you had mentioned earlier about focus . . . if our focus is upon the Lord, and not upon all of the circumstances of our lives, how much easier it is to have this trust in Him.

    Unrelated to all of this . . . I have been meaning to ask, how has the tatting been coming? I look forward to seeing your future projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That poplar was a heavy tree. I couldn't even imagine the damage it would have done if it had hit the house (Sam would probably be sleeping with the chickens!). We'll probably end up taking down the other large poplar that this one got caught one.

    I really liked the verses you picked for this blog. Waiting for the Lord can be very difficult, especially when others, who practice wicked schemes, appear to be successful in their ways. Regardless, we need to put our trust in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Morning, Miss Sarah!

    Yes, I am so thankful that they tree is down...especially in light of the snow storm we are getting as we speak! The wood will be so handy as well...we certainly can burn quite a bit of wood in the winter!

    Thank you for sharing about your struggle with being patient...I believe this is something that we all have difficulty with at times. Along with prayer, and reading of the Word, of course, I find it very helpful to keep myself "busy" with things that need finishing. I have a list of "little jobs" on hand (such as restuffing a pillow, taking stock of the pantry, sorting through the utensil drawer, filling the lanterns with oil, recharging batteries...), the kind of jobs that only take a few moments but are really satisfying when completed. When I am feeling "impatient" and trying to wait on the Lord, working on this list really helps pass the time...and it gets some important things accomplished and out of the way!

    As for tatting...I've almost finished with a row of edging that I am planning to put around a doily...it has been a challenge for me to learn this new skill...talk about patience! I plan to post a picture when I finish my first project. I also was able to get some very fine thread in Portland yesterday when we went to the airport...just taking advantage of our trip to the big city!

    Time for shoveling! Have a blessed day,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so thankful that the tree is down, Joshua! You all did such a fine job taking care of it. I have to admit...I was holding my breath as it came down! You can never be too careful when it comes to trees...!

    Samuel would probably love sleeping with the chickens...even if a tree didn't go through his bedroom! And your suggestion of taking down the other one is a good one...a good strong wind could probably take that one down as well. I'll miss the big woodpeckers that nest in that tree, though!

    Thanks for you comment about the scripture. It is hard to be patient sometimes, Josh, and even harder sometimes when things don't seem to be turning out the way we had hoped. I am so grateful that we all put our trust in the Lord...it makes waiting all the more worth it!

    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mrs. Laura, we had a similar experience once. Our tree, however, had not already fallen on its own-we were encouraging the action. =) Still as it was in the process of falling, the direction was not preferable as it was towards our dining room. Thankfully the Lord sent a wind which nudged the tree just enough to send it to a better landing spot, in the opposite direction.

    Thanks for the verses! Great reminders.
    Christianna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Morning, Miss Christianna!
    Hope you all survived the storm...we just got power back after being without it for about a day. Did you lose power?

    Trees can be scary things...especially when they are near the house and there is a lot of wind. We are thankful that your home was not damaged as well.

    I'm glad that you enjoyed the verses. Sometimes it is difficult to be patient!

    Have a blessed day,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mrs. Wiley,
    Good morning to you! We did survive, and that with out loosing our power. Thanks for asking. We seem to be in this bit of a hollow/valley, where many times others are hit much harder than ourselves.
    Christianna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, that is wonderful, Miss Christianna! So glad that you all weathered the storm so well. Today is so much nicer...sunny with just a bit of wind...the snow is glistening...God's amazing beauty!

    Have a wonderful day,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my dear. Yes, timing is everything. We have to be patient and wait on the Lord. It is so hard though at times! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Nabila Grace,
    It is so difficult at times...but we must trust in the One who knows what is best for us.

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...