Yesterday we took my parents to the "big city."
This doesn't happen very often,
For the "big city" for us
is over an hour's drive from here.
But we were on a mission...
which I'll save for a future blog!
On the way,
we stopped at a place
that you must experience
to truly appreciate...
Elmer's Barn is a veritable maze
Of anything and everything imaginable...
Four floors...
It takes days to go through the place...
And each time you go it is always different.
| Just a little path cleared to the front door... My husband waiting to make sure that dad doesn't slip! |
The bottom floor is jam packed...
No rhyme or reason for where things are...
My mom stumbled across this old doll
laying on top of a rusty toolbox...
The doll has three faces
which you turn from the top...
One smiling, one crying, and one sleeping!
We
could
barely
squeeze
through
here!
Mission
accomplished!
More
to
follow...
| An old primer sitting amongst some rusty paint cans... |
The second floor
is the "organized" floor...
It is filled with
"antiques" from local vendors
on consignment...
| Tinkertoys! |
We stayed much longer than we had intended to...
For some reason...we just couldn't get my parents to leave!
![]() |
| Lanterns galore! No need to worry about power outages! |
But I was very thankful
that we hadn't rushed them out
When mom and I stumbled across these...
Mom and I have been looking for shuttles
for some time now...
I had picked up a whole bag of crochet cotton
at the thrift store for a dollar
some time ago...
After mom came across this instruction book
in some of her old patterns...
We have never tatted before...
But have always wanted to try it.
We couldn't get any shuttles locally...
Until now.
![]() |
| Shuttles for Tatting! |
for some time now...
I had picked up a whole bag of crochet cotton
at the thrift store for a dollar
some time ago...
After mom came across this instruction book
in some of her old patterns...
We have never tatted before...
But have always wanted to try it.
We couldn't get any shuttles locally...
Until now.
When we got to the counter,
I told the girl that I was surprised to find
them open in the winter time...
She assured us that they stayed open year round..
"People are always
searching for treasures,"
she replied.
Made me wonder just
what sort of treasures
people are searching for...
So we paid for our purchases,
And got ready to leave...
As Fred the bear and Leroy the skunk,
The ever faithful watch guards,
Wished us a safe trip to the "big city"...
And reminded us to come back again real soon!
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth,
where moth and rust doth corrupt,
and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt,
and where thieves do not break through nor steal:"
Matthew 6:19-20








Laura, I could spend *hours* there! :) And I love the application--just as I would search that antique store looking in nooks and crannies for hidden treasure, I must also deeply and thoroughly search and learn God's Word. "For wisdom is better than jewels; and all desirable things cannot compare with her." Proverbs 8:11 nasb
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing!
Love, Christine
Mrs. Wiley,
ReplyDeleteLydia has been wanting to try here hand at tatting for a little while now. I didn't realize that one would need one of those shuttle things for it. I'll have to let her know, or see if she already did. =)
That 'antique mall' really looks like a neat place to go and browse through.
Christianna
Oh my goodness...I could just spend my whole day there!
ReplyDeleteWhat amazing treasures! Shuttles, crochet cotton, chairs, tables...oh my! What an amazing way to spend an afternoon :)
In His Love,
Maria
Dear Christine,
ReplyDeleteWouldn't it be fun to go spend the day there together? It is such an incredibly fun place...never the same twice.
I love your comparison to Proverbs 8:11...God's word is so full of "treasures"...just waiting for us to discover them!
Blessings to you and your family!
Laura
Dear Miss Christianna,
ReplyDeleteI bet Miss Lydia would love tatting...she does such a nice job with her fine crocheting and such! If she didn't know about the shuttles, please tell her that she can probably pick one up in one of your local craft stores. You all have much more access to those where you live than I do! If she can't find one locally, please tell her that I know how to make one. It is really easy to make and you have all the parts right at home! A shuttle is simply a kind of bobbin that holds the cotton thread.
I'm sure that your family would love Elmer's...it certainly is a lot of fun to poke through!
Have a blessed evening and give our best to your family,
Mrs. Laura
Dear Maria,
ReplyDeleteI just know that you and I would have such a wonderful time there together...especially after seeing "your little cottage" and how beautifully you decorate it! You have an eye for "treasures"...we'd probably get lost in there!
Hope all is well where you are, my dear. I'm headed for my sewing loft...
With love,
Laura
Oh! That looks like so much fun, Mrs. Laura!! We all enjoyed seeing all of the photos, and looking at the different items. What an amazing place . . . and one that we would love. Though I think it would take us nearly forever to get all the way through. :) There’s so much to see! What a blessing that you and your husband had the opportunity to go with your parents, and it sounds like you had a wonderful time. And how exciting to find the tatting shuttles! In all the times we have visited antique stores, I don’t think I have ever seen any of them before. I will be looking forward to seeing your tatting creations! And I’m also curious to know more about what you were on a ‘mission’ for. :)
ReplyDeleteIt’s kind of funny that you should post about your visit to the antique store today, as we are planning on going to one or two tomorrow as a family. It is always a special treat when we can do that!
I love the verses that you shared at the end of this post . . . how convicting they are. And they are also ones that I just read this morning during my Bible reading time. :)
Dear Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeleteOh, I know that you and your family would just love Elmer's...wouldn't we all have such a wonderful time exploring through it together! One of the best parts is that most of the items have no price tags...so you just make an offer...and most of the time they accept it! There are so many old books...which I know you would love...as well as wooden boxes and quilts and lanterns and tools and....whew! Just way too much to list...you'll just have to take a ride over and see!
I hope that you have a wonderful day exploring tomorrow...maybe you'll post some of your finds? It would be fun to see what you all discovered on your "treasure" hunt!
These verses are convicting for me as well, Miss Sarah. We have been concentrating on going through things as a family and getting rid of those things that we do not need...trying not to "store" up too much!
Enjoy your day with your family!
Mrs. Laura
Dear Laura...such a special time for your family to spend on an "out and about" day! Such a blessing to spend the day with your parents. I am sure that you all had such a wonderful time! Quite a "treasure" hunt! New Years Blessings to you and yours! Hugs ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteDear Teri,
ReplyDeleteAlways nice when you drop by for a visit. We did have a wonderful time...it is quite an amazing place!
I hope that you and your family have a blessed New Year as well!
~Laura
When I read this post, I was going to comment when I noticed Christianna had already done that for me!! =) That store sounds like a really neat place to different treasures!! It's always exciting to find items you can't normally find!
ReplyDeleteAs Christianna already mentioned, I've been wanting to try tatting for a long time now. I've seen a few really pretty patterns to create some beautiful linens and such. I'm looking forward to someday being able to try tatting. However, I have a long list of different hand projects - both crocheting and knitting - to complete. Perhaps, once you learn the art, you can come visit us in order that you can teach me! =)
I've enjoyed seeing your pictures of the Maine winter wonderland!! It's really beautiful up there!! It's always fascinating to see the changes that the different seasons bring. Clearly, the Lord loves beauty.
I hope y'all have a fantastic weekend.
Dear Miss Lydia,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to hear from you again. I'm sure that you would be so good at tatting...you have a real talent for crocheting and knitting! I, too, have seen some beautiful patterns for tatting...I especially want to be able to learn to make the "lace" that you would put around hankerchiefs and such...it is so pretty. I've discovered that basically all tatting is is a series of double stitches for the most part...it's just getting the technique down and practice, practice, practice! Mom and I are going to give it a try this weekend. We'll see what happens!
Thank you for your sweet comments about the beauty of Maine. New England is so beautiful in the winter...each part has its own special qualities...
mountains...seashores...forests...
God's handiwork is so evident everywhere...what a blessing!
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend as well,
Mrs. Laura
What a special day with family! Thank you for sharing it with us. I really enjoyed the pictures of all the treasures you found. Spending time in an old "antiques" store like that is always so much fun! I'm so glad you found the shuttles for your tatting. I can't wait to hear more about your tatting projects.
ReplyDeleteThank you also for the reminder of priorities. In our life it is too easy to lose sight of Christ in our daily round of activities.
Happy New Year to you and your family!
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteIt's so nice to have you stop by for a visit. We did have a very special day with mom and dad...and it is always fun exploring places like this! Mom and I are going to work on some tatting this evening when we go over to visit.
Sending wishes for a very blessed New Year your way as you continue to walk with the Saviour.
~Laura
oh my!! This looks like a good place for my treasure seeking little self! ;o) I'm sure I couldn't leave in an hour! ;o)
ReplyDeleteHello Nabila Grace!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you would just have the best time at Elmer's...and you're right, you just simply can't limit yourself to one hour. You and I would have such a day "treasuring" through here together!
Have a blessed weekend,
Laura