Monday, December 27, 2010

Digging Out From Under...

BURIED!
We awoke to a blanket of white...


After thanking the Lord that we still had power,
 firing up the woodstove,
and enjoying a quick breakfast
that our hens provided...


We headed outside...
To a world of winter.


We spent the better part of the day...
digging out from under.







Beating a path
to the chicken coop...










Clearing
the
driveway


Enjoying the beauty of it all.


We were ever so thankful
that not nearly as much snow had fallen
overnight as had been predicted...


Although it continued to snow throughout
the day...


And by mid-morning with the high winds
the sea was in turmoil...


 On our way home
after plowing out my parents' drive...
We came across some of our
"summer" neighbors...
Who had ventured up in the storm
to spend a few days in their cabin.
We took a few moments
to help clear a path down their driveway...


and then headed home...
Only to discover
that we needed to "dig out"
all over again!


As we were driving around the point today
cleaning up the driveways
I was amazed at how beautiful
and clean the snow was...

And I was reminded of Isaiah 1:18...

"Come now, and let us reason together,
saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet,
 they shall be as white as snow;"

The Lord tells us that if we come to Him in confession,
in repentance, He will take the ugly sins
that we have in our life and wash them away,
and make us as pure and as white
as that freshly fallen snow.
What a beautiful picture of God's forgiveness!
 
How sad it is that
so many people today
feel that they must first
dig out from under
all the mess and sin that they have
created in their lives
before they can ever hope that
God would forgive them
and accept them as His own.

But as we know,

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one..."
Romans 3:10

none of us are worthy of this free gift,
and even if we spent every waking moment...
of every day...
we could never "dig out from under"
our sin by our own strength...

Praise God that He takes care of the
"digging out" for us...
And that makes me smile indeed.




"Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow..."
Psalm 51:7

18 comments:

  1. I hope you are staying snug and safe today! I am amazed at all the snow! The verses you chose from Psalm 51 are among my favorite of all the Scriptures. It is wonderful to think on the assurance of the love, mercy and forgiveness of our Beloved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Linda,

    Oh, how true! I am forever grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord. What a joy to wake each day knowing that I am in His care and that I can trust Him to take care of everything...so I need not worry about anything.

    Thank you for your prayers of safety...we are indeed snug and warm...and the wind is still howling fiercely outside. The snow drifts are amazing...in some places you wouldn't even know that we had plowed out yesterday. Looks as though we might be back out there today...but we don't mind!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear one, snow was received with mixed feelings I am sure, by many. But to me, snow is essential to the ecology of this creation the Lord gave all of us. As a gardener, I know that the ground needs the moisture for the upcoming planting season.

    And yes, I do see that wonderful scripture...purify with hyssop and I shall be clean... I do see snow as a way of cleaning and covering everything that was once ugly and distasteful with such a beauty...fresh, clean, pure.

    I am glad that there were no casualties and that you are nice and "warm" in your lovely home.

    Be blessed dear one and stay safe :)

    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Maria,
    Oh, if you could only see outside my window today...the sun is shining so brightly...the snow is sparkling white...so absolutely beautiful! How could anyone not see the Lord's hand in all of this?

    Have a very blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post as always! I love snow so much for it's white pure appearance and I always seem to reflect on Isaiah 1:18 whenever I see snow. Enjoy the snow for me my dear! Our snow is almost gone. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so enjoying this snow, Nabila Grace! It is such a beautiful day today...so sunny...and everything is just glistening! I hope that you get some more snow soon...just enough to play in, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, That's amazing! Wow...I've never seen so much snow in one place! Thanks for sharing your photos. :o) This is the only snow us Houstonians will probably get to see this year. :o)

    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Donna,
    So nice to hear from you! I'd send you some snow...but somehow I don't think that UPS would deliver it! Hope all is well with you and your family!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Laura,
    I was thinking about you the other day. Our farm just received it's seed potatoes from Maine. I am so glad to see your blog again.
    What a beautiful post. I enjoyed all the pictures and it is making me miss our trip up to your country this time of the year.
    Oh, how I love the snow. Just keeps the family snuggly close because it is sooo cold outside.

    Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura, Very nice application, as usual. You have a gift for doing that; keep seeking Him!!

    The snow is absolutely beautiful. And the coast of Maine? Seriously. Sigh....... How I miss the ocean.

    Blessings to you!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Virginia,
    So nice to hear from you again! I read on your blog about getting your seed potatoes from Maine...so you plant your potatoes in the fall? The weather must be very different where you are.

    We are keeping nice and toasting inside...enjoying all the beauty of the wintery weather outside! Thanks so much for thinking of us!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Christine!

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment. What a joy and blessing it is to serve our Lord each and every day. It is also a blessing for us to live in such a beautiful spot...despite our occasional storm!

    Hope you are having a wonderful week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so enjoyed all of the photos, Mrs. Laura! Thank you for sharing! I am glad that you made it through the storm all right and that you didn’t lose your power. I am sure that was appreciated! :) Everything looks so very beautiful with the thick blanket of snow . . . and the sea is incredible! It sounds like you all had a fun day together ‘digging out’, and I am sure your parents and neighbors appreciated your truck and plow helping to clear away the snow.

    It is amazing how a thick, fresh snowfall can change the look of the landscape. It gives such a feeling of cleanliness and purity . . . which is a perfect parallel to the thoughts that you shared here. It thrills my heart to think that the Lord God could love us so much to die in our place and give to us all the free gift and the opportunity to be redeemed and forgiven . . . washed clean of our sin, and made whiter than snow. A whiteness and purity that is simply amazing when one thinks of it being more so than even snow!

    Once again, thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you are staying warm and enjoying your snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had quite a snowfall here too. Actually the conditions were described as blizzard conditions. It was difficult to determine exactly how much fell because of the wind causing it to really drift! The snow is so beautiful!! You have some really pretty pictures here. I really like the ones by the sea, and that piece of equipment you have there all covered in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Miss Sarah,

    Thank you so much for your lovely comments... and rest assured, we are warm and cozy by the woodstove. We really do enjoy the snow around here...and we were so amazed that we did not lose our power because the wind was definitely blowing up a gale!

    Sometimes it is so difficult to put into words just how incredibly amazing it is to be a child of God. The joy, peace, assurance, and love that comes with that incredible gift...so undeserving...purchased at such an unbelievable cost...it humbles me to tears.

    I hope that you and your family are enjoying a blessed week!
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Miss Christianna,

    So nice to hear from you! I hope that you and your family are all well and survived our storm. We spoke to my brother in Concord on Monday and he told us that it was still snowing quite hard there...and the drifts were amazing! My sister in Vermont, however, barely got an inch...she said that they were just on the fringe of the storm.

    I'm glad that you liked the pictures. The piece of equipment that you mentioned is my husband's 1948 Case tractor. It was his dad's...they used in on their dairy farm.

    The sea was so incredibly breathtaking that day. The wind was creating these amazing waves...you could barely stand there...it kept taking your breath away! Sometimes I can hardly believe how the ocean can have so many different looks depending on the weather...always changing...always beautiful.

    Please tell your family that we said hello!
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is great that we still have gramp's old tractor after all these years. I can't wait to to put it back together this summer. It would definitely be cool to get it working again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know that dad is looking forward to this project, Josh! I just love looking at the old farm pictures of when it was new!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...