My sister-in-law, Nancy, loves the color red.
Just walk into her kitchen and you'll see...
Red countertop, red gingham curtains,
red dishes, red knicknacks...
So, when mom and I found this seersuckery cloth
With the bright red strawberries all over it
We just knew it spoke..."Nancy!"
Mom wanted to make Nancy something for her kitchen..
So we decided on some placemats,
napkins, napkin rings,
and a pot holder.
Mom worked on the placemats...
She used an old placemat that she had
as a pattern...
I quilted the "squares" on the potholder.
We wanted to have napkin rings that matched...
We wanted to have napkin rings that matched...
So dad cut 4 pieces of pvc pipe
and painted it with this super glossy yellow paint!
I painted a little strawberry on each
because I have this nifty little way
that makes mitering corners very easy...
An Easy Way To Miter Corners...
1. First, if I'm making napkins,
I press down 1/4 inch all the way around,
And then press down 1/4 inch again.
2. Using my pressing lines as a guide,
I trim off the outside corner.
3. Then, I press the new "corner" down to the
inside press line. Afterwards, I repress the
first press of the edges.
4. I then press edges under again making corner
meet diagonally in center of the corner. I top stitch
the hem into place, swiveling the material
as I reach the corners. This usually makes a neat
mitered corner!
Of course, as I worked on the mitered corners...
My dad, the never ending jokester,
told me that I could borrow his
"miter box" to miter my corners!
I began to think about all the
different definitions of the word "miter..."
I remembered that I had read about
Aaron wearing a miter (mitre) in the Old Testament...
"And these are the garments which they shall make;
a breastplate, and an ephod, and a robe,
and a broidered coat, a mitre, and a girdle:
and they shall make holy garments for Aaron thy brother,
and his sons, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office."
"And these are the garments which they shall make;
a breastplate, and an ephod, and a robe,
and a broidered coat, a mitre, and a girdle:
and they shall make holy garments for Aaron thy brother,
and his sons, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office."
Exodus 28:4
The word "miter" (mitre) can be found
in 9 verses in three different books
of the Old Testament.
The word "miter" (mitre) can be found
in 9 verses in three different books
of the Old Testament.
A miter was a headdress, similar to a turban,
that the high priest wore. It was made
of fine linen.On the front of the mitre
on Aaron's forehead, attached by a blue lace ribbon,
there was the golden plate engraved
HOLINESS TO THE LORD.
"And thou shalt make a plate of pure gold, and grave upon it,
like the engravings of a signet, HOLINESS TO THE LORD.
And thou shalt put it on a blue lace,
that it may be upon the mitre; upon the forefront
of the mitre it shall be.
And it shall be upon Aaron's forehead,
that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy things,
which the children of Israel shall hallow in all their holy gifts;
and it shall be always upon his forehead,
that they may be accepted before the LORD."
Exodus 28: 36-38
Aaron was instructed to wear
this for a purpose of the Lord...
"And thou shalt make a plate of pure gold, and grave upon it,
like the engravings of a signet, HOLINESS TO THE LORD.
And thou shalt put it on a blue lace,
that it may be upon the mitre; upon the forefront
of the mitre it shall be.
And it shall be upon Aaron's forehead,
that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy things,
which the children of Israel shall hallow in all their holy gifts;
and it shall be always upon his forehead,
that they may be accepted before the LORD."
Exodus 28: 36-38
Aaron was instructed to wear
this for a purpose of the Lord...
Does God instruct us today to dress a certain
way for His purpose?
Let us look take a look at the scriptures...
"In like manner also,
"In like manner also,
that women adorn themselves in modest apparel,
with shamefacedness and sobriety;
not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
But (which becometh women professing godliness)
with good works."
Timothy 2: 9-10
with shamefacedness and sobriety;
not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
But (which becometh women professing godliness)
with good works."
Timothy 2: 9-10
In this scripture, God used three words to help us
understand how women should dress...
1. kosmeo-order-orderly clothing
It means to, "To adorn, arrange, put in order."
It implies harmonious orderly arrangement.
2. aidos-shamefacedness-modest clothing
respectful timidity, not showy,
honoring others, not attracting attention.
It is a blend of modesty and humility.
honoring others, not attracting attention.
It is a blend of modesty and humility.
3. sophrosunes-sobriety-moderate clothing
It is a word that implies moderation; humility; having self control; hating sin.
So, we can see from this scripture,
That what we choose to wear as women
should not be chosen to promote ourselves...
but should be worn to bring reverence, respect,
should not be chosen to promote ourselves...
but should be worn to bring reverence, respect,
honor, and glory to God.
For that is the purpose.









What a delightful gift you made between you, thoughtful and pretty.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely handmade gift from the heart! I love the patchwork fabric!
ReplyDeleteSweet Sunday blessings to you,
Sharon
Oh Laura...what a beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteThe gifts are so pretty and the Scripture verses were just perfect for this wintry Sunday.
Have a blessed week dear one.
M.
Dear Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet comment. I have such fun making things with mom...she is so creative!
Have a blessed evening!
Laura
Dear Sharon,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to hear from you! Isn't the patchwork material fun! So bright and cheery...just like my sister in law!
Sweet blessings to you,
Laura
Dear Maria,
ReplyDeleteAlways good to hear from you, dear. Thank you for your sweet comment. Hope all is well with you and your family.
Blessings, dear friend,
Laura
Oh how wonderful! I Love the fabric! So nice and bright and cheerful! :o)
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila Grace,
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you! We, too, thought the fabric was so sunny and fun...just like my sister-in-law! Hope you have a "sunny" day, as well!
Laura
The napkins, placemats and potholder turned out so nice, Mrs. Laura! So bright and cheery, and I am sure your sister-in-law will love them. And what a creative idea to use pvc for the napkin rings! I would never have thought of something like that, but it looks like it works well.
ReplyDeleteThe tutorial for the mitered corners was helpful! And the next time I do mitered corners, I’ll have to give this method a try.
What you shared in this post regarding dress was wonderful, and it blessed and encouraged my heart to read. I loved the definitions of the Greek words that you shared as they are so clear and so convicting. (In fact, I copied them off for future reference. :) The definitions also give the implication that our dress should be a reflection of what is in our hearts . . . modesty, sobriety, respect, humility, etc. In today’s day and age, though, so little thought is given to what one wears, yet how important it is for us as women of the Lord to bring this area into obedience to Him . . . dressing in a manner that is pleasing and honoring to Him, is in obedience to the instruction given in His word, and will bring Him glory; remembering that our bodies are not our own for we have been “bought with a price.” Thank you so much for sharing!
I so enjoyed your response to my post, Miss Sarah. This is a difficult topic, for sure, especially in today's world. Even in the church, it can be confusing for the young ladies. I can recall times when we've worked with girls either in a VBS setting, Bible study,church camp, or Sunday school, and there was much emotion surrounding this topic. Frequently, a young lady's response will be..."But doesn't the Lord look on our hearts...not our outward appearance?" We know that only through careful study of God's Word can we realize how we should represent Christ, both in our appearance and demeanor, to an unsaved world.
ReplyDeleteOn a similar note, my sons have also remarked that it is unfair to say that this is strictly a "women's issue", for as believers we all represent Christ. Since they were small lads, my husband has always taught the boys that whenever they leave our home...they represent two family names, both ours and the Lord's... and so they should always be careful to never do anything that would disgrace either one. They understood at an early age that this goes for the way they dress, as well as the way they behave. I give God all the praise and glory that this has never been an issue in our home...and I continue to pray for those parents who struggle with young children and teenagers trying to "conform" to the ways of the world.
It always brightens my day to hear from you. We truly appreciated your e-mail...I sent you a response through your contact site on your sewing section. By the way, I've been meaning to tell you what a lovely job you did at setting up your "shop!" You are such an accomplished seamstress, my dear! I just love the different items you've displayed...modest, yet attractive and comfortable! And your dress for Ryan and Ashley's wedding...so beautiful and elegant. I look forward to seeing more of your creations.
Laura, Thank you for posting! I like how you tied things together with Scripture, and the reference to women's dress. And since I'm a word lover, I absolutely love your post title!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Christine
Dear Christine,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to hear from you! I have to admit, my whole family loves to read, so we really enjoy playing with words. I think I got it from my dad originally...but now my sons are pretty good at it as well.
Thank you so much for your comment about the reference to how we dress. Such an emotional topic in the church nowadays. I'm so thankful that we can go to God for the answers...and don't have to rely on ourselves.
Have a blessed evening,
Laura
Likewise, Mrs. Laura, I enjoyed your response to my comment! :) We, too, have seen how difficult this topic of modesty can be . . . and in fact, it was in part a difficult one for our family as well many years ago when we first made the transition to dressing more modestly. It was wonderful, though, to study the Scriptures together as a family and to learn and grow together in this! And what you shared is so true . . . God does look at the heart, but the way we live, dress, etc. should be a reflection of what is in our hearts. And like you mentioned, we are also representing Him to the unsaved world around us. Our demeanor, our actions, the activities we participate in, and yes, the way we dress, should reflect Who we represent. And again like you shared, this isn’t just strictly an issue for women, but for all believers in Christ. We very much appreciated the wise point that your husband made: “whenever [we] leave our home...[we] represent two family names, both ours and the Lord's.” How true this is! And so important to remember.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your encouraging words regarding my website, garments and sewing! It has been an exciting journey developing this home business . . . my parents have been such a help with it and Leah as well as she is the one who built the website. :) She did a wonderful job with it! I, too, have been meaning to tell you how very much I have enjoyed looking through your etsy shop . . . the items you offer are so nice and also so creative as well!
Once again, thank you for all that you shared in your comment, and I hope that your day is a blessed one for you.
Dear Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeletePlease share with Miss Leah what a lovely job she did on designing your business website...she is quite a talented young lady! The whole site has this "gentle feel" to it...very comforting to the eyes. Does Miss Leah design websites as a home business...or just for fun? She definitely has a flare for it!
As always, I so enjoy your comments. Wishing you all a very blessed midweek!
I found your blog through comments you have left on a favorite blog of mine--As Lilies Sewing. The kitchen accessories turned out beautifully! I am certain your sister will be delighted with them!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy sewing myself and appreciated your tutorial on mitered corners. I believe I am going to attempt your method. It was so good of you to take the time to provide a detailed list of instructions with photographs.
I particularly appreciated your comments on the importance of modesty in dress and deportment. It is an area of our culture where we have gone far astray.
Thank you again for your excellent tutorial.
Dear Miss Linda,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by to visit! i appreciate your warm comments and I hope the tutorial on mitered corners is helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions.
My sister-in-law was so thrilled with the items we made. She is such a sweet person...her smile lights up the whole room.
It is always fun to make something for her.
Thank you for your comment about modesty in dress. Sometimes my heart becomes very heavy when I see young ladies out in public places. I am so encouraged, however, we I hear about young ladies such as yourself and Miss Sarah, who are trying to be a witness and a light to others by carefully studying the scriptures and being obedient to God's word. May God richly bless you as you continue to walk with Him.
~Mrs. Laura
Good morning, Mrs. Laura! I passed your kind words on to Leah and her response was “she is so sweet!” and Leah also asked me to please tell you “thank you.” No, the website designing is not something that she has done as a home business, but is just something that she has done for fun and also to help the rest of us out as we are not as ‘computer literate’ as she is! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing for you all that Miss Leah is talented in this area. I could surely use her help...do you think you could "ship" her to Maine for a few days? Or better still, perhaps you could all come...with your instruments, of course! Bring Ryan and Ashley also...what a band we'd have! Seriously, though, please know that you are all always welcomed in our home if you ever get the opportunity to make a trip to New England.
ReplyDeleteWishing you and your family a blessed weekend,
Mrs. Laura
Your comment brought a smile to my face, Mrs. Laura! And thank you so much for your kind offer. Wouldn’t that be fun to be able to get together and play music, fellowship, visit, etc. together?! As my Mom mentioned last evening, it’s too bad that Maine is so far away. But as my Dad responded, you could be further away . . . say, Japan. :)
ReplyDeleteWhew, this has taken awhile to finish this comment! :) . . . I needed to stop mid-way to go put the pizzas for dinner together, and then Ryan and Ashley stopped by so we visited with them for quite awhile. And now in the brief bit before the pizzas are finished baking, I came upstairs to finish this and post it . . . anyway :) . . . thank you again, and I hope that you and your family have a blessed evening and Sunday tomorrow!
Homemade pizza sounds so yummy, Miss Sarah! My "guys" really like it, especially with wheat crust, so I make it quite often.
ReplyDeleteMaine's not that far away...only about 1,000 miles or so! :) Have you ever been to the ocean? My husband wondered if you all had ever had clams or lobsters before. We've only traveled along the eastern seaboard...not very far inland. Most of our family lives in New England.
Well, off to do some knitting...seems like a good activity for a rainy windy Maine evening!
Take care,
Mrs. Laura
Yes, I have been to the ocean once before, and it was so very beautiful! It was quite a long time ago, though (I think I was ten) and our family went to Maryland. It’s interesting as just this past Sunday, one of the ladies in our home church brought out her camera and was sharing pictures that she had just taken of some of her grandchildren. We ended up looking through other photos on her camera, and she had ones from her and her husband’s trip to Maine (along the coast) from this past summer. (Her husband’s brother lives there so after Ryan and Ashley’s wedding, they ‘detoured’ to Maine. :) The photos were amazing! What a very beautiful place!
ReplyDeleteMy parents have both had lobster before, but not clam, and I don’t think my siblings and I have had either. Though, when we went to Maryland we did eat crab and shrimp! :)
Good Morning, Miss Sarah!
ReplyDeleteI have also been to Maryland when I was about 10! My father worked for General Electric on airplane engines...and once a year he would have to travel to Washington D.C. to the bureau of standards to get the test equipment for the engines calibrated. Sometimes he would take my mom, my younger brother and I along so that we could visit some of the historical sites in and around Washington. It was quite a fascinating place!
Did the lady from your home church mention what part of Maine she visited? How nice for them that they were able to visit with her husband's brother...especially in the summertime! Right now we are expecting some more snow...it is right around 30 degrees...quite a change from Monday's 60s!
Have a blessed day,
Mrs. Laura
Sorry it took me a bit to reply to your question, Mrs. Laura! I couldn’t remember where she had told me that they went so I asked her yesterday, and they had visited Bath and Woolwich.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun and special memories you must have of your trips with your Dad and family! It reminds me of some of the trips that we have taken . . . my Mom always loved to visit the historical sites. :) I hope that you have a blessed day as well!
Isn't that amazing! My husband works in Bath...and we live about 50 miles north of there. He commutes on a van with a group of men from our area so he doesn't have to drive all that distance and it saves on gas (and wear and tear on the car!)
ReplyDeleteHope you all have a wonderful week,
Mrs. Laura