Friday, November 26, 2010

An Apple A Day...


One of my first projects when
mom and I learned to toll paint!




Keeps the doctor away!
We've all heard these familiar words of wisdom...








Here in our home
We love apples...
As well as applesauce, apple pie,
 apple butter, apple jelly,
 and apple crisp!

But, I must say,
that as much as my family loves apples
(and we certainly do!)
There are those here who love them
even more than we do...
Our hens!

Whenever I have peelings from apples
And throw them in their pen
They go crazy and gobble them up!


Fortunately, we have an almost
never ending supply of apples
for our ladies...
For right down our dirt road
Is a little spot known as "Apple Island"

I'm sure that you can guess where
the name came from...
There are many very old
crab apple trees located on this parcel of land.



We discovered them quite a few years ago
And noticed that many end up on the ground.
Most really aren't fit for human consumption
But are just fine for the hens!

So, every fall,
We head down to "Apple Island"
With our bushel baskets
And gather as many as we can
To store as a treat for the ladies.


Each day, when Samuel feeds the hens
in the morning,
He will bring in a bowlful of apples
And I cut them up and add
just a cup of oats...


The old saying must be true...
For our ladies are really healthy!

Now, it is my understanding,
That the "apple a day" saying
Originally came from an old Welsh folk proverb...

"Eat an apple on going to bed,
 And you'll keep the doctor from earning his bread."

Of course, we all strive to eat healthy
To avoid unneccessary trips to the doctor...
But I wonder if there are times
when perhaps we think that we are
"healthier" than most...
And don't realize our great need for a physician...

My family was studying in Luke 7 last week
And we can upon the familar parable of the two debtors...
And the story of the immoral woman
who visited Simon the Pharisee's home.

You see, this woman understood,
That she was in desperate need
of the "Great Physician"...
While Simon apparently felt
That he had eaten enough "apples"...

Simon says to himself..."she is a sinner..."
But what he fails to realize is that
"he was a sinner"...for we all are.

Through this parable,
Jesus makes it clear that all of us
are in debt to God
And are unable to pay
Because we are spiritually bankrupt.

The woman knew she was guilty of sinning against God
and was in desperate need of a Saviour...

Great forgiveness provides the opportunity for great love...

Because this woman realized that her sins were great
and she was so aware of her guilt...
Her love for the One who forgave her
just overflowed.

Unfortunately, Simon had no conviction of sin...

In his mind, he wasn't spiritually sick,
So he had no need for a doctor.

It is my prayer,
That I may never come to believe
That there is any "apple"
That could keep me from needing
The Great Physician.

"When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them,
They that are whole have no need of the physician,
but they that are sick:
I came not to call the righteous,
but sinners to repentance."
Mark 2:17

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful my dear! How fun that you have apples that you can get for your little ladies and it's so good for them as well! :o) Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving my dear! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nabila Grace,
    We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, thank you! We had dinner at my parents...just down the road a piece! The food and fellowship were both wonderful. Hope your day went as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arent apples wonderful, so many uses, and such a basic comfort food. I make jars of Apple jelly each Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elizabeth,
    So nice to hear from you, and I totally agree. Apples are such a wonderful gift from our Lord...and so versatile! I had a lovely treat today on this cold November day...Mom stopped in with a huge pot of turkey soup and homemade applesauce...still warm! Moms are so wonderful!
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the toll painting that you did, Mrs. Laura! You have so many different talents. :)

    Your hens sound so much like ours. They love apples . . . and not only apples, but they love pretty much anything that we give them! What a blessing that you have access to so many of the crabapples and are able to make good use of them.

    I appreciated the different thoughts that you shared here . . . may we never forget that we are always in need of our Savior! As I thought about what you shared, John 15 came to mind which states that we cannot bear fruit unless we are abiding in the Vine . . . and thus, have His nourishment and strength flowing in us and through us. How great should be our dependence and reliance upon Him!

    Once again, thank you, and I hope you have a blessed evening and Sunday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed this Laura. First - I loved the part about the hens. I really didn't know they liked apples! How convenient that there is such a good supply.
    I think your analogy is perfect. I, too, hope I never get to the point where I think I have no need of Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, I left quite a long note but I'm afraid I didn't wait long enough for it to post. I was just saying how much I adore your stories about your hens. I miss mine so much!

    Have a great Thanksgiving!
    xo
    Donna @ Comin' Home

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Miss Sarah,

    It is always so nice to hear from you! I'm glad that you liked the toll painting...right now I'm working on a wooden sled for my mom to give as a gift. It has a snowman and a birdhouse on it...it's really cute! I enjoy painting...I love using all the different colors.

    Our hens are like yours...they are happy with just about anything that gets put in front of them. We had another visit by the owl today. He keeps showing up in the tree and just watching the pen. We've been keeping them in their outdoor pen...not letting them free range...at least until our owl "friend" flies the coop!

    You choice of John 15 was perfect...such a convicting chapter! As the word of Christ is spoken to all believers there is a cleansing virtue in that word.The more fruit we bring forth, the more we abound in what is good, the more our Lord is glorified. What a comfort and security in knowing that we can rely totally on our Saviour for everything.

    Hope all goes well with your girls group this week. I'll be interested to read what you are working on!

    With prayers and blessings...
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Linda,
    So nice to have you visit! Our hens do love apples...and just about anything put in front of them! We do so enjoy having the fresh eggs...especially because I do quite a bit of baking!
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Donna,
    I have done the same thing so many times myself! I often forget to wait for that "squiggly word" to type in...and end up losing long comments!

    I'm sorry that don't have your hens anymore. Why did you get rid of them? Are you going to get some new ones?

    Again, it is always good to hear from you!
    Blessings to you and your family,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dear friend,

    I had the wrong link added, and I was not getting your posts :( I have missed you! :(

    But I was able to find you again and I rejoice in this fact.

    Your thoughts again, full of wisdom that can only come from Our Father! Thank you for sharing dear one,

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Laura, I didn't get rid of them--the foxes at them..one at a time. So dear hubby was going to dig down about a foot all the way around the barn (our coop is in it) and plant cement chunks to make it harder for the foxes to dig through. But he hasn't ever gotten around to it. In a way it's been a blessing as I've been on the road so much this year taking care of my father's estate work. I guess the Lord knew I wouldn't be able to care for new hens this year. But this spring, I hope to get a new flock going. It won't feel like spring without my hens!

    :o)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Maria,
    So good to hear from you again...I have missed you as well! Several folks have had difficulty finding my blog lately...I'm so glad that you were able to make a connection. I always enjoy hearing from you, my friend.
    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Donna,
    I am so sorry to hear about your difficulty with the fox...I know how heartbreaking it is to put so much time and effort into your "ladies" and have something like that happen. That owl that showed up a week ago is still visiting, every day, just sitting in the tree by the outdoor pen. We have not let them out to free range since we spotted it. Hopefully, it will get hungry and go some other place soon. Anyway, how fun for you to have some new chicks in the Spring!
    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Laura, I'm trying to catch up in blogland today. Though, I have other things I need to do!! I loved your post today, and the one about your hens staying in. You beautifully tied in the Word of God with both posts!!

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Christine,
    So good to hear from you, my friend! I know what you mean by "catching up"...it seems to be that kind of day around here. Joshua went to have his winter tires put on, Daniel is trying to finish up several papers for school, I have been up to my eyeballs in laundry (where does it all come from??? I think that it grows in the hamper!)as well as helping my mom finish up some things for a get together this weekend. I just took a minute with a cup of tea to check my e-mails...it was so nice to see that you had stopped by! Thank you for the lovely comment as well!
    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Laura ♥

    Oh, how I need Him so! Thank you for sharing this encouragement! It was nice to visit with you and I loved having you visit at my site too!

    Sweetest blessings to you,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Laura,
    Thank you for visiting my blog. :-)
    Love apples and am thankful for our 3 trees which supply many pies and much sauce. :-)
    Wise words...
    Blessings,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good evening, Mrs. Laura! I just wanted to stop by and leave a little note to let you know that I started on a rainbow afghan. :) Thank you so much for doing the post for me about how these are made! I am really enjoying working on it so far. I did make a few mistakes at the very beginning (and not because of your directions :), which by the way, were very good and thorough!), but now I think I have it all figured out . . . and at least the mistakes aren’t too noticeable! As I had a bunch of cream colored yarn, I decided to use that in place of the black . . . which seems to work/match well as most of the leftover yarn that I have is more subdued colors. It is going to be fun to see how this afghan ‘takes shape’ as more colors and rows are added!

    Anyway, I just thought I’d share, and also thank you once again for taking the time to share the instructions and photos of how to make the afghan. And I hope this finds you doing well in Maine! :)

    P.S. Thank you also for your reply to my comment on this post! It was enjoyable to read and also encouraging as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Sharon,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! I agree with you, we all need Him so! Everyday I realize that more and more...what a blessing!

    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Anne,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! How very wonderful for you to have three apple trees! God is so good...
    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are such a dear, Miss Sarah! I can't wait to see your afghan...the cream color sounds like a perfect choice...especially if you have a lot of muted or mellow colors. It should be very striking! Please post of picture of it when you finish! Let me know if you need any more directions...I'll try my best to explain!

    We've had a busy day here in Maine. Joshua was uptown when his truck broke down (overheated). Praise God that we have a mechanic in the family...Josh called Samuel...explained everything over the phone...Sam was able to figure out that the idler pulley (sp?) had seized up and the belt had slipped. We drove up and Sam and Josh got the parts and fixed it in less than an hour! We were so thankful that Joshua didn't need to take it to the garage.

    Tonight I'm working on some salt dough ornaments for my mom's candy baskets...she is going to a get-together this weekend and she always makes candy baskets...I've got paint and paintbrushes all over my kitchen counter...a true crafter's mess!

    Please give our love to your family,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...