We woke to temperatures in the very low 30s...
And the first frost of the season
Not exactly ideal conditions
For an evening soccer playoff game
Under the lights
Two and a half hours north of here.
But we were looking forward to the day
Not only because of the game
But because of the journey
along the way.
You see, most of the away games
Are many miles from home.
So we all pile in the car,
including my 87 year old parents,
and head for parts of Maine that we seldom see.
The trips we have made this season
have been wonderful...
We leave early enough to stop
at interesting places
at interesting places
We listen to my parents share
stories of the "old days"
stories of the "old days"
We meet special folks and make new friends...
We usually get to "eat out"...
which is always a treat...
which is always a treat...
Oh, yes, and then there are the games...
This season, our trips have been much like
our journey with the Lord...
our journey with the Lord...
We need to be prepared as we travel...
As we did today with extra clothing and blankets
For sometimes the conditions are unfavorable...
Some of the roads we travel are newly paved
but many are full of potholes...
There are times when we need to cross bridges
Or maybe even build new ones...
![]() |
| This is an amazing bridge that we cross on our way through Bucksport... |
We travel for many miles
Often out of our way
Occasionally, we get lost for a time
Occasionally, we get lost for a time
And the trip can be very costly...
So...We need to follow the "road map"
And watch for signs
Because often our time is limited...
We need to stop for "refueling" along the journey
And take the time to be "fed"...
To sustain us along the way.
We need to be mindful of our conduct
And "sportsmanship"
Wherever we are...
Because of the "Family" we represent...
To sustain us along the way.
We need to be mindful of our conduct
And "sportsmanship"
Wherever we are...
Because of the "Family" we represent...
Sometimes, when we take the time to stop
and look closely...
We find wonderful "treasures"...
We need to share the stories of the past...
Learn from those who have gone before us...
For my son, Daniel,
It has always been "about the journey..."
I recall a recent afternoon game
Where, as we sat on the bleachers...
We watched as Daniel removed
his brand new soccer cleats...
And gave them to one of his players
Because he had just blown a hole in his.
You see, most of the young men
I recall a recent afternoon game
Where, as we sat on the bleachers...
We watched as Daniel removed
his brand new soccer cleats...
And gave them to one of his players
Because he had just blown a hole in his.
You see, most of the young men
whom he coaches do not walk with Lord...
So, he attempts to share with them
Through words and actions
That there is Something bigger and
more important in life than soccer...
Of course, he would love to see them
win every game
win every game
And take the State Championship this Saturday...
But, he knows, that he can only help to prepare them...
For ultimately,
the choice belongs to them...
How much they want it...
As is our decision to follow Christ.
In the end, there will be winners and losers...
You can't just "partially" win...
Just as we can't just "partially" trust in Him.
My prayer is that we will all
make the most of this amazing journey...
For, in the end, it will be well worth the trip.
"Know ye not that they which
run in a race run all, but one receiveth
the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
And every man that striveth
for the mastery is temperate in all things.
Now they do it to obtain
a corruptible crown;
but we an incorruptible.
I therefore so run, not as uncertainly;
so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
But I keep under my body,
and bring it into subjection:
lest that by any means,
when I have preached to others,
I myself should be a castaway."
I Corinthians 9:24-27
run in a race run all, but one receiveth
the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
And every man that striveth
for the mastery is temperate in all things.
Now they do it to obtain
a corruptible crown;
but we an incorruptible.
I therefore so run, not as uncertainly;
so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
But I keep under my body,
and bring it into subjection:
lest that by any means,
when I have preached to others,
I myself should be a castaway."
I Corinthians 9:24-27


Dear Laura...I enjoyed your post! We have to plan for whatever lies ahead! Hugs ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteI was blessed to read about your son's "hands on" application of applying the Word, there is no truer gospel.
ReplyDeleteMrs. G
I love your story about coaching Laura. It's so true..and inspiring. Isn't it wonderful to have a son following the Lord's ways? Maine..I would love to see that in the fall. :o)
ReplyDeletexo
Donna @ Comin' Home
What a delight to be given the opportunity to travel and be an encouragement to our children.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post dear friend. It brings to mind the road trips that we have made as a family...they are full of wonderful memories.
M.
Dearest Friends,
ReplyDeleteThank you all so much for your loving comments...what a blessing to find them when I open my blog each day!
Teri~your comments are always so uplifting! Isn't it wonderful to trust in the plans that the Lord has for us!
Mrs. G~My husband and I thank the Lord daily for the wonderful blessings He has given us in our sons. We treasure every moment with them.
Donna~Maine is beautiful in the fall for sure...why don't you come for a visit?
Maria~Some of our dearest memories are made on our road trips. I think it is because we have the time to talk with one another without distraction.
Sweet blessings to all you lovely ladies this morning!
Laura
It sounds like you all have some fun and special times together! :) And how wonderful that your parents are a part of all of this as well. That must be so nice!
ReplyDeleteI appreciated and was blessed by the spiritual insights that you shared here in relation to our “journey” as followers of Christ . . . what you shared is so true! And what a blessing to these boys that your son is seeking to be the light of Christ to them in both word and example. May the seed that is planted take root in their hearts and grow and bear fruit!
Dear Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind comments. We have been so blessed to live so closely to my parents. My sons have the opportunity to build memories with them every day.
Daniel prays for his "young men" each and every day...hoping that they will come to know Christ...and walk daily with Him. He so enjoys working with teenager boys.
Blessings to you and your family, my dear,
Mrs. Laura
What a great time we had with Gram and Gramp this fall traveling to all of Daniel's games. I still can't believe that the athletic director gave us permission to climb up the shaky staging to tape the home games! A few times we were sure that the wind was going to blow us right on to the field! What great memories.
ReplyDeleteDear Joshua,
ReplyDeleteI, too, am going to miss our trips...what a great time we had! I have to admit...there were times when I was a bit nervous when you, Samuel, and James were standing way up on that flimsy plywood taping the games! You got some great pictures, though! I know Daniel really appreciated you doing that for him. What a terrific teaching tool.
Love,
Mom
What a beautiful story of traveling! ;o)
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila Grace,
ReplyDeleteWe feel so blessed to have these memories with my parents...thank you for your sweet comment. I so enjoy hearing from you.
Blessings,
Laura