My son, Joshua, is our resident computer expert.
No, he has never received formal training in this area...
In fact, he holds a degree in business administration
and has started his own lawn care business...
and has started his own lawn care business...
But, nevertheless,
whenever any of us...
including our neighbors...
Have any issues with their computers,
or televisions, or anything electronic...
They call on Joshua.
So, it wasn't surprising to answer the phone
yesterday morning and hear dad ask for Josh.
"I've done something to my computer again.."
Josh promised to check it out as soon as he could.
When he returned home from my parents,
He was carrying 4 shoe boxes.
Gram sent these down...she wants you to
"doll them up"...
My mom is one of the most talented ladies I know.
She can create the most wonderful gifts with her hands.
She had just completed these 4 dolls
for her great granddaughters...
But she thought they needed a little
"added touch" from me.
So, as I thought about some special way
to "doll these up"...
I pondered over what those words really meant...
Webster defines "all dolled up" in this manner...
to dress in fancy or formal clothing,
to take exta time with and be concerned about
one's appearance...
During our family Bible study,
We had a wonderful discussion about "appearance"...
Growing up, we have taught our children
that God does not look on our outward appearance
But, rather, on our hearts...
"But the LORD said unto Samuel,
Look not on his countenance,
or on the height of his stature;
because I have refused him:
for the LORD seeth not as man seeth;
for man looketh on the outward appearance,
but the LORD looketh on the heart."
I Samuel 16:7
At the same time, we also know that,
being followers of Christ,
we represent Him to an unsaved world...
And thus our "appearance" and our "demeanor"
Are very important.
"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair,
and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
But let it be the hidden man of the heart,
in that which is not corruptible,
even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit,
which is in the sight of God of great price."
I Peter 3: 3-4
So, how do we present ourselves to the world
in a manner that is pleasing to
and worthy of our Lord...
And, at the same time,
Not get all caught up in...
How we look.
"For if any be a hearer of the word,
and not a doer,
he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass"
James 1:23
The answer to me seems quite simple.
If we diligently study God's word
And apply what we learn to our lives
We will be living for Him...
The focus will be on our Saviour
and not on ourselves.
So, it only seems fitting that
our appearance and our demeanor
would bring honor to Him...
Because our bodies are His holy temple
And so...we will dress and act
to please our Lord
And not to please the world.
"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain:
but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."
Proverbs 31:30
For we want people to look upon us...
But to see Him...
So, as I thought about some special way
to "doll these up"...
I pondered over what those words really meant...
Webster defines "all dolled up" in this manner...
to dress in fancy or formal clothing,
to take exta time with and be concerned about
one's appearance...
During our family Bible study,
We had a wonderful discussion about "appearance"...
Growing up, we have taught our children
that God does not look on our outward appearance
But, rather, on our hearts...
"But the LORD said unto Samuel,
Look not on his countenance,
or on the height of his stature;
because I have refused him:
for the LORD seeth not as man seeth;
for man looketh on the outward appearance,
but the LORD looketh on the heart."
I Samuel 16:7
At the same time, we also know that,
being followers of Christ,
we represent Him to an unsaved world...
And thus our "appearance" and our "demeanor"
Are very important.
"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair,
and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
But let it be the hidden man of the heart,
in that which is not corruptible,
even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit,
which is in the sight of God of great price."
I Peter 3: 3-4
So, how do we present ourselves to the world
in a manner that is pleasing to
and worthy of our Lord...
And, at the same time,
Not get all caught up in...
How we look.
"For if any be a hearer of the word,
and not a doer,
he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass"
James 1:23
The answer to me seems quite simple.
If we diligently study God's word
And apply what we learn to our lives
We will be living for Him...
The focus will be on our Saviour
and not on ourselves.
So, it only seems fitting that
our appearance and our demeanor
would bring honor to Him...
Because our bodies are His holy temple
And so...we will dress and act
to please our Lord
And not to please the world.
"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain:
but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."
Proverbs 31:30
For we want people to look upon us...
But to see Him...
"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed,
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God and the Father by him."
Colossians 3:17
giving thanks to God and the Father by him."
Colossians 3:17


Seems like every time I visit, Gram is making something for someone else. She sure is one special lady!
ReplyDeleteShe certainly is, Josh. We are so blessed to have her and Gramp living right down the road!
ReplyDeleteThanks for being such a great helper to them!
Love,
Mom
What you shared int his post was a blessing to me, Mrs. Laura! The thoughts that you shared combined with the verses from Scripture present such clear and convicting truths. How important it is for us to remember Who we are to be representing! There is a passage of Scripture (and I cannot recall the reference right now) that speaks of being a “fragrance of Christ.” As I read through what you shared, that thought came to mind once again . . . when others see us, know us, observe us, are they seeing Christ? Is He the fragrance that they sense? And as you mentioned, it is as we focus on our Savior, and not ourselves, and as we apply His word to our lives, this is when this fragrance of Christ can emanate from us.
ReplyDeleteOnce again, thank you for sharing all of this, and I hope you are able to come up with special ways to ‘doll up’ the dolls! :)
Dear Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeleteSo nice to hear from you again. Thank you for your encouraging comments. I, too, love the scriptures which talk of the fragrance or aroma of Christ such as this one...
"For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life And who is adequate for these things?" 2 Corinthians 2:15,16
I've been thinking about how I can "doll up" the dolls...I'm thinking of doing a felt apple basket for the two that look like farmers. I thought that they could hold them in their hands. I also have some really cute old fashioned buttons that I might put on the little girl dresses. Do you have any suggestions??? I'd certainly welcome the help!
Have a blessed day,
Mrs. Laura
The verse that you quoted, Mrs. Laura, is the one that I was thinking of! It is such a beautiful and convicting one.
ReplyDeleteThe ideas that you have for the dolls sound wonderful! I wish I could be a help and have suggestions to give, but unfortunately, I am not a terribly creative person! Unless I have a pattern or design to follow and/or copy, I have a hard time coming up with new ideas. Unlike you :) . . . I have been so inspired by your creativity! And have garnered many ideas from your blog that I would like to try sometime. By the way, my Mom thought these dolls were so cute! Will you be sharing a photo of them once you are finished with them? It would be fun to see them after you have added your special touches!
Dear Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeleteOh, my dear, you are too kind. I can tell from your blogs that you have an abundance of creative talent...just look at the amazing girls group you and Miss Leah have started...that in itself is such a creative endeavor! I'm so glad that I am able to share some ideas with you. When I get a few moments, I have quite a number of children's craft ideas that I have used over the years which I would love to pass on to you...perhaps you might find one or two useful for your group.
Please thank your mom for me...I think the dolls are adorable as well. My mother has had the pattern for them for probably 20+ years or so...she has some great old patterns! I'll make sure to take a picture when I finish decorating them.
Hope you and your family have a blessed day!
With love,
Mrs. Laura
Leah and I would love any children's craft ideas that you may have to share with us, Mrs. Laura! We are always looking for new things to do with the girls. After having our group for over four years now, sometimes it can be challenging to come up with new, creative ideas!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words! And I will pass your 'thank you' on to my Mom. :) I am looking forward to seeing the dolls once they are finished.
I hope that you have a blessed day as well!
Dear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI am so blessed to hear of your girls group, and your commitment to them. Often is the case where we see someone start a ministry...but they don't seem to "stick" with it...and a year or so later the ministry is no longer. It is so important for us, as older ladies, to teach the young ladies to walk with Him...to teach them to be modest and submissive, how to be "keepers of the home", how to be future "helpmeets"...the list goes on. Your group is such an encouragement. I am collecting together some crafts that I have done in the past as I cull out my sewing nook...I hope they will be of use to you and Miss Leah!
Please give our best to your family...have a wonderful day!
Mrs. Laura
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and also for collecting crafts for us, Mrs. Laura! You are so sweet. :) Yes, it is so important for the older women to teach the younger women! I am so thankful for the older women that the Lord has placed in my life who have taught me and been an example to me of these things that you mentioned (and much more!) . . . including those whom I have met via blogging such as yourself. :) And it has been a blessing to, in turn, have the opportunity for Leah and I to be 'older women' to these younger girls. It is wonderful when the body of Christ can function and be as He intended it to be!
ReplyDeleteThank you again, and I hope that you have a wonderful day as well!
Dear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI just wanted you to know what a blessing you have been to us as well, my dear. You are an amazing writer...but, better still, a humble servant of our Lord. What a graceful example you set for all those who come in contact with you.
Precious blessings to you and your family,
Mrs. Laura
Oh Laura! I just love those dolls! I have one from when I was little. The head has come out and I don't know how to get it to stay in the body! The pictures bring back many memories!
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila Grace,
ReplyDeleteMy mom has had the patterns for these forever! She made me one when I was a little girl. I still have mine...along with many other treasures she has made for me.
Have a blessed Sunday,
Laura