Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Special Post For Miss Sarah...

I think that it is simply wonderful how we can share our crafts, recipes, testimonies, and prayer requests with friends all over the world through our blogs. Recently, a very lovely young lady, Miss Sarah, had seen the post about my "rainbow" afghans and has decided to attempt one herself. She likes to crochet, and has been saving left over balls of yarn from previous projects. These are just perfect for rainbow afghans! So, this post is an attempt to give a bit more specific directions as to how I make these afghans. Hope this helps, Miss Sarah! Please e-mail me with any questions.

First, I decide how big I want the afghan to be. I generally make it big enough to fit a queen size bed. The one that I am working on now is this size. I started this one with a chain of 220, using black yarn. You will need  several big skeins of black yarn as this is your main color. You can adjust how big you want your afghan by the chain you start with. I most always use a size I/9 crochet hook.

The first five rows are simply single crochet with black yarn. This creates your border.

Notice that I leave about 5 or so inches of yarn at the beginning and the end of each row. This will create your fringe on the side.



Now for your first color row. Pick any color of your choice. Single crochet 9 stitches. I crochet in the back of the stitch.


See how it resembles a V...

For the 10th stitch...instead of going into the back of the stitch...push your crochet hook directly below the stitch (into the stitch below it) and crochet just as if you are making a single crochet. It will make a stitch that resembles the letter V.





Crochet 1 single crochet in next stitch...then "dip" the next stitch again.

Keep this same pattern going through the entire row.

Now, for the second color row. Pick a new color. This time "dip" the first stitch...then follow the pattern...crochet 9, dip one, crochet one, dip one to the end of the row.

Here's another view of how I "dip" down into the row below...

When you start the third row, pick a new color and then single crochet the first stitch, dip the second stitch, and start your pattern of 9 single crochets, one dip, one single crochet, one dip to end of row.

The fourth row begins with a new color and a dip stitch, then a single crochet, a dip stitch, and then your pattern.
This picture helps you see the pattern a little better...

After 9 color rows...do one black row.

Every 12th row you will have to start with a "dip"...just like in row two (color rows).

After I do 7 or 8 rows, I tie off 5 rows together both at the beginning and the end.

When I feel that the afghan is long enough, I simply end with 5 single crochet rows in black.

When it is all completed, I trim the fringe so that it is all the same length.


Hope this helps, Miss Sarah. Please ask if you have any other questions. I apologize for any confusion you might experience because of my picture taking or explanations! I have learned that it is so much easier to teach someone something in person than in a blog post! I can hardly wait to see your afghan on your blog! Happy crocheting!

"And that ye study to be quiet,
and to do your own business,
and to work with your own hands..."

I Thessalonians 4:11

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do,
 do it with thy might;
for there is no work,
 nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom,
in the grave, whither thou goest."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this very thoughtful and helpful post, Mrs. Laura! It was so sweet of you, and I greatly appreciated it. :) I read through all of the directions, and I believe I understand it all! The photos really helped as well, and you did a wonderful job explaining everything. :) If I do end up having questions, I will be sure to ask!

    Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I am looking forward to starting one of these afghans hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Sarah,
    You are so very welcome, my dear! Like I said before, it would be so much easier in person. I can't wait to see how yours looks. I forgot to mention that you don't have to have black as your main color...my mother made one once for one of my nieces and she wanted the main color to be bright pink to match her room. Mom followed the same pattern, however, every 10 rows she did two rows of the hot pink...it really made it stand out. You can certainly improvise with this pattern! I just love it because it is so easy...I often work on it while I'm sitting in the rocking chair listening to books on tape or to scripture messages...you don't really have to concentrate on it at all.

    May God continue to bless you, your family, and your "girls group!"
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Laura,

    This are just so pretty! :)

    Right now, I am knitting...but crochet is next...I miss the one hook.

    I pray that you are doing well and that Our Lord is keeping you in blessed peace.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! I wish I had someone near me to teach me! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Maria,
    Thanks for stopping by! What are you knitting? I have been working on some socks for winter. I finished some winter hats not so long ago. Hope all is well with you and your family.
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nabila Grace,
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all spend an afternoon together...sitting around the woodstove...sipping tea and teaching each other the crafts we love! It would be just like an old fashioned quilting bee...I could think of nothing better on a cold winter afternoon!
    Blessings to you, dear friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Laura...Thanks for sharing these instructions! Who knows..maybe someday I will get to crocheting again. I mostly make small projects. But this year..sewing seems to be my 'calling'. I have a pretty big line up of projects. I love crochet though or knitting on a small loom. It's a very portable project.

    Beautiful afghan!!and pattern!

    xo
    Donna @ Comin' Home

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Donna!
    I always love looking at the projects that you are working on! I've never knit on a small loom...I'll have to try it sometime.
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...